• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sued in Class-Action Lawsuit for Allegations of Violating Americans with Disabiliti

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTJ87

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:00 am Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Not to sound mean, but if blind, how can you watch cartoons? Expect them to sound out the action or something?

Audio description is often the primary way for blind folks to consume content, but in cases of content with out such we will often use clues from dialogue and sound effects, music etc.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:15 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
This short article fails to mention if the plaintiff made attempt to bring this situation to the attention of Funimation's web manager through email or phone call, or if the plaintiff just immediate jumped on the lawsuit bandwagon without a second thought. Lawsuits are expensive, even if you win, and should never be the first course of action. ANN news can be a bit skimpy at times.

A lawsuit is a proper way to pursue an ADA complaint. There's no requirement to ask nicely before suing. It's also worth noting that ADA suits brought by an individual can't seek a monetary payout, only legal fees.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:35 am Reply with quote
Yes, Disability Rights Activists file multiple lawsuits on purpose. No, they're not doing it for profit. The United States Department of Justice has not clarified in what ways businesses need to keep their websites accessible, and they don't enforce ADA rules properly, so it's up to individual activists to motivate companies to be compliant with basic accessibility standards.

Quote:
In 2019, according to an analysis by international legal firm Seyfarth Shaw, web accessibility federal lawsuits hit record numbers, with 11,053 suits filed in federal court, an 8.8% increase from 2018.3 California led the way with 4794 web accessibility lawsuits, which may be in response to a ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit which reversed a federal judge’s 2017 dismissal of a case against Domino’s Pizza. A man who is blind complained that he was unable to use Domino’s website or mobile app because neither was accessible. This reversal might have triggered more plaintiffs to launch web accessibility lawsuits in California.

It’s important to understand that web accessibility is anything but frivolous. Disabilities commonly affect the way people go online. Instead of typing on a keyboard, some individuals may use toggle switches or voice input. Instead of looking at images, they may only be able to read descriptive text on the page, using screen-reading software. Or they may need to magnify a web page before they can read it. Websites must use accessible design for these Internet use methods to work.

If you don’t have the disability-related experience, just think about how lost you’d be if you couldn’t quickly look up the arrival time of the next commuter train on your smartphone or consult the weather forecast as you’re headed out the door. Without web accessibility, millions of people with disabilities miss out on these simple conveniences.

As we noted in a previous post on ADA reform, the majority of ADA lawsuits are legitimate. The people with disabilities who filed these lawsuits experienced real digital barriers.

It’s important to note when plaintiffs file federal lawsuits under the ADA, they cannot sue for monetary damages. A plaintiff can only seek reimbursement of their legal fees as well as remediation of the inaccessibility in question. They aren’t launching litigation because they’re looking for some quick cash. The reason they sue is to compel a business that has violated federal law to change its discriminatory practices.

Source: https://www.essentialaccessibility.com/blog/web-accessibility-lawsuits
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:43 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Funimation's site has never been great its common knowledge among anime fans for over a decade now. I understand this person's problem but to sue Funimation for it is extreme and a waste of time.

Well if Funimation's site being garbage has been common knowledge for over a decade now and nothing has been done, then it seems like escalation to force change would be welcome, no? What exactly about this is a "waste of time"?
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote
Being legally blind myself and also using the same screen reader, I can confirm it's true. But there are ways of getting around figuring out what a product is. But it's no excuse for exclusionist design, regardless if it was intended or not.
I'm not sure where I stand here. I support the cause, but the community/s been trying these for years and the mainstream just doesn't care about our problems.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:18 am Reply with quote
I'm not an American, but I've had a quick glance over the ADA requirements to see if I understand things correctly. It seems to me that Funimation definitely falls into the class that are required to follow the regulations, and that a website based shop definitely falls under the category of thing that would need to be compliant. So if anyone wanting to use their website shop service (i.e. buy things through the website), but, because of their disability, is not afforded the same opportunities to use the service as another person would be, Funimation are breaking the law. Let's say a normally sighted person has the opportunity to see what products are available and buy them, but a legally blind person has no opportunity to tell what products are available, then that would be illegal. Any provisions they put in place must be exactly as effective for disabled people as for others at using the service. Correct?

Would this also mean they need to provide an (exactly as effective) alternative for people who might be deaf and blind? Say, a braille based copy of all the products they have available for sale?
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Would this also mean they need to provide an (exactly as effective) alternative for people who might be deaf and blind? Say, a braille based copy of all the products they have available for sale?

Screen readers can output to a braille display.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote
I feel like we all focused on the wrong things with this story
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
This short article fails to mention if the plaintiff made attempt to bring this situation to the attention of Funimation's web manager through email or phone call, or if the plaintiff just immediate jumped on the lawsuit bandwagon without a second thought. Lawsuits are expensive, even if you win, and should never be the first course of action. ANN news can be a bit skimpy at times.

If you actually read the full article you'd see right at the bottom where it says Funimation declined to comment further to ANN.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
TheTJ87 wrote:
I'm actually a totally blind anime fan. I've reached out to Funi about access issues with the Funimation Now app in past and gotten no response, so I'm certain this isn't the first they've heard about access issues. Unfortunately the ADA does not allow for any other enforcement methods aside from the judicial route. As has been said before these sort of cases usually settle out of court with a small sum to the party in question and a commitment to improve access with in a set time period. If companies would actually take this sort of thing seriously I doubt we'd need to resort to legal advocacy but out of sight out of mind seems to be the general aditude toward disabled persons. Someone braught up audio description and I'd certainly love to see that for sure.

Just wanted to let you know that my heart goes out to you. I had a friend back in college who was a tremendous Sailor Moon fan and also totally blind who just wanted to know what happened in the final season of StarS. Even around 2005 it was super hard trying to navigate websites relying on Flash or Java or other elements that the text-to-speech completely scrambled by being unable to parse between content and code. It also couldn't handle Japanese characters usually, which didn't help things. I bet it's only gotten more irritating to navigate websites since then.

We weren't ever able to find her a website she could browse easily to load script synopses, so I ended up transcribing a chunk of episodes myself so she could finally know what happened with Queen Nehellenia. I really hope that descriptive audio becomes a thing for fans. Or at the very least, a text document made available as an accompaniment describing on screen action.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:41 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Spike Terra wrote:

So my question is that if Funimation just meets the demands of the plantiffs, does the lawsuit get dropped or do they still have to go to court?

Previously in the thread:
TheTJ87 wrote:
these sort of cases usually settle out of court with a small sum to the party in question and a commitment to improve access with in a set time period.

Whoops my bad, I guess missed that one.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I’m sighted so this isn’t something that I rely on, but if this is true, that’s troubling and I hope they address it. Something this also got me thinking about, I know Netflix has audio descriptions but I don’t think audio descriptions are common in anime generally. Is this something that can be addressed?

A disabilities rights group actually had to sue Netflix for Netflix to add audio descriptions on their service. So, lawsuits do work, folks! And they're often (unfortunately) completely necessary in order to get companies to take any action.

Anyway, good on her. Hopefully this'll open the door for Funi (and other anime companies) to be more accessible in the future.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I think the fact that the person who brought this suit can't get a monetary payout is an important point and would probably be a good note to add to the article. Litigation for money is so common that people just immediately jump to that as the reason any time a lawsuit comes up in the news.
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I think the fact that the person who brought this suit can't get a monetary payout is an important point and would probably be a good note to add to the article. Litigation for money is so common that people just immediately jump to that as the reason any time a lawsuit comes up in the news.

I’m curious, why is monetary compensation not a possibility in this case?
deidara517

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 am Reply with quote
I feel for a fellow disabled person. I know what its like to be discriminated against. But she's gone after a ton of various people since august of last year (over 68! the search count says 122 but unless their are more mixed in further in the list her lawsuits end at number 68 before switching to search results that include Los Angeles.). Somethings off and it looks like she's doing this to multiple places including ones she has no business being near or at (one was a snowboarding website if your legally blind why are you snowboarding? im literally not even sure that physically possible to be done safely with current technology) [url]https://www.accessibility.com/search?groupId=19966467967&term=jenisa+angeles&type=SITE_PAGE&type=LANDING_PAGE&type=BLOG_POST&type=LISTING_PAGE/url]

some of these that are closed are were all done outside of court or terminated with or without prejudice. and it seems that almost all the times she files the plaintiff seeks Compensatory damages, payment of her attorney fees all court related fees she has incured. https://www.accessibility.com/digital-lawsuits/jenisa-shildan-2020-10-01

This type of abuse of the system and using your disability for personal profit actually hurts the people with disabilities. Because your making a mockery out of peoples struggle if you truly wanted to fix things and make the internet more accessible for people like us then you would become an activist at this point not go after each individual company while asking for a personal payday in such rapid succession like this. It feels like the equivalent of throwing everything at the wall and hoping something sticks. Likely outcome is each will be settled out of court that she drops the lawsuits if they pay her attorney fees only so she breaks even and the best case for her is she wins and gets a massive payday.

regardless of your personal opinion on funimation as a company or as a website design There is so much that is suspicious about the plaintiff that screams she's doing this solely for the money between the massive amount of filings, the claims and requests for damages and compensation in each one, the places she's suing are so wide and vastly different that i doubt even half of them are places or products that she even wants/needs/can legally use (i saw motorized one wheel skateboards, a childs learning website , snowboarding, obviously the one anime website, motorcycle and dirtbike manufacturers etc.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6