• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Questions / Identifying Anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zaepian

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Zaeipan - sounds like you might be talking about Ninja Scroll - a movie you could very well have seen on HBO. It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I looked up the Wikipedia entry on it and there was a ninja group known as the "Devils of Kimon" (seven of them) plus their leader. Their leader is Gemma who I think seemed to be helping the hero before revealing his true identity and agenda. Anyway, look up the Wikipedia plot description and see if it's ringing any bells.

I just went and checked out some of the footage on YouTube. Very similar, but unfortunately not the one I saw. Thanks for the suggestion, you've given me hope that maybe there actually is enough info for someone to identify the film I saw.

As I recall, near the end of the film, there's actually a portal floating in the sky that's opening and our hero is down to the wire, fighting to get it closed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I couldn't help you out. But I think you've provided enough detail that if someone else has seen the movie, they'd recognize it from your descriptions. Best of luck!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
@ Zaepian
It sounds like it might be Wrath of the Ninja, aka Yotoden. That's ostensibly about a female ninja, but the guy with the sword is the real protagonist.
Zaepian

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
@ Zaepian
It sounds like it might be Wrath of the Ninja, aka Yotoden. That's ostensibly about a female ninja, but the guy with the sword is the real protagonist.

Man, this one is equally as similar, but not the one I'm looking for. It's incredible how alike some of these films are. When I began my quest, I didn't think there would be anything like the film I was seeking for it to be confused with. How wrong I was. I just hope the one I'm looking for doesn't elude me forever… Thank you very much for your suggestion though. I appreciate the help I'm getting here.
pibburns

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
Zaepian wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
@ Zaepian

Man, this one is equally as similar, but not the one I'm looking for. It's incredible how alike some of these films are. When I began my quest, I didn't think there would be anything like the film I was seeking for it to be confused with. How wrong I was. I just hope the one I'm looking for doesn't elude me forever… Thank you very much for your suggestion though. I appreciate the help I'm getting here.

Note that there are two versions of the Yotoden anime: a three episode OVA, and a movie edited from the OVA. The movie aired from time to time in the early 2000s on the Encore television network. I agree with Gina Szanboti that Yotoden, probably the movie version, is a good candidate for what you saw. For example, the Hosts of Oboro are among the villains; the character Ryoan is a monk who does not realize he one of the Host of Oboro and is helpful to the protagonists until he is killed; the story takes place in 1580 in Japan; etc.

If you only looked at the OVA, I suggest viewing the movie if you can find a copy to check if that might be closer to what you remember seeing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
...and the portal in the sky they're trying to close at the end! The only thing I can think of is that he might've seen two different movies and blended the details in his memory over the years, remembering Yotoden's plot and the other movie's animation style. Smile
Zaepian

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
...and the portal in the sky they're trying to close at the end! The only thing I can think of is that he might've seen two different movies and blended the details in his memory over the years, remembering Yotoden's plot and the other movie's animation style. Smile

You could be somewhat right. I'll admit that. However, I wouldn't be blending styles, as the film I saw did look exactly like Yotoden. I just have a scene etched in my mind that I've been looking for and haven't found yet. I did go and check out the Yotoden movie on YouTube and skimmed through it, but didn't see what I was remembering. Perhaps I'll just have to watch the entire film and see if it rings my memory. I'll get back to you guys afterwards. Thanks a ton for the help.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I see. Well, as pibburns pointed out, you might have to watch the OVAs too, since, I think, the movie cut some scenes from the OVAs for running time.

Good luck!
#AnataWaBaka

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
first of all, English is my second language, just to let you know,
well like the title says I'm not sure what's the difference between these two terms, when i try to watch animes i want them to be as much as similar as the real story(the first one to be made/the original), and here's the problem, sometimes ''alternate retelling'' may be something similar to the real story, like Fullmetal Brotherhood and Fullmetal Alchemist which are very similar, and the term of brotherhood for Fullmetal Alchemist is ''alternate retelling''...Then found another anime Tetsujin 28-gō Gao! which has been used the same term(alternate retelling) but's got nothing to do with the original Giganto , i mean there's still a little boy with a gigantic robot, but it's till very very different, and this anime's also got some remakes which are more similar to the real story than the ''alternate retelling'', then another anime Ie Naki Ko Remiwhich is a ''remake'', has got nothing to do with Nobody's Boy Remi where in the remake one, the protagonist is a girl, while in the original one the protagonist is a boy.. i mean... really? so is this something you guys did wrong or .... something else? which one is more similar to the real story?
hope somebody's going to answer me Smile, i will wait forever
also hope i got the right thread, cause i already did it wrong one time
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I was looking and NISA has it, it's released

The AN page says it's shounen-ai, I was digging into that...and I couldn't find how it was shounen-ai

IS there BL in Brave10 (even just a little), or is the page wrong?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
not directly, but Rokuro is a little too loyal to Sanada and Kamanosuke has a hard on for Saizo
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
@#AnataWaBaka
If you're asking what I think you are (I didn't see a real clear question in regards to exactly what you want to know, for example, is it on these series in particular or series like this in general?), I could probably help on two of them.

First, I'll go with Tetsujin 28, the Gao! series seems to be a collection of mini 5 minute episodes that aren't meant to be serious in nature. Unfortunately, I've not read the original manga there, because it is old and not translated (I wouldn't even expect scanlations of it). If it's anything like other shonen I've read of the era, odds are there's no overall plot like a shonen today would have, older shonen tend to be all self contained stories and Astro Boy has a couple of longer arcs. I have seen the 2004 Tetsujin series and I enjoyed it very much (though I've not seen either the live action or anime movie that came out for that series). I am aware that America made some changes for Gigantor though, the 2004 series takes place in the 50s while America claimed Gigantor took place around the year 2000 to make it seem more futuristic and cooler (I mean, giant robots, right?) I tried to watch some of it, I really did, but it was just not that interesting to me (I might be ok with old shonen manga, but old shonen anime? No thank you). The 2004 series' dub was accurate to the original (and it had subs too of course) because it was clearly made in a different time. I do recommend the 2004 series, Gigantor itself is more for nostalgic purposes I find.

I can also help on Fullmetal Alchemist. The first series (2003 series) was made when the manga wasn't that far in (given the rate it came out as a monthly manga, there were maybe 5 volumes out when it premiered, and probably 4 when it went into production). So, it started with those four volumes, expanding the ever loving hell out of them and adding in brand new things (for example, some of the quickie few page gag manga became full on episodes in 2003, really really funny ones), but they still caught up about halfway through the series. From there, the plot actually picked up, because rather than mess around and flail about aimlessly with filler like some other Bleach or Naruto series did, they basically split off from the original manga completely (with the blessing and help of the author). But this wasn't necessarily a bad thing, the extended first half gave more time to some characters that let us know them more than the manga did and the second half was still a good series. It also got a movie, Conqueror of Shambala, which is a direct sequel and finishes up loose bits on the series' ending. Also has its own OVA series.

Then, fast-forward to 2009. The manga was entering its final arc so this time they made another anime, Brotherhood and had its ending coincide with the manga's ending (the author clearly helped them there), so they both ended in the same month. On the negative side though, it kind of expected you to have seen the original as it rather skimmed through things that happened in the first series up to the halfway point. It also has a movie, Sacred Star of Milos, that takes place during the series and its own separate OVA.

As for which is better? That's almost certainly a matter of personal preference. I think every survey I've seen seems to put them about neck and neck. Brotherhood clearly has better animation, but that's because the success of the 2003 series gave Bones ungodly amounts of money for everything from there on out. Don't think that watching one will necessarily spoil the other though, some characters might die in one but live in the other for example, you kind of need both and they are both worth your time. I went with 2003 anime and the manga (because I tend to be a manga person).
#AnataWaBaka

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:56 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

If you're asking what I think you are (I didn't see a real clear question in regards to exactly what you want to know, for example, is it on these series in particular or series like this in general?), I could probably help on two of them.

As for which is better? That's almost certainly a matter of personal preference. I think every survey I've seen seems to put them about neck and neck. Brotherhood clearly has better animation, but that's because the success of the 2003 series gave Bones ungodly amounts of money for everything from there on out. Don't think that watching one will necessarily spoil the other though, some characters might die in one but live in the other for example, you kind of need both and they are both worth your time. I went with 2003 anime and the manga (because I tend to be a manga person).

what's that ''subject'' thing when you post a reply? i though everyone could see it, i wrote the question in there, anyway what i wrote in it was, what's the difference between ''alternate retelling'' and ''remake'', but even so you still answered it in the final part, somehow, so by what you told me, it's the same thing if i watch the ''remake'' or the ''alternate retelling''? if you're still not sure what i mean about these two terms (alternate retelling and remake) when you search an anime in the encyclopedia, it tells you all information about that anime, if it's a sequel/remake/alternate retelling of another anime, and this is what i want to know, which is better? is it better to watch the alternate retelling or the remake one cause they can be somehow similar, cause i really don't want to watch the same anime twice but with a different story i want to watch it once, the one that is more closer to the first made story, and by first made story i mean, the one that the anime adapted from, it may be a manga or an anime, i want to know this cause i want to watch all the old and new popular anime, but with the best adaptation, cause i don't like when people copy the work of somebody and change everything for the best, an example may be Kimba the White Lion and the Lion King, the Lion king it's a lot better than kimba the white lion even because it's new, but i still like to watch kimba more, just because it's better adapted from the manga, so the lion king may be a remake or alternate retelling of Kimba the white lion, and here comes Brotherhood, brotherhood it's an alternate retelling of fullmetal alchemist, but it still follows the manga, so i would prefer to watch brotherhood, hmm... hope you understood me, like i said English is my second language so...
Touma

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
#AnataWaBaka wrote:
what's that ''subject'' thing when you post a reply? i though everyone could see it,

I had once thought the same, but unfortunately now I think that only the first post in each thread has the subject line shown.
It is a function of how the forum software is set up and is beyond the scope of this forum. If you want to know more you can ask about it in the Bugs & Technical Questions forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
If someone puts something in the Subject line, you can read it by hitting the Quote button. I often do that without actually replying just to see what Surrender Artist puts in there, as it's frequently entertaining. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 480 of 569