• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-01-21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
Satiety wrote:
Wow, seriously... that was hilarious. Smile I kind of see your point on how movies are lacking ideas these days. It's like comparing original Japanese Horror movies that have been remade into English version of the Horror movies (Major changes of storyline, change of facts, and such).

I also kind of see your point on how Japanese movies are lacking ideas these days. It's like comparing original Japanese manga that have been remade into Japanese movies of the manga (major changes of the storyline, change of facts, and such). Cool
joshuafer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
haha funny stuff, I had to share this with a friend who has 3 girsl, they love pokemon, so he knows a bit about it.
jared_thorin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:32 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
First thing I thought was "Hey, Shin Megami Tensei without the blasphemy."

No doing that to Pokemon would count as blasphemy.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Boy,I really love this one!! I'm not really happy with the idea of Hollywood turning anime into live-action,so this was really funny Anime hyper
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
ankoku22 wrote:
LOL! I loved the comic... I can imagine the Pokemon movie turning out like that. But who'd play Misty and Brock? I'll go with Miley Cyrus and Wilmer Valderrama. And Samuel L. Jackson as the voice of Meowth. You just can't make a movie without Samuel L. Jackson.

These were my thoughts too (I mean, who needs sleep?) Naturally the next questions was: where do you cast Samuel L. Jackson? ... excellent choice (*shudders at the LA Team Rocket musical*)
stuckinfresno wrote:
Well at least it was Shia, (even though he's too old for Ash)
Aki Ameko wrote:
I'd support him in such a role if he weren't too old. Anime hyper Someone younger is needed.

Let's not get off into the actor age topic, not when you consider the source material is a show about a kid who has been 10-13-15 (tops) for well over a decade now. Tuck Everlasting has already been done, so stop drinking the Koolaid.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
The anime I can most see becoming a movie would be Ghost In The Shell simply because it follows the "women in corsets" tradition like in Underworld, Van Helsing, Ultraviolent and Aeon Flux.
Clayra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I guess it would be fun for a live action Pokemon movie. However I don't think the saying "Catch them all before its too late" really gives off the mood of the series. And especially when Pikachu looks like he's going to bite your head off...
tealrose39

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
ugh! i can't stand when they make live action versions of comics, anime, manga, or otherwise. Sometimes they can be good, but mostly they are just terrible. I'm currently dreading the cowboy bebop which is going to be utterly ruined with keanu reeves.
Olliff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
They should put Verne Troyer in a Pokemon suit and have him play Pikachu. Real actors all the way. Who needs CG?

Funny strip as always. However, don't take it too seriously. I am actually cautiously optimistic about the new Cowboy Bebop movie. Reeves may not be the best actor for Spike, but it could be much worse. Could anyone imagine Nicholas Cage as Spike?
DevonNull

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:11 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Yeah, many anime fans will say "they were just reimagined for the anime audience" which is okay, but it's the same thing with the US movies. Like it or not, anime is a niche fanbase here, they obviously can't just market these movies to that fanbase and expect to earn much. Obviously when it's brought to another medium, there's going to be changes to make it more appealing to the audience that views that medium most.

While I whole-heartedly agree with this point, I would also stand by the view that most anime-to-live-action conversions don't even meet this basic criteria. Most of the time Hollywood makes a movie based on anime, they butcher it. An example of a good conversion was Transformers. I, for one, loved it. But that aside, it was commercially successful. Isn't that the point here? To make one that would appeal to mainstream audiences? The argument about who it's aimed at becomes moot if they miss both crowds. That's just shoddy workmanship. That is something worth complaining about - Speedracer the movie anyone? (not that I liked the anime series to begin with Wink )
artgeek707

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:07 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Damn! I totally had my money on Zac Efron.

You might not be too far off. The internet rumors say he want's to KIra from Deathnote (you have to admit there's a slight similarity in looks)
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
malik_chan wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Sarukah wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
I haven't seen any of the other Malcolm in the Middle kids lately, I noticed.

Haha, where did that come from? Shia Labeouf wasn't in Malcolm in the Middle if thats what you meant by "any of the other".

I imagine he's referring to the kid who played Reese. He bears a striking resemblance to him. I mistook Shia Labeouf for him as well the first time I saw him. It's definitely not him though. You can tell because because Malcolm in the Middle is actually half decent.

Um, what? They don't look alike at all... the guy who played Reese has a skinny neck. But in all seriousness, no, just no.

Wow. I had absolutely no idea. Now I really feel like an not-so-nice-person. My fault for not fact checking.

Just checked IMDB, you're all right. They just looked so similar, I just figured they were the same person. I'm really an idiot.

No...you're just a normal human being who mistook a person for another similar looking person. An easy mistake. After all, we can't all be expected to adhere to malik_chan's high standards of neck observation. Wink
BcDed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I think Samuel Jackson should play Giovanni. That role would be perfects for him. I would totally watch a badass version of pokemon. It may be blashphemy but I'd still love to see Meowth pistol whip somebody.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6