• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Piracy Anime, Manga Sites KissAnime, KissManga Shut Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Speaking for myself, I tend to watch a lot of anime on my phone nowadays, so torrents arent a great option.

If you have an Android phone they're still a viable option. If not...welp, see what I said about Apple earlier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dale B

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:13 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Also To all of you mentioning torrents. They really arent a very good option for everyone and you need to quickly realize that and while may not be as dangerous as kissanime became it also carries it's own risks. May eventually have to search out another site eventually. There were some shows I had on a watchlist that weren't available anywhere to watch.

I began torrenting shows in the mid 2000's before the days of legal streaming. I still torrent the occasional obscure show like the 2000 Madhouse adaptation of Tezuka's Hidamari no Ki. I also torrent some Netflix exclusives like Violet Evergarden or Carole & Tuesday because I'm a Netflix subscriber but have no interest in waiting for them to bundle up episodes. Otherwise I watch everything on legal streaming sites.

That said, I have no idea what those "risks" you refer to are. Maybe it's because I run Linux everywhere but not once have I had a computer problem that traces back to a torrented download. I've gotten one notice from an ISP in my life, and it was because I downloaded an episode of a popular live-action show. I've had three ISPs in this period; not one of them ever said anything about downloading anime.

The only issues with torrents is when someone downloads actual software that comes with a crack patch. Those usually have either a rootkit or trojan in them to cause trouble, or to time out and create a zombie for a DDOS attack. The really sophisticated gotcha's have randsomware in them.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
As a Kannazuki no Miko fan, I’m saddened by a lack of a good legal site to watch the series subbed. The only way to to watch it is through the English dub, but I want to watch the Japanese version. CR doesn’t have KNM, Funimation doesn’t have KNM, not even Netflix!
I could use Kiss, but they have that stupid ad locking nonsense for some reason.

Even worse, this makes me worried about the future of a English translation of the recently released spin off manga.

Sad

I have the Geneon DVDs for Kannazuki no Miko.
There's always a chance it could be re-licensed someday by Sentai or Discotek.
Keep your fingers crossed.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Albion Hero wrote:
95% of anime fans don't care about those, people care about watching the new streaming shows or popular shonens and legal streams have you covered there.

You are referring to a "General Audience", not necessarily the majority. For people outside of the anime community, they look like the majority. For people inside the anime community, they are the periphery. The focus on the latest season to season shows is an entry point for anime fans, not how sustained anime consumption works. It is always important to watch new shows, but it is not the be all end all, and fans know that.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
It's not really about good lawyers, it's about cost. Comics are pretty niche. They'd spend more money suing one person than what all copies of that comic sold earned in profit. Not very cost effective for a business to do that to one person, let alone thousands or millions.
The RIAA used to sue people in the early 2000s during the era of Napster and Kazaa when internet piracy was just starting to bloom but they don't do that anymore though. Not because people don't pirate music anymore, but because most of the lawsuit got tossed and it wasn't worth the money and ultimately did nothing to curb piracy. Course that's just America. Canada, the UK, Australia, and other countries have their own laws and in general less legal protections when it comes to the internet.
^__^v

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:03 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
If all KissAnime ever streamed was a 38 year old series stuck in licensing hell I’d feel a bit more sympathy, but that’s not why KA was taken down now was it?

Just laying out a more serious case among titles that will never legally see the light of day. As for KA I don't know the whole details about it, but I will leave that information to the experts.

Last edited by ^__^v on Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:
Heishi wrote:
As a Kannazuki no Miko fan, I’m saddened by a lack of a good legal site to watch the series subbed. The only way to to watch it is through the English dub, but I want to watch the Japanese version. CR doesn’t have KNM, Funimation doesn’t have KNM, not even Netflix!
I could use Kiss, but they have that stupid ad locking nonsense for some reason.

Even worse, this makes me worried about the future of a English translation of the recently released spin off manga.

Sad

I have the Geneon DVDs for Kannazuki no Miko.
There's always a chance it could be re-licensed someday by Sentai or Discotek.
Keep your fingers crossed.

Sentai has had the license since 2009 and while the DVDs are OOP due to them dropping the format, the show is still up on HiDive, English dub only.

https://www.hidive.com/tv/destiny-of-the-shrine-maiden
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
And now the only site that had a decent amount of unknown/obscure anime and especially OVAs and special is gone. Every other site I know is trash (not that the kiss sites were that good anymore) if you want to watch non mainstream or ongoing stuff.
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:

If all KissAnime ever streamed was a 38 year old series stuck in licensing hell I’d feel a bit more sympathy, but that’s not why KA was taken down now was it?

I know that the site had some newer series, random OVAs, and movies that should be available for legal streaming on their owned platforms, but just are not for some reason or their localization companies just don't have a streaming service at all. I'm looking at you, Anime Works. So, viewers are left with few options.

As for KA, I heard a while back that they were making millions in profit off of ad revenue. Just a simple Google search brings up that the site is worth $574 million. I don't condemn everything they do because they have a lot of obscure or out of print/stream titles. However, they are not only supplying these anime, but are also using ads that are malicious and hosting shows that are legally streaming on other platforms, in in some cases, ripped directly from those sites.

So, my feelings are mixed. Who knows, maybe if they were given the opportunity, maybe they could've been like Crunchyroll and become a legal and reputable streaming service?
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Lightsbane wrote:
As such, I don't blame anyone who resorts to piracy, although I do question the stubbornness of some people not to support the industry, in any capacity, when things are as cheap and as readily available as they are now.
Even if a service doesn't have literally everything you want to watch, I'm sure you can still justify that tiny impact on your monthly budget, for the many things it does offer.

I find discussions of piracy to be pointless. No one is going to change anyone's mind on the subject, no matter which side they're on. All it does is cause arguments and discourse. People are going to do what they want to do in the end. Personally, I always found it interesting how piracy was such a big deal in the anime/manga community, but in the video game community buying a third party emulation device like a Raspberry Pi and slapping thousands of pirated ROM and ISOs on it is seen as normal, sometimes from the very same people.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
By the way, can someone give me context as to why these sites in particular are seen as worse than similar sites?
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
RIP to all of the quirky comments I left over the years...
I only used KA for shows that have never been licensed or shows that HAVEN'T been for literal years.

If only KA had been more careful... this is reminding me of Nintendo and their RIDICULOUS obsession with destroying rom hosting sites when most roms are not available in any other format and probably won't be ever again.
It feels like the permanent destruction of the materials that they were hosting. Sad
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
But--and this is not necessarily a defense of piracy--I wonder what the role of Kissanime and sites like it (thinking early Crunchyroll) were in fostering the growth of anime fandom outside Japan?

Less than you might think - those pirate sites grew on a background of VHS traders, and folks who caught anime via Toonami. And even before Toonami, there was anime available via any number of video rental places. There were also wide releases (theatricality and on VHS) of the Ghibli movies.

Heck, I saw my first anime anything (Star Blazers & Battle Beyond the Planets) on terrestrial broadcast TV back in the late 70's. (And those weren't the only ones... Speed Racer, in English, goes back to the 60's.)

And that's not even mentioning Ultraman, the Power Rangers, Pokemon...

I'm not saying sites like Kissanime and the OG Crunchyroll didn't contribute anything.
Only that there's a broader and deeper world that modern pirates seem to be blissfully unaware of. Kissanime and the OG Crunchyroll may have pioneered streaming (once the technology was available), but they stood on the shoulders of those that had gone before.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:26 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
You are referring to a "General Audience", not necessarily the majority. For people outside of the anime community, they look like the majority. For people inside the anime community, they are the periphery. The focus on the latest season to season shows is an entry point for anime fans, not how sustained anime consumption works. It is always important to watch new shows, but it is not the be all end all, and fans know that.

The past is important, but in terms of discussion and revenue, old shows don't take a fraction of what newer shows do. And no wonder. Watching lots of old shows is something that you do mostly when getting into the hobby, after that it becomes more of a trickle as most likely you have already watched all the old shows that interest you.

And that's normal, talking about what's new and buying what's new is the norm, no matter the context.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:31 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Speaking for myself, I tend to watch a lot of anime on my phone nowadays, so torrents arent a great option.

If you have an Android phone they're still a viable option. If not...welp, see what I said about Apple earlier.

I've done it on my Samsung tablet. Just transfer over any downloaded anime from your computer to your phone/tablet and there's apps like VLC that will let you watch your pirated anime on your device. It's not as a bad of an option as you might think it is. VLC even supports multiple audio tracks and subtitles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9