• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna Replaced in Morose Mononokean English Dub Cast (Update)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:

I was once in similar position as Vic. I did something wrong, which I honestly didn't know was a wrong, until a superior confronted me in private. I realized my error and never did such ever again. And it frightens me to what could've happened if social media was a thing back then.

The fact that you heard out your superior and did something about it almost certainly makes you a better person than Vic. I really doubt that he had no idea that he was making some people uncomfortable, and I've heard enough accounts that he was directly told in some manner by many people in unrelated situations years ago, that I think it's pretty darn likely he knew and just didn't do anything.

But yes, the whole "call out" culture thing is mostly bad when it comes to individual people who aren't famous, and the accusations are made by just one person, maybe even anonymously on the internet, and people are expected to believe it without question. I wish people could get the huge difference between the situation with Vic, where he has a long history, is well known, and many accusers using their real life identities, versus that.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Monica Rial said on twitter (in one of the tweets quoted in another ANN article) that she personally confronted Vic about this, twice, over a decade ago, and that this issue was brought to Vic's attention multiple times. And I believe her, for a lot of reasons, including the fact that other people are backing this up.

Vic may or may not have realized what he was doing was wrong initially, but when confronted about it he didn't stop, instead he continued to do the same thing. For over a decade.

Yes, I saw that. And it's disappointing she was the only one (that we know of). Why didn't the others do the same? Why didn't they go to their bosses and pressed the issue? If they knew Vic was committing wrongs and did nothing, that might actually makes them accomplices.

As for Vic, we can only speculate what's going through his head. And that's for the courts to decide (if it comes to that). But I'm sort of inclined to believe his story because there are times people rushing to get into a position for the camera and well bad positioning. So was it whoops or whoopy?

Mad_Scientist wrote:
. Vic himself has been mentioning the allegations and asking for his fans to defend his honour at conventions and in his fan club's discord for years. So, yes, he knows.

If you were in trouble, wouldn't you ask for help from friends and family as well? Guilty or Innocent?

But I will say this, those fans who used threats or intimidation, are wrong to do so. Never do that!

meruru wrote:
I'm skeptical of the claims "his life is destroyed." His career as a voice actor? Maybe. But his career as a voice actor is also very much the root of his problems. He wouldn't have had the opportunity to do these things if he weren't famous. So it makes me think perhaps it would be better if he had a different career. Not that I ever advocated that he should be fired from voice acting, because I'm pretty ambivalent on that.

But there are plenty of reasons that the companies could have decided to fire him besides only "oh, the internet hates him now." For example, they could have realized from this they can't let him go to conventions to promote their shows anymore, but that also could mean to them that Vic could no longer perform an essential duty of his job. I'll point out that I haven't really heard of any people in the industry trying to defend him, only those with negative opinions, which makes me think he was already a problem to work with. I hope only that the companies had this type of discussion before replacing him, rather than immediately bowing to public opinion.

That's the thing, there were too many burned bridges. Would you return to work with people that just backstabbed you?

And if Vic tried to move to another career, they will call up Funimation, Sentai, or whomever he dubbed for and they will say, "He's a sexual predator". Not sure about you, but HR would be like nooooope. And I doubt CBS will let him near their Star Trek stars or let him voice for Star Trek Online anymore. Heck, it's even in the realm of possibility that CBS could pull ST: Continues off Youtube because of this.

But we don't really know until we know. One way or another, it's a shame this happened to this little community of ours. If you see a wrong, don't sit on it, report it!
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
Vic has been told by more than one person. But many have chosen to stay silent about that. Who can blame them, seeing how huge a controversy it's become? On top of that, there's also years of uncomfortable body language, and the fact that he knew darn well he was interacting with underage people, and so a sensible person would have used more discretion. He shouldn't even have to be told more than once, if he's a decent sort of person. But yes, it is wrong that more wasn't done by con staff or anime companies.

Also, I don't have a problem at all if companies looking to hire him do background checks, find out about this, and decide not to hire him. As long as people on the internet aren't going out of their way to make sure he does not get hired. Because the fact is, he DID do things that are not professional. That would be just a natural outcome that's been long coming. Again though, it's a different story if people decide to harass him or his workplace about it.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:24 am Reply with quote
Kind of off topic, but could one of the mods clarify why the other two articles on Vic were deleted? Just wondering since I got an email on a notification on both, go to check, and they're gone.
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Kind of off topic, but could one of the mods clarify why the other two articles on Vic were deleted? Just wondering since I got an email on a notification on both, go to check, and they're gone.

They shouldn't be, checked and these links still work for me at least:
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-02-04/vic-mignogna-no-longer-a-member-of-rwby-cast/.142946
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-01-30/far-from-perfect-fans-recount-unwanted-affection-from-voice-actor-vic-mignogna/.142212
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
NickPenrhyn wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

They shouldn't be, checked and these links still work for me at least:
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-02-04/vic-mignogna-no-longer-a-member-of-rwby-cast/.142946
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-01-30/far-from-perfect-fans-recount-unwanted-affection-from-voice-actor-vic-mignogna/.142212

Thanks...I guess I got the wrong links in the email. It works fine now.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
There’s literally no way they would redo the lines unless it was previously the intent to do so (like Noragami Aragato) or because there was such a big controversy over one petty thing (Prison School).

Ooo I remember the Prison School one (Gamergate losers or something like that) but what was redone in Noragami Aragoto? I only watched that one subbed as it aired, and then dubbed on Blu-Ray.

Yeah, I keep searching and I can't find what happened with Noragami either.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
If you see a wrong, don't sit on it, report it!

Unless you deal with people who have been sexually preyed upon or have experienced it yourself, it is not always easy to report these things. Victims of abuse often blame themselves for these events and it doesn't help that society is quick to reason that it was the victim's fault because of how they dress, where they were, etc. You can take as many precautions as you like but bad stuff can and does still occur.

With famous individuals, there are always fans who are usually quick to side with the famous person and are willing to assume that the victim is at fault or making the story up to get attention. Many won't believe that such a person would be capable of doing anything wrong, and many more won't be willing to do anything as long as this person is a cash cow.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
You know, the people who feel so strongly that he did nothing wrong should take note of the fact that next to no one is out there publicly taking his side--no voice actors and no con-runners, aside from two individuals believed to be guilty parties themselves.
lycopene

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Stelman257 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
There’s literally no way they would redo the lines unless it was previously the intent to do so (like Noragami Aragato) or because there was such a big controversy over one petty thing (Prison School).

Ooo I remember the Prison School one (Gamergate losers or something like that) but what was redone in Noragami Aragoto? I only watched that one subbed as it aired, and then dubbed on Blu-Ray.

Yeah, I keep searching and I can't find what happened with Noragami either.

Hiyori's two friends were temporarily recast for the Aragoto simuldub. I think its because they live in CA. They were able to come back to record their lines before the home video release. Thats probably what Geminist was referring to
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:

Hiyori's two friends were temporarily recast for the Aragoto simuldub. I think its because they live in CA. They were able to come back to record their lines before the home video release. Thats probably what Gemnist was referring to

It was, thanks.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
So, it's good to see that something is finally happening about this. Everybody who's been on staff or been friends with staff at cons has known about this for a long time; his behavior has been going on for well over a decade. For a fun exercise, go take a look at this list of convention appearances and figure out how many Texas conventions he hasn't made an appearance at in at least 10 years. Spoilers for those who want to figure it out for themselves: spoiler[only A-Kon and Anime Matsuri are still willing to put up with him, and now that A-Kon's management has recently changed, it's probably just down to Matsuri, which is a garbage fire of a convention anyway -- if you guys need another scandal to report on, look up info about Matsuri's owners].

But what I really want to know is, why did ANN decide to report on this now? ANN has existed since before any of this started going on, and surely you've had people on staff who have heard about it. Obviously ANN wields a huge amount of influence, and them reporting on it was enough to make the industry finally do something about Vic. Did you not know you had so much influence? If you had known, would you have done something earlier? Now that you know, what has to happen in order for you to take seriously other allegations of misconduct?
GVentola

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Basically, Vic's career is over, and to me, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. He kissed and hugged girls without their consent, which wouldn't have even been considered wrong a few decades ago. It's like giving a guy the electric chair for embezzling a few hundred dollars without pulling a gun on anyone. I have not been coming to Vic's defense because I'm a big time fan of his. I like Generator Gawl and the Full Metal Panic franchise, and I'm halfway through Star Trek Continues, because of my past as a Trekker more than anything else. But I don't watch Full Metal Alchemist or any of the other series he's been in, since I've not dedicated myself to following his career. But, frankly, I'm more disillusioned with his colleagues in the dub industry for jumping on the virtue-signalling bandwagon, saying, "Look at us! We disapprove of Vic's actions! We're so wonderful and holy!" And the hashtag "kickvic"--that's just not right. And remember, as I've said before, I am a woman who has been kissed several times--on the lips--without giving consent. Yes, it's unpleasant, but it should be dealt with one on one in private. I have healed by talking with the guy personally, not by dragging his name through the dirt publicly and ruining his career and consequentially, his life. And that guy who Vic "mounted"--c'mon, that's horseplay, not a sexual violation! And no, "mad scientist", I am not "victim blaming", because I am calling into question the idea that these people are even victims. I am also someone who has come to the brink of suicide several times, and I fear Vic may end up being driven to despair and come to this point as well, with him losing all his job opportunities and his colleagues viciously turning against him. So, the Organization can ban me from the forum if they will, because I have a contrary opinion, but I am outta here. Anime News Network is not the only game in town.
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:53 pm Reply with quote
https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog/news/fixing-the-staircase-vic-mignogna-sexual-assault-allegations/

This blog is by far the best neteral breakdown of the events, anyone still defending Vic should read this and read the links provided.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure why ANN hasn’t talked about it yet, but Todd Haberkorn has been accused of a singular, but far more serious, instance of sexual assault:

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/anime/vic-mignogna-fired-rooster-teeth-rwby-qrow-branwen-controversy-sexual-misconduct-allegations-jessie-pridemore-rape-todd-haberkorn/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7