• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2007-12-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
last good yuyu hakusho fighting game was for 3DO LOOOOL!!!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Lemwon wrote:

Gonna have to disagree here. I'll admit I haven't seen Tekkonkreet or Ratatouille, but The Incredibles sucked. Alot. I'm probably biased because I've already found that most Pixar/Disney films suck, and stopped watching them. The Incredibles was bad for differnet reasons alot of other Pixar films were, but that doesn't change the fact it was a bad movie.

Funny how you go on and on about how all of these acclaimed, Oscar-winning, beloved-by-both-audiences-and-critics-alike films "suck" and are "bad movies" but yet you provide not one single reason whatsoever for your opinion!
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I love Ratatouille, and think it should win. That being said, is it too much to ask for an anime film to be among the final nominees, instead of Surf's Up? Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
AWO:
Quote:
It's a damn pity, because I'd really like to be able to read the text in the Berserk PS2 game, which is a lot like the Dreamcast one only it takes place more or less immediately after the anime ends. That game was actually supposed to come out here and never did, and I don't think it was an issue of the game being bad since the game is awesome.

That and the PS2 Jojo and Bebop games... *sigh*

Quote:
I should note that Astro Boy Omega Factor for the Game Boy Advance was released in the US, and that's one of the best anime-themed videogames ever.

And the only decent game on that system, for that matter.

hanachan:
Quote:
I'm more upset that Disney/Pixar didn't push for "Ratatouille" as a Best Picture of the Year nominee than an anime film not being nominated.

They tried to go for Best Picture with Beauty and the Beast, and the DGA got pissy, because they consider it to be more cartoonish than Star Wars. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I haven't seen Ratatouille (rat-a-too-ee) in theatres or DVD yet, but any cartoon is successful based on artistry, script & animation. Would I like Paprika to be nominated by the Golden Globes and/or Academy Awards? HELL, YEAH! However, Sony Pictures Classics dropped the ball.

They probably didn't think the Academy would toss out Luc Besson's troll flick.

Quote:
Still, Sony blew it as they had a MIND-BLOWING motion picture & marketed it as "Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theatres"!

Um, no they didn't.

indrik:
Quote:
Tekkonkinkreet was pretty good, but suffered from the same flaw as Akira: the source material was too rich, leaving us at the end with a movie that was a decent adaptation, but probably confusing for people who weren't familiar with the original.

I disagree. Both films effectively summed up their points.

Quote:

I really enjoyed the Ghost in the Shell SAC game for the PS2 that came out a couple of years ago. It was an obvious port of something else, but I don't remember what, and it was pretty fun.

No, it wasn't a port, but there was one for the PS1.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I love Ratatouille, and think it should win. That being said, is it too much to ask for an anime film to be among the final nominees, instead of Surf's Up? Rolling Eyes

Surf's Up was better than pretty much every theatrical anime release I saw this year, again barring Paprika which was technically a 2006 release.

People sure love to attack that movie without seeing it.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Ratatouille is, to me, one of the best films of the year, and probably the best film Pixar has ever made, which is saying a lot considering the sheer number of amazing films that studio has produced.

Glad to see Ratatouille getting the love it deserves. It's one of the best movies I saw all year. If I had any complaint it's that it's themes are almost too adult. I don't think young children will enjoy it near as much as I did.

As much of an anime fan as I am I have to say most anime movies don't really warrent Oscar contention. I invariable find them pretentious and incomprehensible. I think most anime TV shows are far more accessible to an american audiance then anime movies. Probably has something to do with TV having to appeal to a broader audience.
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm surprised. I honestly didn't expect Ratatouille to be so warmly recieved here. Hah, shows how much I know.
Lemwon wrote:
I've already found that most Pixar/Disney films suck, and stopped watching them. The Incredibles was bad for differnet reasons alot of other Pixar films were, but that doesn't change the fact it was a bad movie.

Whoa... hang on there a minute. Please elaborate a little, if you're that strongly opinionated on the matter it would help if you backed it up.

I final had the opportunity to watch Paprika the other day and where as I enjoyed it immensely, I thought Satoshi Kon's other works were better. It certainly had amazing visuals, the strongest in any of his films, but it lacked the great characterization of "Godfathers" and depth of Millennium Actress. Still, had it been nominated, it could have been an easy contender at last year's Oscars.

Last edited by Lucca_Ashtear on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheVok

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
I don't think young children will enjoy it near as much as I did.

Sure they do ... just for different reasons.

The same is true of Miyazaki's movies. I can't count how many adult viewers proclaim 'Spirited Away' as too slow or weird for kids, yet in reality throngs of children are spellbound by it. You can let pretty much any little kid watch 'My Neighbor Totoro' and they'll be totally into it ... yet adults love it too.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen Ratatouille yet; in the queue. But it's directed by Brad Bird and that's all I ever needed to know. Like Iron Giant and the Incredibles, everything that man had done I have enjoyed immensely.

That being said, I don't have a favorite, in regards to the Oscars or Golden Globes. Maybe once I see Ratatouille, Surf's Up and Persopolis, I'll have a better idea.

As an anime fan, I really would love to see Girl Who Leapt Through Time be NOMINATED. That's it. That's enough. Hoping for a nomination doesn't automatically mean I think that "anime deserves/should to win". A nomination means, at the very least, that someone may give the film a shot because it was included in the list of nominees. A "someone" who may have had little exposure to Japanese anime outside of Miyazaki. To me, that's a bit of a "win" because they may discover someone new they like or not like it at all. But, hey, at least they saw it.
Jadress

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
Best bad anime video game ever? Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle for Super Nintendo. It actually could have been worse, but the audio is SO BAD, that I don't have the technical knowledge to make a comparison of how bad it is! I love that terrible game, and I am glad to own it. Anime hyper

I've always sort of hated the "Best Animated Feature" category of the Oscars because it just sort of proves to me the idea that an animated film could never be considered worthy enough to contend with the live action fare for all the other categories. Then again, the Oscars are kind of a crackpot popularity contest in some sense anyway. Not that it isn't nice for something to be recognized though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
So Ratatouille is really that good? I'm really sick of CG movies and Pixar [especially after Finding Nemo. That movie had way too much hype and honestly, was boring.] but I may have to watch that and The Incredibles.

I love everything I see from Satoshi Kon, so I can't wait to see Paprika, but I can't say right now if I think it deserved to be nominated last year or not.

As for anime games: I like the Bleach game for the Wii. As far as fighters go, it's not Soul Calibur, but it's pretty solid and fun if you're a fan of the series. I mean, who doesn't want to see Orihime beat Zaraki? Anime hyper
Asako

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:41 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Surf's Up was better than pretty much every theatrical anime release I saw this year

SURF'S UP!! Okay, I totally agree that Surf's up was great. I can understand how people are tired of seeing penguins, but that movie was more about the story than about penguins Smile There are so many creative elements in that movie I don't even know where to begin with it.

It was also the only animated film that I saw 3 times in the theater and laughed either just as hard or harder at the jokes. I'm going to go watch it again now that it's been mentioned Anime hyper That movie grabs a wider range of viewers who will enjoy it than most other North American animated films. I choose it over Ratatouille, no contest.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
And the only decent game on that system, for that matter.

I'm disappointed GATSU. I generally find your comments to be mostly total non-sequiturs but at least you usually avoid unsupported blanket statements.

Off the top of my head:
-Fire Emblem + Sequel
-Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
-Advance Wars + Sequel

Plus If you count remakes,
-Final Fantasy IV, V, VI
- Zelda: Link to the Past

Last edited by ikillchicken on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quote
i've seen Paprika & Surf's Up. Surf's up was just one of those cool thing now movies, and only probably did well because of Happy Feet when all the kids thought Penguins were cool.

The only good penguin movie out there are was: The Pebble and Penguin. Had dancing, surfing, and penguins before everyone.
And it was made (mostly w/out credit to him) by the Master of Deep cartoons: Don Bluth.

Paprika, saw it and though it confused me the second viewing made the story clear for me. I've only seen the first thirty minutes of Ratatouille.

I'll buy both Ratatouille & Tekkonkreet and get back to you on my verdict.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Asako

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:48 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Surf's up was just one of those cool thing now movies, and only probably did well because of Happy Feet when all the kids thought Penguins were cool.

The only good penguin movie out there are was: The Pebble and Penguin. Had dancing, surfing, and penguins before everyone.
And it was made (mostly w/out credit to him) by the Master of Deep cartoons: Don Bluth.
I've seen Happy Feet, and I thought it was utterly boring. The jokes in that movie were mediocre and the animation of the penguins, although they seemed to try and hold true to a realistic penguin movement, I really felt it took away from the film. I guess I have a hard time watching realistic looking penguins trying to carry a tune. Something about how they have no lips make it difficult for me to imagine their beaks making such sounds where the only thing that moves is their tongues, but while they "sing" all they resemble are penguins trying to swallow a fish.

I thought March of the Penguins brought more interest into the penguin rave than anything. And although being skeptical about Surfs Up because it was a "penguin" film, I thought it was funny and I think it'll still be funny in the future. They could have used some other animal besides penguins for the film and it would still be funny IMHO. What I don't think will be funny are things like Shrek which have a lot of jokes that relate itself to a particular time period and are lost as time goes on and people phase out of that. The jokes will become difficult to understand unless you know about that reference. Anime does this too with some jokes that refer to a popular singer or actor at the time. I think people outside of Japan notice it more because we aren't immersed in their current pop culture and it makes us think "what? I didn't quite get that." Things like that.

But.. I don't think I'll post more about American movies beyond this :/ unless I tie it more to anime talk. This is ANN afterall Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7