• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Nakaimo TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty pointless to discuss anything with Vata Raven. She's delusional, and she'll never understand how much of a hypocrite she's being even if you beat her over the head with it.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Toriko36 wrote:
It's been said so many times before, these are the titles that pay for the lucky few that are considered by many, to be the "better" titles. For every Kids on the slope, there's easily 7 or 8 of these Moe, incest, big breasts shows that pay and keep these companies afloat and protifable.

I think you are waaay off. Just look at all the past announcements throughout the year (and the past year) with unbiased eyes and you'll see it's not even close. Heck, that ratio of 7 or 8 true/dedicated ecchii titles for every 1 non-ecchi title isn't even close for the shows that come out in Japan (they are not the majority). So they couldn't even license that many if they wanted to!

In the winter season 2012, there was only one risque show: Highschool DxD. Just one out of something like 25 - 30 shows! The fujoshi shows (Brave 10, Natsume 4, etc.) outnumbered it.

Sailor S wrote:
jree78 wrote:
The question is how much money is Crunchyroll giving them are they giving them enough money to pay for most of the minimum payment for streaming and physical.

The answer can be inferred from the Sentai panel, and that answer is pretty much no, not yet.

Quote:
Williams: DVD is still king. DVD is where you make most of your money. Streaming is growing but it has not reached a point yet where it can support the costs of a title. You're still dependent on the sale of DVDs. Blu-ray is growing but DVD still outsells it. Highschool of the Dead was the first time I saw a Blu-ray outselling a DVD but now it's caught up. DVD is still king and the bread and butter of the industry.

That's the section from the panel, and that's from the Sentai rep, David Williams.

It makes sense that home video still brings in more money, but on this point, it seems like Bluray will be taking over soon, especially considering how cheap everything is now. I remember a couple years ago Funi mentioned how well Shigurui sold on BD. Anyways, I'm a little confused by his statement that the BD for Highschool of the Dead outsold the DVD version, which was over a year ago, but still is confident that "DVD is king" (or I wonder if he is comparing it back to streaming)
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
@configspace
He said DVD still outsells Blu-ray. Blu-ray is still in its beginning stages of its takeover for the US anime market, it seems. I believe he was calling HotD an anomaly because it sold more Blu-rays than DVDs when it first came out. Eventually the ratio of Blu-rays and DVDs sold evened out for it, so the Blu-rays didn't dominate in the long run. At least, not yet.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Want to sell more Blu-Rays? Convince American retailers to actually subdivide them by genre like DVDs! Every time I go into a physical retailer that carries Blu-Rays and they expect me to actually dig through their entire collection of Blu-Rays to find something I'm after, I completely lose interest and walk away.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, this thread got a tiny bit shorter...
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Want to sell more Blu-Rays? Convince American retailers to actually subdivide them by genre like DVDs! Every time I go into a physical retailer that carries Blu-Rays and they expect me to actually dig through their entire collection of Blu-Rays to find something I'm after, I completely lose interest and walk away.
I wouldn't be surprised if refusing to combine the two is actually slowing Blu-ray's ascent. I also wouldn't be surprised if the continuing segregation has something to do with BD cases being smaller than DVD cases.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
have you bros not watched sora otoshimono? because that is like 10 times worse than nakaimo. funimation also does many violent shows, I would not call them more 'morally ethical' than any other distributor.

DVDs do outsell blurays but I think that will change as bluray players are getting cheap (under 80$) and large LCD TVs can be had for like 400$ now which is ridiculous.

most women who watch anime are not really into BL, at least from the ones I know. They like FLCL or a romance like lacorda primo passo or Hanasakeru Seishonen which are both 'male' harem shows, lol. oh, and skip beat.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
He is actively trying to find her and does not want an incestual relationship at all. he is disgusted by that thought. People need to chill.

Just my take, but while it may be with a knowing, possibly uncomfortable, wink, this show is actually spending more time on mocking people with little sister fetishes (or the general concept of such a fetish) than on feeding those fetishes.

If you think little sister fetish is absurd and don't mind harem comedies than this show can be hilarious in the same way watching a train wreck is fascinating. If you have a little sister fetish, nakaimo would presumably be (I guess; I wouldn't know because I have no such delusions because I actually have a younger sister) enjoyable (for a different reason, because you're getting wooshed) or feels like a slap in the face (because you recognize the show is trolling you specifically).

If you belong to neither of these groups--that is, you don't care about or "get" little sister fetish for whatever reason, I can't see this show as being anything but boring (unless you're a big harem dramady fan). And lastly, if you are trying to take the show seriously and/or are offended at the little sister fetish premise to the point of actually getting worked up about it... there are more meaningful things to get worked up about.

Quote:
have you bros not watched sora otoshimono? because that is like 10 times worse than nakaimo.
I, for one, have not, and don't plan to. Is there implied/explicit incest in that show, or do you just mean in terms of fan service/sexism?
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:

Just my take, but while it may be with a knowing, possibly uncomfortable, wink, this show is actually spending more time on mocking people with little sister fetishes (or the general concept of such a fetish) than on feeding those fetishes.

I don't know about all that. The girls are almost never an actual sister in imoto anime, anyway. The show is an enormous tease about everything, though, including it's own premise. The whole "She may be the sister, but maybe not, but maybe so" is the fun of the show. Everyone watching is being messed with right along with the protagonist.

None of them may be his little sister in the end. Or all of them. I don't know, and I don't know that I'll care either way by the end. The whole things been a pretty hilarious blast either way.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
getchman wrote:
He is actively trying to find her and does not want an incestual relationship at all. he is disgusted by that thought. People need to chill.

If you think little sister fetish is absurd and don't mind harem comedies than this show can be hilarious in the same way watching a train wreck is fascinating. If you have a little sister fetish, nakaimo would presumably be (I guess; I wouldn't know because I have no such delusions because I actually have a younger sister) enjoyable (for a different reason, because you're getting wooshed) or feels like a slap in the face (because you recognize the show is trolling you specifically).

If you belong to neither of these groups--that is, you don't care about or "get" little sister fetish for whatever reason, I can't see this show as being anything but boring (unless you're a big harem dramady fan). And lastly, if you are trying to take the show seriously and/or are offended at the little sister fetish premise to the point of actually getting worked up about it... there are more meaningful things to get worked up about.

Quote:
have you bros not watched sora otoshimono? because that is like 10 times worse than nakaimo.
I, for one, have not, and don't plan to. Is there implied/explicit incest in that show, or do you just mean in terms of fan service/sexism?

No incest, just a metric ton of in your face perverted ecchi/fan-service comedy. its a giant tease as well. everytime you think they are about to show some tits, some sort of convenient censoring happens. IE: leaves, someones head, steam from the hot springs. A healthy dose of childhood friend tsundere action as well.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
Now I wonder why I like this show so much. I don't have a younger sister, I grew up with an overbearing niece who's actually older than me. I find large breasts repulsive and I don't care for tsundere girls.

But all the reasons VORTIA enjoys this show are the same as my reasons for liking it so much. Maybe it's also because I have no hangups about anything that has to do with some of the comedic elements in the show, so nothing about it bothers me or irks me in any way. It's all been fun so far with intriguing plot devices, some corny some really engaging, and even a cute reverse trap which is like frosting on the cake for me.

If episode 5 doesn't disappoint it'll earn an "Excellent" from me easily. And yes I'll buy it if it gets a special release edition (or regular it it doesn't).
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Now I wonder why I like this show so much. I don't have a younger sister, I grew up with an overbearing niece who's actually older than me. I find large breasts repulsive and I don't care for tsundere girls.

But all the reasons VORTIA enjoys this show are the same as my reasons for liking it so much. Maybe it's also because I have no hangups about anything that has to do with some of the comedic elements in the show, so nothing about it bothers me or irks me in any way. It's all been fun so far with intriguing plot devices, some corny some really engaging, and even a cute reverse trap which is like frosting on the cake for me.

If episode 5 doesn't disappoint it'll earn an "Excellent" from me easily. And yes I'll buy it if it gets a special release edition (or regular it it doesn't).

wait.. wha...
Quote:
Past
Crazy Fangirl

Shocked
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Past wrote:

wait.. wha...
Quote:
Past
Crazy Fangirl

Shocked

Welcome to anime fandom. You must be new here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6