• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Gets Shigofumi, True Tears Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I had an interest in these titles and would like to get them but.... man, its going to be hard to get myself to shell out that kind of money and that much shelf space. I may yet get these, but that's a big, big Maybe.
indrik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I understand. Are they saying that the two episode discs are $39.99 MSRP and the single episode discs are $29.99 MSRP, or that Shigofumi is $29.99 per disc, and the other is $39.99 per disc? Or something else entirely?
cloud1989

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if its been mentioned, but if you read the press release AOD has from bandaivisual then true tears is to be released with a price of 29.99 with vol. 1-6 containing two episodes and vol. 7 containing 1.

Uh, never mind I read the update posted right above it on AOD, don't know how I missed it, anyways how ofter will these dvd's be released.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the article is a bit messed up. Right after the first SRP pricing for Shigofumi, the article repeats itself.

Anyway, yay for two great titles. Boo for pricing. Seven DVDs? Well, nice extras, I suppose. Better be a pretty box for each. How often does Japan do boxes anyway? Since BV is giving us what they give Japan...
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
I don't think I understand. Are they saying that the two episode discs are $39.99 MSRP and the single episode discs are $29.99 MSRP, or that Shigofumi is $29.99 per disc, and the other is $39.99 per disc? Or something else entirely?

You had it right the first time.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
The article in describing the Shigofumi release schedule wrote:
The first six English-subbed Bandai Visual DVDs of this series will start shipping on May 13 for US$39.99 with two episodes each; the seventh and last DVD will have one episode for US$29.99.
The encyclopedia entry for Shigofumi wrote:
Number of episodes: 12

Is one of these wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
msevigny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
Za_randomness wrote:
Every time, right after I shout for joy at a new license announcement, I cringe in fear to see if it's a Bandai title.

Granted, they pick some good titles, but they're more expensive than Criterion Collection movies. No matter how I look at it, two episodes of better-than-middling (and sometimes damned good) anime just can't justify the price or even the space a two-episode-a-DVD set would take up.

I recognize that the Criterion Collection and Bandai operate in somewhat different spheres, and that there are more imperfections in making an argument comparing the two, but their rationale is largely the same - we have the good stuff, so pay us more. From that angle, I just can't justify the price.

The Criterion Collection is useful in highlighting what's wrong with this situation. CC movies are usually selected based on artistic merit--there's no indication that's the case with BV, they're just the two latest acquisitions. CC movies often contain multiple audio/subtitle tracks when available; here we're getting English subs only. CC movies have a wealth of extra features that help enhance and enrich understanding and enjoyment of the film; anime extras tend to be cheap junk thrown in to artificially inflate the price.

This is the reality of the situation: I can buy the first season of 30 Rock for thirty dollars, or I can buy the first EPISODE of True Tears for the same amount. Nothing about True Tears indicates that it cost 20 times more to produce than 30 Rock, and its origin and medium do not increase its value twenty-fold. The only reason this price discrepancy exists is that the Japanese industry hopes North Americans are as stupid as their Japanese fans. It's not like NBC has high regard for me as a viewer, either. But it seems they employ at least one person who has taken a class in market research in the last fifty years.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
The article in describing the Shigofumi release schedule wrote:
The first six English-subbed Bandai Visual DVDs of this series will start shipping on May 13 for US$39.99 with two episodes each; the seventh and last DVD will have one episode for US$29.99.
The encyclopedia entry for Shigofumi wrote:
Number of episodes: 12

Is one of these wrong?

I entered number "12" according to the story page of the official site. It is possible (and almost becomes mandatory nowadays) that the series contains a DVD-only episode to encourage viewers buying DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I entered number "12" according to the story page of the official site. It is possible (and almost becomes mandatory nowadays) that the series contains a DVD-only episode to encourage viewers buying DVD.

Ah, well that makes sense.

Those episodes any good usually? I am sure it varies, but I mean most of the time.

Or in other words are they as good as the main show was at least?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
How about we just boycott those people over at Bandai Visual USA.

The anime otaku can always buy an all-reigon DVD player and get R2s straight from Japan.

Plus the late-night anime is pro-otaku anyway. There's not a lot of anime normal people can enjoy.
Za_randomness

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:50 am Reply with quote
I will say, though, that I'm glad they didn't license [series name omitted due to fear of jinxing.] I've started to mentally translate a Bandai license as a death sentence to my purchasing wishes.
poehitman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
You guys will peobably think me a cheap bastard for this, but so be it. I'm a realist.

I'll still download fansubs over this for two reasons. Number one, I'm disabled and have no income, but I do get gift certificates from time to time by doing online surveys, which is how I buy the few DVD's I do buy. Number two, the selling point for R1 DVD's for me (and a lot of other people, I would venture a guess) is that it's AN ENGLISH DUB! If you remove the prime selling point, your sales will severely suffer. If they want to beat fansubs, they have to offer something that fansubs don't offer. And I don't mean the piddly extras they throw in on DVD's. Most of which I never bother looking at. The extras on the majority of anime DVD's I see are clean OP and ED sequences, trailers for other anime, and if you're lucky, maybe some original line art.

So tell me, what does a sub-only R1 release have to offer me over fansubs? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I don't give a crap about the legality of it. If I am gonna purchase an anime DVD for the expensive prices they are charging, I am DAMN SURE gonna make sure I thoroughly enjoyed the series before I shell out what little funds I have for it. Fansubbers provide a service that the vast majority don't ask anything for. I'm not going to pay $39.99 for 2 episodes of what are essentially fansubs on DVD. I can make those myself for the cost of a blank DVD+R.

For me, downloading and watching a fansub is no different than watching a show that I taped earlier or that a friend taped for me. It's no different than when I happen to miss an episode of Stargate Atlantis and I download it to watch it later. And I don't know about you all, but I NEVER purchase a season of a TV show without first watching that season of a show on TV. They cost too much to waste money on something I don't know if I will like. Since they aren't shown on TV (in most places and cases) in the US, fansubs are the only way to view these series before buying them.

And I need to view an ENTIRE series before I make a decision on purchasing it. Too many series will have a good beginning or a good middle, and then royally botch the ending. I can think of Star Ocean EX right off the top of my head. It was a funny series until the last 1/3 of it which left me scratching my head and asking what the hell just happened.

spoiler[The end the series basically right in the MIDDLE of the final battle. There is no ending or resolution to ANY of the major plotlines in the story. I don't know about you all, but I won't buy a movie with a crappy non-existant ending just because the first 2/3 of it was good.]
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
Shigofumi does look pretty good, I haven't watched any of it yet cause 2 weekly anime at a time is the most I can handle :p
But True Tears was a no brainer for me, I love romance-drama stuff and i fell in love with this show in the first episode.
I'll be honest, I buy really few anime. But when I do buy a boxset, it means that it got EVERYTHING. By that I mean 1- I rated it as a masterpiece 2- It's visually stunning 3-and has a great soundtrack.
It might be a bit too soon to tell for sure, but True Tears was going straight up to my top 10 list. I love everything about this show, one of the prettiest anime to watch ever and I just love the main theme song.
But at that price... I'll pass. I'm all for the "speed release has a price", but there's a limit to that. Here in North-America, we don't have the same fan base as they have in Japan (nor the salary but that's an other issue..), I can't understand why they're "even trying" that marketing approach.

But yeah, this topic proved that there are some hardcore otaku out there who'll buy it whatever the price is.
Mindless Watcher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
I'm a poor college student from some idiotic EU country that puts a 23,5% tax on all DVD imports if anyone cares. I know all of you you can do better to support your own anime industry. Where's the catch? I just allocate money to my priorities, and it just so happens that anime is at the top of my list.

Cry please. The dollar is in free fall, so more power to us. And if you're really ever paid an import tax when buying from outside the EU then you're doing it wrong.
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:17 am Reply with quote
BVUSA are you kidding me? 30 bucks an episode? Thats more then an a dollar a minute. FBI warning? dollar. BVUSA logo, another dollar. Opening? You just got a value meal from mc donalds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8