• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media, Manga Plus Service Will Not Publish Ayakashi Triangle Manga's 74th Chapter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:07 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Viz is doing something shitty? what a shock haven't touched any of their product myself since they cancelled Patlabor and Guyver decades back.

well that and censor dragon 'after their first print run" censoring the urusei yatsura manga as well. I'm in my mid 30's and I never thought we would still be fighting to have uncut manga/anime in the west again but here we are.. all we can do is vote with our wallets and not support companies that keep doing this.

As for digital store-fronts they are 2/3 of the problem as well, I truly wish we could go back physical books instead. I understand that's not the norm now, but do limited print runs "with all content intact" instead of this BS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:33 am Reply with quote
Just checked the chapter and there is barely anything in it and even if there was something, that would not justify any censorship.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:37 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

well that and censor dragon 'after their first print run" censoring the urusei yatsura manga as well. I'm in my mid 30's and I never thought we would still be fighting to have uncut manga/anime in the west again but here we are.. all we can do is vote with our wallets and not support companies that keep doing this.

As for digital store-fronts they are 2/3 of the problem as well, I truly wish we could go back physical books instead. I understand that's not the norm now, but do limited print runs "with all content intact" instead of this BS.
This is like one title out of hundreds of others that are released every year perfectly fine. I'm sure it sucks for the fans but it's not helpful to be overdramatic about the modern anime and manga landscape. Sure boycott this particular series until the issues are fixed but I don't think it's fair to punish the other dozens of titles Viz releases without issue for this, especially as it's not entirely clear yet that this is Viz's fault and not Shueshia's.
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:40 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Clearly Shueisha doesn’t want this published since it’s getting pulled in other countries. Makes you wonder why they let it go to print in Japan if they have such an issue with the material.

I would expect that someone fairly senior in Tokyo is having what I understand the British army calls a "meeting without coffee".
Sparks_Snow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:00 am Reply with quote
Not to be rude or anything, but I can only make a guess on why this is happening.

Now this is only a guess on my part:

The mangaka of Please Tell Me! Galko-chan just got caught with CP correct? And if, it is true, on the fact there is groping on a loli in that chapter. It would make sense, I think, for it to get pulled. And digital is easier to pull than printed. So...that is just my guess. It will also explain why MP is doing it too.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:21 am Reply with quote
Sparks_Snow wrote:
Not to be rude or anything, but I can only make a guess on why this is happening.

Now this is only a guess on my part:

The mangaka of Please Tell Me! Galko-chan just got caught with CP correct? And if, it is true, on the fact there is groping on a loli in that chapter. It would make sense, I think, for it to get pulled. And digital is easier to pull than printed. So...that is just my guess. It will also explain why MP is doing it too.

If that was the case they wouldn't publish the Japanese version too.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:53 am Reply with quote
Just read the chapter. Except perhaps one page, nothing to write home about.

And even then, nothing shown or explicit, at most doll physics(no nipples etc)...
Zimmer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:11 am Reply with quote
Disgusting. The upside to official translations is meant to be that all of it will get translated. Of course the anti-piracy brigade come out with the "It's still not ok!" when it's literally the only choice.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:35 am Reply with quote
And most (if not all) manga publishing companies in the west wonder why manga readers prefer to read the fan translated manga online instead.

THIS was the exact reason manga readers will NEVER TOLERATE any form of censorship.

I would be fine with the official releases as long as there's no censorship, liberal translations, political propaganda, and 'what's cool in the real life current events' in any of the manga. Just don't censor 'em and stick to the original script as they were in Japanese.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:35 am Reply with quote
I’m sorry, but if they’re charging for a service, then there is an expectation of quality.
I remember a few years back when Tapas was releasing series censored, but not saying they were censored. That’s annoying. You’re paying for something without being given the choice of whether you want to pay it or skip it. It wasn’t until later when they added their mature section and some of those series previously released censored were also released uncut, but for the people that had already paid for the censored chapters, they had to double dip. Sounds unfair.
As for the US being thought of as prudish, heck yes. I follow a Korean artist/author and her series has been released digitally here in the US, but it’s also being released in Europe, uncensored. Someone asked her if it had a chance to be released physically in English and she pretty much said no because the US was too prudish.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:07 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
I remember a few years back when Tapas was releasing series censored, but not saying they were censored.

I give Viz credit they announced the omission of the chapter on their app. That gives readers enough awareness to go look for the fan-translated version ahead of time, before picking the next chapter and wondering what the heck's missing?...

Not that it makes it any more right. If they're committed to releasing a series, then Viz should learn to walk the walk and not just talk the talk. Readers shouldn't have to do their job for them...

Just wondering, what was the series Tapas was releasing?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:13 am Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
If that was the case, then the pirate sites wouldn't be using the official translation for Ayakashi Triangle. The pirate sites are still around because they make money, by taking translations from fans, and the official releases

The how and why pirate sites do their thing was not what I was talking about.
I was talking about what fans do.
merr wrote:
Clearly Shueisha doesn’t want this published since it’s getting pulled in other countries. Makes you wonder why they let it go to print in Japan if they have such an issue with the material.

Not sure if it is true for this franchise, but usually it is not a problem in Japan that the publisher is worried about, but rather western reaction.
Gem-Bug wrote:
All the "piracy is never going away" folks just climbing out of the woodwork looking for literally any reason to justify theft. Rolling Eyes

I am sure there are plenty that do that, but censorship and editing for content is a problem, and sadly piracy is the solution for that problem. I buy tons of manga and light novels on my Kindle, and I would rather read them on my Kindle, rather than my PC. So, it becomes a problem when Amazon starts delisting some volumes of my favorite series.
If western companies continue to censor and edit for content Japanese manga (and recently Japanese light novels), there will continue to be a run to the pirates. Yes, there is some over reaction, because those of us who rely on legal means, really are at the mercy of the western companies. We really can’t jump ship from our legal providers. Yeah, we can read the pirates version, but it is not the same as having it on your reader in sequential order with the other novels or chapters.
So, I have no problem with those that rage and scream at the unfairness of it all. Let them get it out of their system. Whether it is Amazon or Viz, censorship and editing for content is wrong, and degrades the relationship between publisher and customer. Especially for customers in long running series and franchises. And if all that raging and screaming makes the publisher think some more, then perhaps there is some worth to it. Because the last thing we want, is for the publishers to think that censorship and editing for content is pain free and has no risk.
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:22 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
If that was the case, then the pirate sites wouldn't be using the official translation for Ayakashi Triangle. The pirate sites are still around because they make money, by taking translations from fans, and the official releases

The how and why pirate sites do their thing was not what I was talking about.
I was talking about what fans do.
merr wrote:

Not sure if it is true for this franchise, but usually it is not a problem in Japan that the publisher is worried about, but rather western reaction.
Gem-Bug wrote:
All the "piracy is never going away" folks just climbing out of the woodwork looking for literally any reason to justify theft. Rolling Eyes

I am sure there are plenty that do that, but censorship and editing for content is a problem, and sadly piracy is the solution for that problem. I buy tons of manga and light novels on my Kindle, and I would rather read them on my Kindle, rather than my PC. So, it becomes a problem when Amazon starts delisting some volumes of my favorite series.
If western companies continue to censor and edit for content Japanese manga (and recently Japanese light novels), there will continue to be a run to the pirates. Yes, there is some over reaction, because those of us who rely on legal means, really are at the mercy of the western companies. We really can’t jump ship from our legal providers. Yeah, we can read the pirates version, but it is not the same as having it on your reader in sequential order with the other novels or chapters.
So, I have no problem with those that rage and scream at the unfairness of it all. Let them get it out of their system. Whether it is Amazon or Viz, censorship and editing for content is wrong, and degrades the relationship between publisher and customer. Especially for customers in long running series and franchises. And if all that raging and screaming makes the publisher think some more, then perhaps there is some worth to it. Because the last thing we want, is for the publishers to think that censorship and editing for content is pain free and has no risk.
I think you're point about customers raging and screaming is far more important than people realize. Consumers DO have power. It's It's customers raging and screaming that caused Seven Seas to go back and undo the censorship they put into Mushoku Tensei and Classroom of the Elite. I'm old enough to remember the bad old days of 1990s and early 2000s anime and manga where censorship and editing for content was rampant. I don't want to return to that.
Wadachi 1992

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:32 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry to say just learn japanese and buy manga in japanese its just easier and no censorship and money is going tords your favorite manga ka/series
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:48 am Reply with quote
Just two things more:
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs, the "previous" ecchi series wasn't released at all at Manga Plus (and in the US it was released by Seven Seas), unlike We Never Learn even if its fanservice-risque content wasn't that much.

Also, I know that ANN is a American (US) web whose news are 90% US-centred, but it is a bit insulting that some American publisher does not release Ayakashi Triangle = "[Shueisha] is banning it from the West".Rolling Eyes There are more countries, languages & publishing houses in the world, thank you. Just learn Spanish or French (to be released). I did buy Italian editions of my favourite mangaka because he wasn't published in Spain and I am perfectly fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7