• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
I wish there had been a little more depth to Yuto - instead of him simply being a bad seed. It may turn out that his parents' deaths drove him over the edge, but if he's to be believed, he's basically evil and power-hungry for the sake of being evil and power-hungry.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
the's basically evil and power-hungry for the sake of being evil and power-hungry.

Yep, an a priori bad guy. It would have made a better character for it to have a more filled out back story, but the real problem with him is that from a young age he was able to conceal it so completely. Benio might have seen him through rose-colored glasses but she doesn't strike me as someone who would be so totally hoodwinked like that. Particularly with someone who had such contempt for her. And not only her but every other kid, the parents maybe, and most of all the inexplicably useless Seigen.

And of course there is the question of where he got the forbidden knowledge. The only way to fix this plot hole is if it turns out there was character not yet introduced that got to Yuto and corrupted him while nobody else was looking.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I wish there had been a little more depth to Yuto - instead of him simply being a bad seed. It may turn out that his parents' deaths drove him over the edge, but if he's to be believed, he's basically evil and power-hungry for the sake of being evil and power-hungry.

Agreed, he appeared almost comically evil to me which made it a bit hard to take him seriously. And it's a bit too convenient that his appearence instantly absolved Rokuro from all blame concerning that "incident"...
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
And of course there is the question of where he got the forbidden knowledge. The only way to fix this plot hole is if it turns out there was character not yet introduced that got to Yuto and corrupted him while nobody else was looking.

That mostly might be the case. Before Yuuto leaves Benio, both of his eyes are fine but when he's seen with Rokuro in the flashbacks or pictures he starts wearing an eyepatch and his right eye changes color. The family that adopted Yuuto must have done something before he met Rokuro.
MoMo990066

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

I don't think it's his parents death (he talks crap about them) in fact I think he was jealous of Benio because everyone saw her as a prodigy and his jealousy took over and made him power hungry. The mangaka has not really explained his reason for wanting power yet but this is what I am assuming.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
We've known the guy for what, 10? 15 minutes? Why is everyone taking his narrative at face value and expecting a complete backstory already?

"if he's to be believed" I think that's key.

Seems to me like there are a lot of reasons not to believe everything he says. I can think of a lot of different explanations, none of which would make sense to reveal at this point in time.

Now if 40 episodes from now he's still clearly evil for evil's sake, then that'll suck. But it's waaay too early to leap to criticizing the story for having plot holes and trite characterization. For the first time this narrative finally feels like it might have somewhere interesting to go.

So manga-readers, please don't disabuse me of that notion, or I'll have to give up on the series now. And please remember that what you don't say can be just as revealing as what you do.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Why is everyone taking his narrative at face value and expecting a complete backstory already?

To be fair, I wasn't expecting to learn everything about his personal history right off the bat. I just thought it would be nice to have something that distinguished him from a generic Big Bad figure - which, as you and others have pointed out, we're likely to get at some point.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm giving the author too much credit, but I think Yuta just wants everyone to see him as the generic Big Bad with no redeeming qualities, and he's really more of an Itachi-esque character, with the loopy chief onmyouji behind the whole Machiavellian plan.

The massacre was going to come out sooner or later, and now we have Benio and Rokuro finally fired up and united in their commitment to get stronger, instead of being at each other's throats. They needed a Big Bad to kick them into gear, one stronger than any ordinary demon, before the real Big Bad their offspring will have to face comes along. As long as Benio still thought her brother had once been kind and gentle, she'd have reservations about doing full-on battle with him, so he's just shredded that by getting her to hate his guts (it wasn't quite clear if she stopped Rokuro to save Yuta or to save Rokuro).

Feh, it will probably be something entirely different, but for now I'm enjoying the story I'm writing in my head. Wink
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
"if he's to be believed" I think that's key.

And who is to be believed? Part of that backstory was not told by either Rokuro or Yuta or the remarkably useless Seigen. If the story is to be discredited later on then you will have to nuke the "god's-eye" narrator and pretty much everything is out the window at that point.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
There isn't as much "God's eye" narration as you think, i.e., info that couldn't have come from either Yuta or Rokuro, such as the thoughts of the little girl who was uneasy about the ritual and glasses girl getting smacked down out of Rokuro's sight. But what's indisputably omniscient is pretty inconsequential to either a truthful or deceptive narrative.

Although it's presented as one seamless flashback, it's clearly being told out loud by Yuta and Rokuro, since when it's over Benio says, "What are you talking about?" and Seigen says, "What you just heard is the truth about the Hinatsuki tragedy." So things like Yuta gleefully moving on to the next victim and looking all evil could be chalked up to his part of the narrative, rather than truth.

If this ends up being a crapfest after all and he's cliche Evil to be Evil, the reliability of this narrative will be a moot issue. But if there are hidden agendas, they haven't yet foreclosed on that possibility. But as ever, ymmv.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Yehey new character a.k.a. Subaru Mitejima Smile

And wow I just realized that she is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro. Hehe no wonder Smile

Personally, I enjoy Miyuki Sawashiro more when she voices higher-pitched roles and girls with sweet voices like Subaru Mitejima as well as Kanna (in Parasyte) and her role in Photo Kano.

Which is a contrast to her usual low-voice and mature, deep voice that she often uses (e.g. Maoyu, Danganronpa, K, etc.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10
Quote:
Benio offering him the last piece of her coveted treat was just too great.

The last piece in that box. It looked like she still had half a dozen more boxes to tuck into. But yeah, it was a sweet moment.

As for the rest of the episode, I've lost all the enthusiasm for the series that the last episode kindled. I don't care anymore if Yuta is secretly good or the most generic of evils. He could turn out to be a Pokemon in disguise for all it matters, because it's now clear this series can't be saved. Or rather, refuses to save itself. 12-Sai does the whole tween dating angst thing so much better than these "Ew, cooties!" kids. I think the only thing that could salvage this now is if his arm ate her. And then ate him. That would be worth it just to see the look on hentai-pants' face as he beholds the result of his meddling. Smile

But I think Seigen had the right idea - to just shrug and wash his hands of the whole thing, and get out while he can.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I know that we just met him, but Tadara is hands-down the best thing to happen to this show.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
As for the rest of the episode, I've lost all the enthusiasm for the series that the last episode kindled.

Tragic, but fair.

I recommend the manga though, if at the least because it's faster paced. Also the art is exceptional, and the mangaka has a strong grasp of what makes good action.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10 review wrote:
The whole day felt both ferociously awkward and subtly sweet, which I'd bet is a good summary of what dating is like for many young teenagers.

Dunno. There were moments but I felt mostly the situation is being mishandled. I get it that it was supposed be comedy and they did deliver a few moments of that but at the expense of foundations of the story.

There are ways for two kids to get together and have a kid romance, but this isn't one of them. Any inclination they might have had for each other is being undermined by the salacious teasing and goading of adults who are supposed to be authority figures. Who (kid or otherwise) wants to hold hands or have a first kiss with someone you might like with such people watching?

There are ways to establish and conduct an arranged marriage, but this isn't one of them. You have a sit down and a serious talk to establish everyone's exceptions. Not play embarrassing little tricks on the principals and go to great lengths to engineer awkward situations.

To the extent this works it because they managed to build two main characters that actually do seem to have some chemistry between them -- as long as the subject isn't about the two of them making babies. I like how Rokuro can have a sotto voce interaction with Benio and she responds in kind without any obnoxious tsundere act. And when the fighting starts there isn't any posing between them. So I think this anime is going in the right general direction but the romance thing is actually mostly wan. Benio is cute when she blushes though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 16