• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KamiKatsu: Working for God in a Godless World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:07 am Reply with quote
This show is in full meltdown mode and because of that this whole episode look like The Elephant's Foot. Pick any random 30 seconds in the episode and you'll find numerous examples of dropped frames, off-model shots, wonky perspectives, crappy floaty CG, and every sort of animation shortcut possible. I didn't think this show could get more embarrassing, but like life it continues to find a way.

And I agree with Nick that this latest attempt at pathos failed just as badly as the rest because this cast simply aren't characters. The protag is just a Potato-kun with eyebags and everyone else around him is either a one-note weirdo or a cackling villain whose backstory always comes at the very last minute. You can't make us fear or celebrate their relationships because there's nothing there to grasp and anything that might be there is just comedy fodder.

At this point this show just needs to end, if simply to allow the staff to move on and to encourage this director to take up a new job more suited to his skills, such as "part-time conbini cashier."
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:58 am Reply with quote
A lot of shows turn their openers into insert songs in the last episode. It's a recognizable pattern, so it needed to be done, but was done without a good sense of where it goes. I'm guessing that this is what a show created by AI would look like. There's an uncanny valley aspect to everything. Every scene is cut just wrong, the pacing of each moment is not quite right, but you can easily see what patterns it is trying to copy.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
This show is in full meltdown mode and because of that this whole episode look like The Elephant's Foot. Pick any random 30 seconds in the episode and you'll find numerous examples of dropped frames, off-model shots, wonky perspectives, crappy floaty CG, and every sort of animation shortcut possible. I didn't think this show could get more embarrassing, but like life it continues to find a way.

And I agree with Nick that this latest attempt at pathos failed just as badly as the rest because this cast simply aren't characters. The protag is just a Potato-kun with eyebags and everyone else around him is either a one-note weirdo or a cackling villain whose backstory always comes at the very last minute. You can't make us fear or celebrate their relationships because there's nothing there to grasp and anything that might be there is just comedy fodder.

At this point this show just needs to end, if simply to allow the staff to move on and to encourage this director to take up a new job more suited to his skills, such as "part-time conbini cashier."

I think Yukito is actually a pretty distinct main character, especially compared to the usual milquetoast Isekai leads, and while I wouldn't say the main cast is very complex I think their personalities stand out and the experiences they shared with Yukito were solid enough build up to that moment.

I did kind of love how off the lip-synching was across the entire episode.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
This show is being made by people, possibly an entire studio, that literally do not know how to make animation.

It's a series headed up by a company with no experience in heading productions and very little when it comes to episode co-production, and more of one who does in-betweening and paint work.

It's something that rarely works as is (see also Gibiate), and when it does, those studios usually can turn out competent enough work on average (like Asahi Production and their titles), but nothing super spectacular. It doesn't help that they're trying to pass off some elements, like the CGI as "Intentionally bad", but there's a difference between trying to make something look like crap on purpose, and just trying to excuse laziness. Considering the animation on the 2D elements look no better, and at points worse than the CG, there's definitely mismanagement at play.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:01 pm Reply with quote
While this is giving the show more "serious" thought than it deserves, one element I haven't seen mentioned previously that the show does well is the pointed commentary on modern Japanese society and to a lesser extent modern societies in general as typified in the citizens of the Capital. People are conditioned to "mind their own business", obey the rules and those in authority without question or comment, do not say or do things that make you stand out from the rest and through media are desensitized to suffering, calamity, etc. The Government will take care of everything, regulate society at every level, individual liberties are curtailed or not allowed for the "greater good". What we see in the capital is an excellent representation of what such a society would be like.

Contrast with the "isolation camps" which is a direct allusion to places like Akihabara as it once was and collections of "otaku" that collect at Komiket and other cons (AX?). The point is made abundantly clear that those are the places where life really is because personal liberties can be exercised. While the Capital intends to limit them and exercise control over them by keeping them small and separate, those are worth defending to be kept free. On this 4th of July, I think this is a good set of thoughts to mull over and consider when certain groups claim they need more authority to regulate what is acceptable for you and I to say and do. Unless electronic voting is truly rigged, we have the power to keep such from happening as long as we have the courage to think for ourselves and resist. Don't allow yourself to be a Good Capital Citizen...
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:45 pm Reply with quote
If a takeaway you get from Kamikatsu is “You need to vote conservative” then it is an even far worse show than has already been addressed multiple times in the reviews. Also maybe your takeaway for July 4th should be to go outside. Avoid fireworks tho, those should only be handled safely and I’m worried you might ignore some of those while on a misplaced diatribe.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The irony of using the logic of acceptance of lies to put your beliefs blindly into another makes seeing any allusion to American Politics really weird as an outsider. Critical thinking about leaders in all sections of life should be exercised, and an understanding that compromise between extremes is often needed.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:33 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
If a takeaway you get from Kamikatsu is “You need to vote conservative” then it is an even far worse show than has already been addressed multiple times in the reviews. Also maybe your takeaway for July 4th should be to go outside. Avoid fireworks tho, those should only be handled safely and I’m worried you might ignore some of those while on a misplaced diatribe.

I think he also got his apparent takeaway muddied up too. I don't know how you can go "The Japanese government is bad because US Democrats are bad" to "There was definitely electronic voter fraud going on, and it's all them Dems' fault" in a single statement about an anime that is very clearly produced by a bunch of rank amateurs who clearly didn't inted for this to have any deeper meanings other than "We did bad CGI on purpose" or "The hero's dad is a cult leading asshole like the manga, please appreciate us!"
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, Ep12 was a mess. I think they lost the VA for Ricky as well. If this gets an S2 I will laugh so hard...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:32 am Reply with quote
Waiting on dubs for the last 2 episodes but it's stayed a strong 10/10 all season for me. This is one of those type of properties that I'd like to see surpass the episode count of One Piece.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:16 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Yet, I have seen people who are – or were – mine it for striking, memorable, and painfully funny art. I've seen stories affirming, denying, or reinterpreting religion that not only had a statement they wanted to make, but also did so in artistically adventurous ways.

I'd be interested in hearing some of your faves!

Last edited by Shay Guy on Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Could the show even have said anything about religion? Religion in our world have no real god to show for it, they ask you to believe in it with no proof available, that's why they need all the dirty tactic/manipulation. But in the show they have a god, said god has miracle power and use them often. This fundamentally completely change everything about the topic, in some way "religion" isn't even the correct word for it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:28 pm Reply with quote
And thus ends probably one of the most horny, meme-worthy, and @#$%-posting anime I have ever had the pleasure to watch.

I will miss this S-tier voice cast, lovely ladies, manipulative and conniving protagonist, insane plot, and often intentionally bad/low budget animation and CG.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:50 pm Reply with quote
The epitome car wreck with multiple injuries anime. The fact that I stayed this long to watch that last episode will have me scratching my head, rub my temples and sigh for weeks on end. Monumental time-wasting dreck.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:44 pm Reply with quote
JustMonika wrote:
...This is one of those type of properties that I'd like to see surpass the episode count of One Piece.
Wow! Have to say I can't imagine how this story base could be stretched to that length. Then again I don't get how OP continues as it has.

meiam wrote:
Could the show even have said anything about religion?....
Well, it didn't stop them from just stating some things and insinuating others about "religion", most of which were off the mark in relation to actual world religions so it seemed a little non sequitur. I think Nick did a good job on that analysis though. In the end, the show didn't seem to have actual interest in portraying a coherent message about religion.

To your point, I can only assume the author thought that witnessing actual supernatural events such as those Mitama was causing would be perceived by people conditioned to believe the Emperor and Assembly understanding everything that is happening so they don't have to, would just not react to the novelty. Otherwise, they should have recognized the possibility that Mitama could possibly do anything either beneficial or harmful and so carefully act to please her at least and give her the reverence she wants befitting a "god".

But, of course, this show has more plot holes than there are pot holes in the roads of Detroit...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6