• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Persona 4 The Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
If they Johnny, Laura, Yuri, Troy, and everyone else back that'd be awesome, but if that isn't so I'll be watching it subbed. Persona 4's cast was great.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
First off I really hope they pull this anime off, they have been giving it the full court press in terms of trailers.

Why did sentai have to get it $70 for a bluray of 12 episodes, with OP and ED as the only extras with a new cast does not at all sound like something I can swing, atlest funi gives you a Limited edition box, plus the DVD plus the bluray, and a limited edition item along with actual extras for that price (looking at spice and wolf 2). or even less in most case.

glad this is getting a dub, and glad that someone picked it up, hope to pick it soon assuming that the anime is actually good (wonder if they will include the bonus level after you beat the game in the anime?)

ALL of Sentai's 12-13 episode sets have ended up on sale on Amazon for $38 at one point or another. The more popular ones, like Angel Beats and High School of the Dead, stayed at that price for weeks. In fact, I think HoTD was that price for nearly two months.

Just shop around and don't pay retail. It's not that hard.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
First off I really hope they pull this anime off, they have been giving it the full court press in terms of trailers.

Why did sentai have to get it $70 for a bluray of 12 episodes, with OP and ED as the only extras with a new cast does not at all sound like something I can swing, atlest funi gives you a Limited edition box, plus the DVD plus the bluray, and a limited edition item along with actual extras for that price (looking at spice and wolf 2). or even less in most case.

glad this is getting a dub, and glad that someone picked it up, hope to pick it soon assuming that the anime is actually good (wonder if they will include the bonus level after you beat the game in the anime?)

ALL of Sentai's 12-13 episode sets have ended up on sale on Amazon for $38 at one point or another. The more popular ones, like Angel Beats and High School of the Dead, stayed at that price for weeks. In fact, I think HoTD was that price for nearly two months.

thank you for focusing on 20% of my post, and I think they will change the cast a lot.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
Why would Sentai license this, ugh. If the cast doesn't have Yuri as Yosuke, Laura as Rise, JYB as Adachi, Dave as Teddy, and Troy as Kanji, the dub cast is NOTHING.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
Most of your post is whining about value though, not just 20%. Even though Lance at Funimation says they "eat the cost" of DVD/BluRay combos it is clear that DVD/Bluray combos are more expensive than either Sentai's DVD or Bluray releases and extras beyond OP/EDs are on a case by case basis. Since I don't generally watch BluRays or like having those cases in my house, getting a BluRay disc and a DVD in a BluRay case is absolutely useless to me.

But like some people in this thread assuming the makeup of the dub cast you are assuming far too much when this announcement is just say there will be DVD and Bluray releases, without enough information about packaging details or price to comment about relative value.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

thank you for focusing on 20% of my post, and I think they will change the cast a lot.

Actually the middle paragrah of your post focusing on price and packaging was closer to 30 or 40 percent of your post. The rest myself and others had already addressed REPEATEDLY.

Anyway, the DVD and Bluray releases are probably more than a year away. There is no point in getting worked up over it now. We have no way of knowing what they plan to do until they tell us.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Wow. People bitch when something doesn't get dubbed and when something DOES get a dub, and a Blu-ray, you people STILL bitch about it? Again, wow. Be happy that this series is even getting an English release.

Some fans....I swear.... -_-

I, on the other hand, am happy that this series got picked up - dub or no dub.

I would usually totally agree, I'm usually quite happy just hearing we're getting a good dub, but I think this is a special case as we are talking about a game with a decently sized and clearly quite profitable really dedicated fan base even in the US, and not just in Japan, particularly with Persona 3 and 4 recently that both did really well here and Atlus has pushed them quite nicely so in this particular case we aren't talking about something with no history here in the US (and quite relatively recent too) so I can easily understand those who would really like to see the excellent game cast back as it would make the entire product even more enjoyable and since I love the Persona games and I too put so many hours into Persona 4 and love the casting choices.

Anyway, I still have hope that they'll be able to do some kind of mix between their actors and a good number of the leads since the built in audience might make a little extra production costs seem reasonable (especially if the show delivers and gets good word of mouth during it's airing/simulcasting prior to it's home release next year).

More importantly, until we know more, Blu-ray is great news as the visuals look soooo freaking good and BD is also good news as it's raising the odds their will indeed be a dub in the first place since Sentai's been good about dual-languaging the shows they deem worthy of BD Smile
Keyl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
I will not give them my money if they don't at least try to get the original cast.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Getting out of region voice actors to come work on stuff is very rare in the industry.

In a case like this, it would be more logical to farm out the work to another studio in that region (which Sentai has done before), that has access to the same voice actors.

minakichan wrote:

Cool move, Sentai. Hope this comes out on Crunchyroll or the likes first.

Being licensed by Sentai means it will not be on Crunchyroll, as CR competes with their own streaming service, The Anime Network (which you can expect to simulcast it).
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:13 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
I would usually totally agree, I'm usually quite happy just hearing we're getting a good dub, but I think this is a special case as we are talking about a game with a decently sized and clearly quite profitable really dedicated fan base even in the US, and not just in Japan, particularly with Persona 3 and 4 recently that both did really well here and Atlus has pushed them quite nicely so in this particular case we aren't talking about something with no history here in the US (and quite relatively recent too) so I can easily understand those who would really like to see the excellent game cast back as it would make the entire product even more enjoyable and since I love the Persona games and I too put so many hours into Persona 4 and love the casting choices.

You're under the assumption Sentai is under any obligation to go with Atlas' localization/casting choices. They aren't. If people are a fan of them, good for them, but they don't have to pander to a group they don't want, and if people are going to boycott it over that, then they obviously don't care about the show or series itself and are just making excuses not to watch/buy it. Panderin would actually make me think less of them, actually, as if they think it can only be good if they play up the nostalgia factor like certain other companies try to do.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:40 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

You're under the assumption Sentai is under any obligation to go with Atlas' localization/casting choices. They aren't. If people are a fan of them, good for them, but they don't have to pander to a group they don't want, and if people are going to boycott it over that, then they obviously don't care about the show or series itself and are just making excuses not to watch/buy it. Panderin would actually make me think less of them, actually, as if they think it can only be good if they play up the nostalgia factor like certain other companies try to do.

Except...he isn't, pretty much all he said was that he would like to see the original dub cast back for this. And I dont think using the Atlus localized names would be 'pandering', but that still doesnt mean they would have to use them.

On topic, super excited about this announcement, I've been looking forward tot his show above all others this season, so to get a license announcement so soon is wonderful. Never would have expected Sentai to license this, I thought for sure Aniplex themselves would be the ones to release this show. Nice that we will, in theory, be getting a dub, and I do hope that they can manage to get the cast from the game back. Going to buy this regardless, I mean hey, thats what a subtitle track is for.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

minakichan wrote:

Being licensed by Sentai means it will not be on Crunchyroll, as CR competes with their own streaming service, The Anime Network (which you can expect to simulcast it).

Not even remotely true.

Do you not remember Demon King Daimao?
(I'd also like to point out that even with it being on CR, it still pulled in good enough numbers that they decided to dub it just from that alone)

Or let's go with the most recent case from last season, No. 6?
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:49 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they got digital distribution rights so I can watch this show legally online. As for the dub, I'm with everyone else who played the game in English - I'd like the original dub cast, especially after Bandai didn't with the Abyss anime, but at this point, I'm just happy we're getting it digitally at all, even if it is a bit delayed.

Thanks, Sentai!
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:03 am Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:

minakichan wrote:

Not even remotely true.

Do you not remember Demon King Daimao?
(I'd also like to point out that even with it being on CR, it still pulled in good enough numbers that they decided to dub it just from that alone)

Or let's go with the most recent case from last season, No. 6?

unlike those cases though this is like IS or kami-sama no memochou or X series simulcasted on Anime Network, since in those cases crunchy had the streaming rights before sentai got the dvd and distribution rights (along with the streaming rights)
which is the major reason why I wished fuinimation or crunchyroll got this (no not just because I have to pay for anime network, I already pay for CR) but because I have yet to see a show from them in which I liked (or in most cases disliked) the editing choices, which crunchyroll normally has good word choice who there editing unlike AN, and when crunchy is the one that has first dibs on the simulcast, then they handle the subs and just give their translation (and editing) to AN, also crunchy does let you say that they made a mistake please look here, unlike AN. normally at this point I would say YAY it's getting a dub so I won't have to worry about that, but it is going to be really disorienting if chie, youske, and everyone else sounds off, say what you will but I set a limit for my self of $2 a episodes on dvd. now obviously in a case like angel beats where I love the show, and can get the bluray for a little more I will pay more.
BUT A) I HAVE NOT EVEN SEEN THE FIRST EPISODE YET, is this going to be a good series, I think this director is the only one who could possibly pull it off
B) Is MOST of the major original cast coming back, because while I like the angel beats dub, I also have guin saga, and the main charcter (aoi's) voice from night raid making me scared of sentai dubs, that and they add a lot swearing where ever they can. part of the fun of this show is going to be reliving the story with characters I consider friends, if they suddenly sound different then it somewhat defeats the purpose (so yes I will probably be watching a few episodes, and then waiting for the dub assuming that the cast is coming back)
this is assuming that any new people or changes would not be UN-BEAR-ABLE in compression to the original cast (yes I just went there BEAR with it) if not hug teddie

B2) is the main charcter being played by someone other then johnny since he played dakiachi and him I think they should recast the one with least amount of lines (aka no lines) and that would be the main charcter.

C) are they going to include the true ending to the series?

D) what extras are they going to include (I WOULD LOVE TO BUY one of those teddy plushes that was in the soul links expansion packs)
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:39 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

unlike those cases though this is like IS or kami-sama no memochou or X series simulcasted on Anime Network, since in those cases crunchy had the streaming rights before sentai got the dvd and distribution rights (along with the streaming rights)

FWIW, Anime Network announced Daimaou first, before Crunchyroll did. Still a very rare case, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7