• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Part 2 [2022-01-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the issue with Souma explaining the problem. Like they said in the show, it's a problem you wouldn't consider until it actually happens. Souma just has the experience of knowing that it was a possibility because it had happened in his world. In this world this is the first time the problem ever occurred.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Roroa is smart, cunning, daring, and confident as all get out. She knows what she wants, she cares about her people, and she's willing to do anything to achieve that. She's a great match for Souma, at least intellectually, and her boldness even seems to inspire the rest of Souma's Harem...though poor Liscia has to admit she and Souma have been too busy to have sex yet to a bunch of people.

Did Liscia just low-key confess when she admitted she has feelings for him? I mean, we didn't get any major "confession" scenes with Aisha or Juna either, but I think that's the first time Liscia outright verbalized her feelings for Souma in front of anyone. I'm surprised Souma didn't even react to it. Like, how much off-screen relationship development has this couple had!?

Well, at least Souma and Maria get along well. I keep forgetting that there's a looming demon lord threat in the background since the protagonists deal with so much other stuff.

Nothing quite like falling asleep with one of your wives after a night of discussing politics and the economy, only to then be caught by the rest of the Harem. At least Liscia is tired of Souma pussyfooting around with the Harem and not doing anything with them, let alone her, and it seems like now that Souma is more confident and situated as king he's finally going to do something about that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
it completely trivializes the complexities of actual governance. Never mind doing the right thing, it's about delegating tasks, finding capable advisors, controlling popular sentiment, and adapting to the unexpected consequences of not only your actions but those around you.

I think he's done everything on that list, hasn't he? Sure every item could've been fleshed out more, but I think that's asking too much of any 12- or even 24-episode series. That they've even acknowledged the need for him to do all those things, let alone shown him doing them, is actually kind of impressive.

I wonder if little whatshername who can talk to Demons will ever come back into this? It's like she's been sent off to the Demon-Whisperer Protection Program or something, even though they kinda made a big deal out of not hiding her away. Confused
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
it completely trivializes the complexities of actual governance. Never mind doing the right thing, it's about delegating tasks, finding capable advisors, controlling popular sentiment, and adapting to the unexpected consequences of not only your actions but those around you.

I think he's done everything on that list, hasn't he? Sure every item could've been fleshed out more, but I think that's asking too much of any 12- or even 24-episode series. That they've even acknowledged the need for him to do all those things, let alone shown him doing them, is actually kind of impressive.

I wonder if little whatshername who can talk to Demons will ever come back into this? It's like she's been sent off to the Demon-Whisperer Protection Program or something, even though they kinda made a big deal out of not hiding her away. Confused

Yeah that comment confused me because most of season one was spent on him doing all those things. It's just that we haven't really checked in on any of those characters recently.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
I don't understand the issue with Souma explaining the problem. Like they said in the show, it's a problem you wouldn't consider until it actually happens. Souma just has the experience of knowing that it was a possibility because it had happened in his world. In this world this is the first time the problem ever occurred.

I can only speak to my personal objections, but its 3 things in concert. 1st, again, Souma is always right. When he says there is no way to see consider the issue til it happens, it is with plot mandated authority. Because Souma said it, it is a true statement. Viewers apparently buy it too: no one is arguing that he said that to spare her dignity- Souma said it couldn't be predicted, therefore it is true. This is to someone like Maria whom we've been told is an extremely capable and well-liked empress of a large empire with years of experience.

Further, I don't buy it. Did no one really consider that giving vast populations the right to self determine their nation would affect national politics? Even with a Church that is opportunistic at best, and likely subtly antagonistic to the Empress already stirring the pot? You don't need to foresee this exact circumstance- but not seeing that "self determining populations" would almost inevitably conflict with "borders can't change by force" suggests someone was half asleep while drafting. The example she almost should have expected, based on what we hear from Roroa, is the Papal State fomenting unrest in neighbor regions, inspiring rebellion, and then claiming the regions. Those are actors, concepts, and patterns that Maria has been navigating already.

Further, Julius subverts the Declaration, and the Empire gives the thumbs up to extremely hefty reparations to indicate that they aren't pleased with an abuse of the nature. Souma intentionally utilizes an internal conflict, in direct conflict to his previously stated plans and Maria's response is "good game, well played". Villains getting consequences while heroes are excused may be morally likeable, but in a political story it seems empty.

So I'm left with Souma, being always right, correcting a more experienced Empress on a mistake that doesn't really track with her experience to seemingly no consequence. It feels like the narrative going out of its way on his behalf. Your mileage may vary, of course. If it was satisfying for you, great. I found it otherwise.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I could see the declaration coming in to play hastily to bring in as many supporters as possible in light of the demon invasion. The first clause is to prevent in-fighting and the second is so that nations can remain autonomous. I'm sure it sounds good to a few heads of state that weren't likely elected or ever think their people would want something else.

b-dragon wrote:

Further, Julius subverts the Declaration, and the Empire gives the thumbs up to extremely hefty reparations to indicate that they aren't pleased with an abuse of the nature. Souma intentionally utilizes an internal conflict, in direct conflict to his previously stated plans and Maria's response is "good game, well played". Villains getting consequences while heroes are excused may be morally likeable, but in a political story it seems empty.

The circumstances are different though. In the first, Julius lost. Had he won the Empire probably wouldn't have done anything. In the second, basically the entire population wanted to join with Souma (or the nobles leading them at least), so what could the Empire do? I can't imagine it'd be worth the resources to forcibly occupy and put down a revolution in an entire country with the demon threat.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

The circumstances are different though. In the first, Julius lost. Had he won the Empire probably wouldn't have done anything. In the second, basically the entire population wanted to join with Souma (or the nobles leading them at least), so what could the Empire do? I can't imagine it'd be worth the resources to forcibly occupy and put down a revolution in an entire country with the demon threat.

Worth it? Absolutely not. Necessary though. Elfrieden just defied the Declaration as a whole, and his agreement with the Empire specifically. That Mankind Declaration in particular only holds value when nations think it will be enforced. If other leaders don't believe it has actual teeth, then its just a particularly fancy piece of paper. Which makes it odd that even if military force isn't used, there isn't even a denouncement of Souma's decisions- either in public or in private. No military, economic or political pressure, no calling off the proposed alliance in light of untrustworthiness. Just "I'll tell the rest of the Empire that you can have your new land". No negative consequence, either in public or behind the scenes, when there definitely needs to be a public reckoning regardless of how Maria herself feels.
Rednal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:00 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:

Worth it? Absolutely not. Necessary though. Elfrieden just defied the Declaration as a whole, and his agreement with the Empire specifically. That Mankind Declaration in particular only holds value when nations think it will be enforced. If other leaders don't believe it has actual teeth, then its just a particularly fancy piece of paper. Which makes it odd that even if military force isn't used, there isn't even a denouncement of Souma's decisions- either in public or in private. No military, economic or political pressure, no calling off the proposed alliance in light of untrustworthiness. Just "I'll tell the rest of the Empire that you can have your new land". No negative consequence, either in public or behind the scenes, when there definitely needs to be a public reckoning regardless of how Maria herself feels.

Without going too far into details so as to avoid spoilers... this is specifically and directly addressed within the story. It is not simply ignored.
tomdean

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:32 am Reply with quote
everytime i think we have a show with a human MC who is not just all fluff, we still end up with a completely asexual prepubescent teeange boy who is incapable of having any kind of primal desires

It's not like I even want to see any ecchi scenes(it may have been nice, but ironically let's be adult about it) but if they show main characters, just got intimate, show baby coming, happy life. It would have been less cringey and nauseating. Don't they think it's normal for humans to have urges? Need of oxytocin? Need of love? hello?

I find it hard to watch any shows whose characters simply do not make any sense. These MCs ruin shows are as much as those cartoon villains.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:24 am Reply with quote
For all those who groused about Shield Hero and others for not abolishing slavery but having protags working within such a hypothetical society, I hope people are loving this episode for doing what no other has done with the subject. Both in how the reality of slavery and it's consequences are portrayed in real terms (and for quoting someone other than Machiavelli for a change) but also for presenting how slavery could be ended in a socio-economically reasonable way. Sort of reflecting Roman society at the later stages.

Ep19- I think the VA for Ms Maxwell was a great choice and the script people did a great job in creating a better representation of the character and having better dialog.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
I thought that Ginger was a woman and not a man. The person who done the review called her a man several times. Did i miss something becuase Ginger was definitely a woman
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:56 am Reply with quote
review wrote:
Having a raccoon girl slave fall in love with her master and ask him to whip her – folks, I think we have entered full Wish Fulfillment territory. And any amount of “ah, what a wonderful slave master” nonsense immediately tanks my interest.

This statement is a blatant misrepresentation of what happens in the episode. The whipping thing struck me as symbolic of what Ginger's sensibilities find abhorrent rather than being something fetishy, and San falling in love with Ginger is in no way, shape, or form connected to that. In fact, they're at opposite ends of the narrative and episode.

And is it really "wish fulfillment" if San is falling for someone who is demonstrably kind-hearted, decent, respectful, doesn't at all treat her like a slave, is actively trying to divest himself of a detestable practice, and actively tries to improve the lot of those like her? This isn't a case of a girl falling for a boy who once picked up her eraser in class.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:00 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
I thought that Ginger was a woman and not a man. The person who done the review called her a man several times. Did i miss something becuase Ginger was definitely a woman

Ginger is male, at least based on the site I read to double-check.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And is it really "wish fulfillment”

Yes. It is.

Glad we could clear that up.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

And is it really "wish fulfillment" if San is falling for someone who is demonstrably kind-hearted, decent, respectful, doesn't at all treat her like a slave, is actively trying to divest himself of a detestable practice, and actively tries to improve the lot of those like her? This isn't a case of a girl falling for a boy who once picked up her eraser in class.

Yes. Yes it is, because he could do all that for them as free people. Just because he treats his property very kindly doesn't negate the fact that he's still participating in a practice where other sentient beings are treated like property. A romance that begins under such circumstances is always going to be suspect because there will always be a power imbalance so long as one person has literal, legal control and ownership of the other. To portray that as a positive is really messed up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10