• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
joshuafer wrote:
I wonder if the guy who spoiler[ took a shot at rolo, the shot lelouch intercepted, was shirley's brother. He said something about avenging his father. ] We will see.

No no, the father in question was a minor season one character, Andreas Dalton. He tried to stop Jeremiah from letting Zero escape in episode four. The sniper is in no way related to Shirley.

The reason I didn't spoiler tag the above paragraph is that the information is public knowledge. Shirley's family name is Fenette, whereas the sniper in question has a family name of Dalton (no surprise there, given his father's name).
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
Dalton is the tall, strong, and dark general directly under Cornelia. He has a strong chin and a prominent scar across his face. He arrived in Japan in episode 6 of season 1. The one you're talking about--the one who was with Jeremiah--is another minor character.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote
Dalton was the one he geassed at the end of season 1, right? The one that set up Cornelia for him and was fighting through a fatal wound at the time to do so?

Anyways, great episode, I love how he spoiler[totally broke Rollo's little mind], and without having to use his geass (directly) to do so. Totally Batman move. Rollo's pretty messed up too, a dangerous ally to be sure.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
spoiler[The recycled plan for collapsing the structure is very annoying. You would think that Britannia would have eliminated the ability for a single person - or any number of people - to collapse the structure like that. But oh no, they didn't. Also, Lelouch managed to arrange it in less than a day. It should have taken him that long just to figure out the identities of the staff that Britannia had foolishly given total access to, let alone managing to get one of them alone to Geass him. ]

At the risk of fanwanking, spoiler[There's no evidence to suggest that the person in question was Geassed *recently*.] Lelouche was active for some time as Zero during R1, and has been established as a master strategist and manipulator. It's quite possible that he could track down random government employees when he has some downtime and Geass them to respond to a code phrase or something, so that he has pawns he can use in a pinch. For example, "Whenever you hear the phrase 'The mouse and cat breed bunnies between them', you will then do exactly what the speaker orders you to, without question or reservation." Then just keep track of where the person has access, and when you need something done on short notice go into the files and see which little mice are in a position to help.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Turn 4 is actually one of my favorite early episodes, all things considered, but I think dtm42's main point is definitely valid spoiler[since Britannia should have completely overhauled the system after the Black Rebellion fiasco. Granted, this time the structural collapse was restricted to a smaller area, but the point remains. Only incompetence or overconfidence would explain why they didn't.

It is also implied that Lelouch made the arrangements recently, using a random policeman as the vector (and victim) of choice, who then broke into one of the structure monitoring stations. We simply never see what kind of Geass command Lelouch used, so there's some latitude for interpretation. Then again, we didn't get to see how he used Geass on the monitoring personnel during season one either. ]

That aside, re-watching the series is still fairly interesting, since it provides some perspective on what was or wasn't followed up later on, including some intentional or unintentional bits of foreshadowing here and there.

On a different note, apparently an unedited master is being used, since the original broadcast didn't have quite as much blood present during a couple of scenes. One could well continue to assume they are using DVD footage. Nothing major to that, for the time being, just an observation.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Turn 4 is actually one of my favorite early episodes, all things considered, but I think dtm42's main point is definitely valid spoiler[since Britannia should have completely overhauled the system after the Black Rebellion fiasco. Granted, this time the structural collapse was restricted to a smaller area, but the point remains. Only incompetence or overconfidence would explain why they didn't.]

Not necessarily, budget and logistics also explain it: spoiler[We're talking about the infrastructure of an entire city, and potentially many other similar ones in the Empire. There's been a year and change since the Black Rebellion- if they've even had enough time to put a solution into practice, they'd probably start with another city, one more strategically important. Though significant for it's deposits of Sakuradite and proximity to the Chinese Federation, Japan is otherwise just a colony. It would make sense for them to fortify the homeland cities from anyone who wants to pull a copycat attack first.

It's also possible that the Britannians willfully left things intact, perhaps knowing that they could use it themselves to subdue a rebellion if another broke out. They could have tried to prevent a future terrorist attack by beefing up security, though it was ultimately fruitless because they didn't know about Geass. In that case, however, you do have a point: Fool me once, shame on you...]
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Call me crazy, but I'm actually enjoying this season a bit more than the first...at least just based on these few episodes. Despite the WTF-ness of the beginning, each episode has been pretty exciting (which I can't say for season one).
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Turn 4 is actually one of my favorite early episodes, all things considered, but I think dtm42's main point is definitely valid spoiler[since Britannia should have completely overhauled the system after the Black Rebellion fiasco. Granted, this time the structural collapse was restricted to a smaller area, but the point remains. Only incompetence or overconfidence would explain why they didn't.]

Well, then, let us look at Britannia's incompetence or overconfidence: spoiler[The block structure must stay because they are there to absorb shocks from earthquakes. An electronic force purge system is necessary because it is impossible to eliminate the need to adjust for unexpected force in order to avoid an undesirable collapse pattern. A manual control is necessary in order to correct problems in the electronic purge system--if computerized--or start the purge--if simply an interface for manual control.] We see, then, that Britannia is neither incompetent nor overconfident. They simply didn't get rid of a necessary system.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Ah, even if you are right and they do need the system spoiler[(debatable, given that major earthquakes occur less often than terrorist attacks), it is relatively simple to install safety measures. And did they install such measures? That's a negative.]

Honestly, how hard is it to ensure that you need say three people to spoiler[manually override the system? The regular army did not know about Geass, but they did know about traitors and blackmail. They did know about the possibility of terrorists storming the command centre and doing it themselves. To allow that much power to any one person with access to the command centre is incredibly stupid. Even with Zero being "dead" there were still others who hadn't stopped fighting.]
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Call me crazy, but I'm actually enjoying this season a bit more than the first...at least just based on these few episodes. Despite the WTF-ness of the beginning, each episode has been pretty exciting (which I can't say for season one).

Yeah, I've been thinking that too (also I liked the "WTF-ness" of the first episode, it was awesome). The 2nd season, so far, has proven it's self to be more entertaining then the first. It might be because the writers and directors have finally found a comfort zone so they can now create at a high level, or it could be because they already had the story set up so now everything seems so much more intense to us now. What ever the case is, I have to admit I like this season more, and I hope it continues in this pattern.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
BES Null Core wrote:

Well, then, let us look at Britannia's incompetence or overconfidence:

Pardon, but where did we hear all this? I don't doubt it, I just don't recall where in the series this was brought up. Maybe Lulu was doing his thing at the time and I got distracted?

Quote:

Honestly, how hard is it to ensure that you need say three people to

If you need three people, all the enemy needs is the one guy who has the authority to command all three.
BES Null Core

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
BES Null Core wrote:

Well, then, let us look at Britannia's incompetence or overconfidence:

Pardon, but where did we hear all this? I don't doubt it, I just don't recall where in the series this was brought up. Maybe Lulu was doing his thing at the time and I got distracted?

The parts about the blocks being there for the purpose of controlling earthquakes is in episode 24 of season 1, in the first 6 minutes.

dtm42 wrote:
Honestly, how hard is it to ensure that you need say three people to spoiler[manually override the system? The regular army did not know about Geass, but they did know about traitors and blackmail. They did know about the possibility of terrorists storming the command centre and doing it themselves. To allow that much power to any one person with access to the command centre is incredibly stupid. Even with Zero being "dead" there were still others who hadn't stopped fighting.]

Let us look at the spoiler[purge system] in detail and see how well your arguments stand. First, refer to episode 24 of season 1. It is clear that the system is divided into multiple blocks, since spoiler[Zero managed to cause only the rim of the city to collapse, which is by design.] Let us then say that the system is divided into blocks {1, 2, ... n}. Similarly, we can say that there are control rooms {1, 2, .... m}. m>=14, since we see control room 14 in ep 24 of season 1. For any block i, spoiler[there can be at most 1 control room that causes it to collapse, since the Glaston knight in episode 4 of season 2 was able to point the troops to the exact control room that triggered the collapse where he was.] And lastly, a control room must control at least 1 block, since that is the definition of a control room. Therefore, we can say that 14<=m<=n.

Let us now address the extent of "such power." We return to how much infiltration is necessary to cause a certain amount of damage. We see two distinct people in control rooms 8 and 14 during the Black Rebellion. Therefore, it takes at least 2 separate control rooms to spoiler[purge one side of the city rim.] Just before spoiler[the purge, we see 3 separate turns of the switch, meaning at least 3 people we needed.] Then, look at the troop distribution: spoiler[they are essentially continuously along one side of the wall. Since the perimeter is continuous, it only makes sense that they are controlled by continuous rooms. Since we saw 8 and 14, there were 7 separate control rooms used.] Depending on the method of counting, Zero used 2-7 people--"such power" is actually quite limited. Then, a minimum of 3-8 people per room is necessary to beat the number of people Zero deployed. However, any of these numbers is within the same order of magnitude as those used by Zero--between 1 and 10--, so the increase in safety is merely incremental, any a number beyond 10 is ridiculous for the number of active personnel Britannia needs to employ per room.

We see that the only safety measures Britannia could have taken are to screen the workers more rigorously for loyalty and increase physical security on the outside. The latter is worthless against Geass, and the former spoiler[requires a strength of will for which Britannia has no way of measuring.] Therefore, there is nothing Britannia could have done to prevent Zero from repeating his stunt, nor is there any reason to waste screen time explicitly showing such precautions being taken, since the audience knows they do not present any impediment to Zero.

dtm42 wrote:
Ah, even if you are right and they do need the system spoiler[(debatable, given that major earthquakes occur less often than terrorist attacks), it is relatively simple to install safety measures. And did they install such measures? That's a negative.]

Earthquakes are inevitable facts of the Tokyo area, and a violent earthquake is also inevitable, merely with lower probability. A terrorist attack spoiler[that manages to hijack the control rooms] is not an inevitability. Therefore, having a system as in the Tokyo settlement is preferred. Therefore, the blocks and control rooms must be present as previously reasoned.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:

Same here. After the awful first episode, it has redeemed itself with the following episodes. But we'll have to see how it goes after these few episodes and if it goes back to "day in the life of a high school kid" episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:

Same here. After the awful first episode, it has redeemed itself with the following episodes. But we'll have to see how it goes after these few episodes and if it goes back to "day in the life of a high school kid" episodes.

Yea, I think the reason I'm enjoying it more is because the school-life stuff isn't shown as much as it used to. And when they do focus on it it's moving the plot forward (like Lelouch hanging out with Shirley to fool Rolo).
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
@BES Null Core:
What we saw in episode four of season two was one person purge a section. I'm saying that safeguards should have been in place to prevent any one person having that power. Even if he was a highly trusted man with a lot of power of the system, he should still not have been able to do it himself.

Also, if there are separate control rooms for separate sections, then if I were Guilford I would have kept a keen eye on the control room which controlled the section which the executions were to be held.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 60