• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Case Study of Vanitas Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Is this part from the manga? I think I read somewhere that this is an anime original ending, but can someone who's read the manga tell me?

The anime has been very faithful to the manga.
This latest episode,#22, adapted Chapter 49 panel for panel and there's still six more chapters to go before the anime outpaces the manga.
NobaraBG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:39 pm Reply with quote
This is all speculation regarding the last episode but I'll spoiler tag it anyway:

spoiler[So when Vanitas (the boy not the vampire) was telling the story of his parents, he mentioned that his dad fell in love with his mother who was part of a traveling circus. And Charlatan looks like a spooky traveling circus. Related somehow I wonder?]
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:58 pm Reply with quote
^^^^^
Not impossible but I would personally prefer that Vanitas' parents were no one important to the plot, or even vaguely connected. I think it's more interesting if he's just a really unlucky orphan.
NobaraBG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:
^^^^^
Not impossible but I would personally prefer that Vanitas' parents were no one important to the plot, or even vaguely connected. I think it's more interesting if he's just a really unlucky orphan.

I'd be okay with that but I'm also kind of hoping for some big reveal that everyone's connected by their past in some big way.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I feel that their connections are more narrative than plot. Noe, Vanitas, and Jeanne are all people who were orphaned partly due to the conflict b/w humans and vampires and then groomed/manipulated from a young age by a major player in said conflict: Noe by the Teacher, Vanitas by the Blue moon Vampire, Jeanne by Lord Ruthven.
I suspect Jeane will be the one with the most complicated past
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:23 pm Reply with quote
NobaraBG wrote:
.. I'm also kind of hoping for some big reveal that everyone's connected by their past in some big way.
While I can see that as being interesting intellectually, I think it makes for a very unrealistic story as such big coincidences almost never occur IRL and comes off as very contrived as a result. I think the writing is doing an excellent job as is with the Great War being the commonality in many lives and doesn't need maximum character connectivity on top of that...

Also thought it was a nice twist to have the original Vanitas being spoiler[a woman and being a surrogate mom (dad to Mikhail)]. This episode explains a lot!
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:53 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
NobaraBG wrote:
.. I'm also kind of hoping for some big reveal that everyone's connected by their past in some big way.
While I can see that as being interesting intellectually, I think it makes for a very unrealistic story as such big coincidences almost never occur IRL and comes off as very contrived as a result. I think the writing is doing an excellent job as is with the Great War being the commonality in many lives and doesn't need maximum character connectivity on top of that...

Also thought it was a nice twist to have the original Vanitas being spoiler[a woman and being a surrogate mom (dad to Mikhail)]. This episode explains a lot!

OG Vanitas isn't spoiler[a woman]
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Man, this episode sure felt chaotic. The idea of Vanitas becoming violent and injecting himself in the process sure looks like he is trying to avoid facing the present. So far whenever Vanitas became less funny, he sure showed signs of rage especially if somebody takes pity on him. Last episode, it seems the big reason was his mother dying during his birth but maybe Luna/OG Vanitas might have affected him too despite the love he received from him/her.

The animation was fun but It's a shame Tensai Okamura didn't make storyboards in regards to Vanitas vs Noe considering his notable skills at fights.

It kinda seems like this cour focused more on understanding Vanitas in contrast to the first cour that primarily involved Noe. It's not only Noe the one who is trying to understand him, but we also saw him from a different point of view from Jeanne and Luna. I hope we learn next episode what caused Luna/OG Vanitas' death. Still, I think the anime really caught up with the manga due to the long hiatus the author took so there might not be a proper resolution.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:12 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Still, I think the anime really caught up with the manga due to the long hiatus the author took so there might not be a proper resolution.

The anime is going to end with the conclusion of this arc-chapter 55.
As past chapter 55 there is a distinct lack of published of content, manga and anime fans are in for a long wait.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:20 am Reply with quote
I think I'm starting to get it. I was always wondering why the series baited us so hard with a possible Noe x Vanitas relationship and then it turned and confirmed Vanitas x Jeanne instead. (I must be the only one who's not a fan of this relationship - not out of any dislike towards Jeanne, she's a very likeable character, but her relationship with Vanitas is way too fanfic-y and fanservice-y for my taste, not to mention, team Noe is much more complex and nuanced. But oh well I have accepted that I will have to live with that as long as I follow the series.) It's because Vanitas has deeper feelings for Noe than romance.

One indicator is how adamant he is about not allowing Noe to suck his blood. There is this "I must not show my memories to anyone" part, where he's basically denying vulnerability, and Noe sees memories through the blood-sucking, but because blood-sucking has such a sexual aspect to this series, it's basically like saying 'this will never be the nature of our relationship and I will not allow you to make it that way'. And yet, he gets so annoyed and jealous every time Domi gets near Noe, to the point of telling him to his face: "Get rid of her already!" Having learned about his backstory, I think I'm finally understanding why. He's probably projecting on Noe feelings about his father and his own trauma. His father gave up a promising career and a good life because, as Vanitas has internalized, Vanitas' mother 'bewitched' him and even got pregnant with him, only to die at childbirth and leave his father alone with a child to take care of in a lowly circus they never belonged in the first place. I'd guess he's seen pictures of his mother and she had black hair too, so the situation of Noe and Domi rubs him the wrong way at every turn. And I guess Jeanne's role in all of this will be to make him realize that romance isn't the curse Vanitas thinks it is.

We'll probably not get another season as we've caught up to the manga, and next episode will be a good stopping point anyways. I'm just glad I finally understood some stuff about the realtionship dynamics of this series. (You will always be my ship Noe and Vanitas. Time to be grateful to fanarts and doujinshis once again.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:52 am Reply with quote
As usual, I've clearly missed something important. How did Mikhail know all the gritty details of Louis' death and its aftermath? He goaded Noé as if he'd been there to witness it, rather than merely learning of it second-hand from Domi.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:43 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
(I must be the only one who's not a fan of this relationship - not out of any dislike towards Jeanne, she's a very likeable character, but her relationship with Vanitas is way too fanfic-y and fanservice-y for my taste, not to mention, team Noe is much more complex and nuanced. But oh well I have accepted that I will have to live with that as long as I follow the series.)

I'm actually with you 100% on this - I really dislike the Vanitas/Jeanne relationship, for the reasons you said. I'm also not fully sold that she really likes him for himself; it feels more like imprinting to me.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:11 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Kirki wrote:
(I must be the only one who's not a fan of this relationship - not out of any dislike towards Jeanne, she's a very likeable character, but her relationship with Vanitas is way too fanfic-y and fanservice-y for my taste, not to mention, team Noe is much more complex and nuanced. But oh well I have accepted that I will have to live with that as long as I follow the series.)

I'm actually with you 100% on this - I really dislike the Vanitas/Jeanne relationship, for the reasons you said. I'm also not fully sold that she really likes him for himself; it feels more like imprinting to me.
And third-ed. Most shounen "romance" arcs read this way to me anyway. Well, when there actually is an arc and not just the inherent assumption that boy + girl = couple. Here I assumed I was just being prejudiced as usual.

I am glad that Jeanne was the one to save Domi, though. (Seriously, can I ship them instead?) The entire Noe/Domi thing is just weird, like whatever they had as kids that was "supposed" to blossom into something more never did, and is now just stuck in this unaging loop. I think we're supposed to view the whole thing from Domi's perspective and be rooting for her, but I always get twitchy when borderline-aro/ace guys are assumed to be romantic endgame for whatever significant female they happen to have in their life. I've been that guy and it is not fun.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:16 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
Still, I think the anime really caught up with the manga due to the long hiatus the author took so there might not be a proper resolution.

The anime is going to end with the conclusion of this arc-chapter 55.
As past chapter 55 there is a distinct lack of published of content, manga and anime fans are in for a long wait.

Dang it. At least Bones had more content to make with Bungo Stray Dogs due to the light novels and movies. If they aren't concluding the story, it sure might be annoying but I kinda wonder if there will be an original ending because everybody says Tomoyuki Itamura is an amazing director. Wonder how the finale will deliver
Hal14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:46 am Reply with quote
A new chapter just came out that has a good stopping point. There are now only about 4 chapters left to adapt, which is the average rate of most episodes this season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7