• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Xam'd: Lost Memories (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wellness

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Two more episodes to go and looks like we are about to get two big showdowns next episode.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Saw the last episode. I'm gonna miss this show Crying or Very sad

First of all, the action in the past few episodes has been intense...and REALLY well animated. The fight between spoiler[Akiyuki and the emperor] was just too cool. But the last episode was all about the aftermath. I really liked how everything turned out (even spoiler[Nakiami...I liked the way they handled it, showing everyone still thinking about her years later]). They also totally fooled me with spoiler[Hinokimaru looking like Raigyo] lol.

As for my thoughts on the overall series...it was one of the best of '08, probably THE best. One thing I really liked about this series is that I never quite knew where it was going. Quite a lot happened for a 26 episode series, but I still feel like it would have benefited from being longer. I wouldn't mind Bones revisiting this story through a movie or something. My only gripe is that some elements of the story's world weren't as well defined as they should have been, but in the end none of it significantly hurt my enjoyment of the show. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the subs might have glossed over some bits here and there. I think a second viewing (hopefully with a dub, and on Blu Ray) would clear things up. I REALLY want this on BluRay. The best part of having it on PS3 was that it looked absolutely gorgeous.
Wellness

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Saw the last episode. I'm gonna miss this show Crying or Very sad

First of all, the action in the past few episodes has been intense...and REALLY well animated. The fight between spoiler[Akiyuki and the emperor] was just too cool. But the last episode was all about the aftermath. I really liked how everything turned out (even spoiler[Nakiami...I liked the way they handled it, showing everyone still thinking about her years later]). They also totally fooled me with spoiler[Hinokimaru looking like Raigyo] lol.

As for my thoughts on the overall series...it was one of the best of '08, probably THE best. One thing I really liked about this series is that I never quite knew where it was going. Quite a lot happened for a 26 episode series, but I still feel like it would have benefited from being longer. I wouldn't mind Bones revisiting this story through a movie or something. My only gripe is that some elements of the story's world weren't as well defined as they should have been, but in the end none of it significantly hurt my enjoyment of the show. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the subs might have glossed over some bits here and there. I think a second viewing (hopefully with a dub, and on Blu Ray) would clear things up. I REALLY want this on BluRay. The best part of having it on PS3 was that it looked absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah, while a few things held me up about the ending spoiler[like what happened to the Hiruken Emperor and how or what happened at the end with Akiyuki], for the most part it was a pretty good ending and I am glad it ended on a happy note.

Still, I am somewhat glad it was just 26 episodes, because if it was a full 50 or 52, then I worry much like Eureka Seven, things would have been slowed down to a less desirable degree. As it is now, even if they cut stuff out, I am very happy with the series.

spoiler[Anyone else surprised that the Sentan Island commander survived, albeit in a coma? I was sure a bullet to the dome would have been GGPO.]
guet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
Just finished the series, I loved it. The final battles are truly some of Bones best work. Also about the question asking what happened to spoiler[the Hiruken Emperor, the way I understood it was that the emperor was sealed in the chamber with Nakiami. I believe there was a line about the mother's embrace. So, in a way they will both wake up in 1k years. Even though the "real" Akiyuki will have been long since dead his memories will remain. I would mind a second series set in that timeline myself.

As for what happened to Akiyuki, they brought him back to the island, where it took him 9 years to find his lost memories and to wake up. The final scene shows that the flowers that were growing on Akiyuki were now growing on the ground. As to how he got his memories back, I'm not sure, but I think it has to do with the scene where he is first in the city that doesn't know him, and later talking with Nakiami about how no one knows his name, and also with the theme that others' thoughts can reach a person no matter how far away they are.

I really liked the scenes showing everyone in the future, but I wish that there had been just a bit more to the ending scene than the two professing their love for one another (even Akiuki's father got to kiss the girl). A minor gripe about one of the years best.]
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
So it really is that good huh.

I imagined that the animation would be awesome being on PS3 and all but most anime promoted like this with amazing animation have turned out to have average and unoriginal stories so I've been passing. I'll check out the trailer though.

The other thing that puts me off is the retail. If you really look at it $4 per episode would eventually come out to half the price of the series if it were put out on DVD (unless there were a cheap thin pack). That's not the only problem though: when you buy and download something off of the PSN video store you can't re-download it, even if you delete your original copy. If it's rental only though then I guess that's a different story, it still feels steep.

Maybe when I have more money and aren't burdened by things like Street Fighter IV and the Akira Blu-Ray I'll check this show out.

Oh, and one more question, I know the show is in 1080p, but what about the sound? Is it 5.1 or DTS or anything like that?
spooksmagee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
Good ending to a brilliant show. I liked how spoiler[we got to catch up with all the major characters 9 years later, although I agree with previous posts that some people surviving was a bit far-fetched.] I can't fault the show for that minor detail though, everything else was just so well done.

I was also glad to see that spoiler[ Haru wasn't screwed over in the end, and after (only Rolling Eyes) 9 years she got to be with Akiyuki. For a second there I thought BONES would pull a FMA style ending and deny the female protagonist her love interest (poor Winry...).]

Overall, excellent show though, probably my favorite of the year.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:16 am Reply with quote
I might check this show out one day, but I looked at the pricing on PSN right now and noticed that you can only rent it and that still costs more than it does to buy any other show on PSN, even in standard definition.
Wellness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
I might check this show out one day, but I looked at the pricing on PSN right now and noticed that you can only rent it and that still costs more than it does to buy any other show on PSN, even in standard definition.

Yeah, I am hoping for a dub sooner rather then later but since this is a Sony product distributed over PSN, who knows when that might happen or if anyone will take the chance sinces the subs were already released.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:46 pm Reply with quote
That was fabulous. As others have noted, its main flaw was in not being longer, and it bit off more than it could chew. But...

spoiler[the ending made up for all of it. I adored seeing all the characters grown up, especially Yango! His screen-time was perfect.

I think the Captain should have stayed dead, but Nakiami sleeping for 1,000 years was enough.

Poor Haru. Nine years, but at least they ended up together.

This series still gets an award for having one of the gutsiest character deaths I've ever seen--one of the major characters beheading himself is pretty intense.

One complaint I did have was Haru's reaction to Midori. If not for a more tragic, dramatic effect, I think Haru should at least have been in shock and surprised--I know if my baby sister appeared before me like that I would be speechless and furious. I also think that maybe Midori should have died.

I liked the solution to the emperor's problem at the end, but I'm curious as to the effects it had on Akiyuki. They didn't really explain that--I guess just the fact that it took him nine years to get home?]

Again, well done.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
The story had quite a few holes, with too many major components left unexplained. However, great characters, great pacing, and pretty good closure made this series an instant win. While it was somewhat generic, it was done so well that it's a whole different experience in itself. So far, I've enjoyed this series the most from the Oct, 2008 season.
kornpone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
In case you haven't caught this yet, late-night tv broadcasts recently began in major Japanese markets --which means that fansubbed versions are likely making the rounds already.

It's damned good-- a kind of grown-up pastiche of various Miyazaki films (as others have noted previously), most notably Laputa, Nausicaa, and Mononoke, although set in a Cold War like world that seems somewhat closer to ours somehow.

To be honest, many of the character designs don't appeal to me especially, but the overall look and feel of the show is immensely engaging. A great deal of thought has gone into the whole production. It's just a shame that Sony initially decided to skewer it on such a narrow distribution scheme. . .

Now I just have to fight the urge to look at the spoilers in this thread Laughing
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
kornpone wrote:
Now I just have to fight the urge to look at the spoilers in this thread Laughing

Don't do it! Seriously. Don't. It's worth the wait.
kornpone

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks BleuVII-- with that endorsement I think I might just be able to fight it. Seeya again in a couple of months. . . Wink

o/t Fukushima, eh? Lotsa nuke plants on the coast there. . .
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
For those who've already seen the series, there's now a new OP and ED(can't find a link anymore, sorry). Both are really good, but are clearly intended to be for the second half of the series, since they show a lot of stuff that doesn't appear until then and it's overall pretty spoilery. They're also done by the same artists, Boom Boom Satellites and Kylee.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the second OP might be considered spoirelific, but yet - damn good - as the series, and the first OP, which I adore. Sheerly classy and the editing and synchro of visuals and sound, you know, nothing less than excellent Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6