• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 1.0's English Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Any word of a Blu-Ray release?

I hope they release Eva on Blu-Ray. I mean, if there releasing Blue Gender on Blu-Ray witch isn't even in high def in the first place then one would think It would be a nobrainer to release Eva on Blu-Ray. Hopefully they'll announce something soon.
youkai_ronin

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
*phew* Just focus on the positives, Alison Keith reprising her role as Misato and Spike Spencer reprising his role as Shinji....I'll just have to hear the rest of the voices as they come.

cautious optimism ftw Smile

P.S. Damn, no Tristan MacAvery as Gendo. He and Fuyutsuki were my two favorite characters of the series...it won't be the same without them. Crying or Very sad
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq wrote:
Wow, there are people who actually liked the original Eva dub cast? (Well, Allison was pretty good.) I thought they were atrocious. I was always under the impression that it was common opinion that they were atrocious. I guess I was wrong. That's got to be the most surprising detail about this for me. All I can say is I hope to someone else's god that Tiffany Grant doesn't play Asuka in pt. 2.0.

Weird. I'm a major hater of dubs, but Eva is one of the few I can stand, along with Bebop and Black Lagoon. of course, it kills any other Tiffany Grant role for me. I sat behind her at ACen's ADV panel, and as soon as she spoke, I knew it was her. That was a little weird...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I am also surprised to see that you hated Asuka's dub, Tiffany Grant was great as Asuka. It helps that Tiffany Grant is actually fluent in German, just like Asuka, which lent a bit more realism to her dub in the original series; I've heard the Japanese VA for Asuka had trouble with Asuka's German lines.

Agreed, I'm surprised too, she was so perfect cast as Asuka.

pajmo9 wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Any word of a Blu-Ray release?
I hope they release Eva on Blu-Ray. I mean, if there releasing Blue Gender on Blu-Ray witch isn't even in high def in the first place then one would think It would be a nobrainer to release Eva on Blu-Ray. Hopefully they'll announce something soon.

I know what you mean, the much more niche Shigurui also got a sweet Blu-ray release sitting on my shelf so I hope something as big as Eva gets one.
Ikitsugi

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
When is the day of the convention? I will be in NY in July so I NEED to know the day. Confused
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
If you guys wanna ask the ADR director any questions about the casting or whatnot, head on over to http://blog.funimation.com/evangelion/ and ask! Got until Monday at 11:59 p.m.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Yikes, Mike McFarland is the ADR director? That doesn't bode well. Most of my least favorite Funimation dubs are his disasters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Mike McFarland wrote a lot for Fullmetal. In the Evangelion movies and TV dubs, Touji had 3 dub voices (WTF?). Don't know what happened to the other two but Brett Weaver has stayed with ADV even as recently as Wallflower. Though he may have been approached, I wonder why he isn't reprising his role. Kaworu's TV dubber, Kyle Sturdivant, disappeared to wherever whileas his movie dubber, Aaroh Krohn (who also was Kaji) has shifted to doing Broadway work. IMHO, if I was Aaron, I would voice acting would be a lot cooler.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Mike McFarland wrote a lot for Fullmetal.

He was also the ADR director for that, and that's exactly my point. Terribly directed dub. Talking where there wasn't any to begin with, lines like "Smellric Brothers" and "Give mommy a hug, my Prince of Cool", and poor direction as far as where the voices went in their performances. It's probably why I felt the dub for FMA turned out so mediocre.

This is not a man that should be in charge of such a big title's English version.

Then again, it can't be much worse than the ADV version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yikes, Mike McFarland is the ADR director? That doesn't bode well. Most of my least favorite Funimation dubs are his disasters.

Really gotta question not only your taste but your level of sophistication in judgment when in the same breath you're championing the old EVA dub and calling Mike McFarland a hack.

That old EVA dub is nuance-free, rife with crazy overacting, turns drama into comedy and is generally Not Good. Especially in the later episodes when the script called for some measure of subtle emotion and the English cast decided to play every moment like they were screaming at the cheap seats. The show is supposed to be a screwed-up, dramatic, meta-flavored puzzlebox, not crappy small town improv comedy.

Meanwhile McFarland's dubs are overall pretty decent, and he did an amazing job on the original Fullmetal Alchemist series, capturing emotion with nary a whiff of community college theater arts stinking up the place.

I was frankly relieved when I heard they'd brought him on to direct this dub. And I was hoping they'd just recast everyone and start fresh, but I'll takes what I can gets. A new director is enough for me to hope for the best.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
Zac, you must've missed the part where I said I disliked the old Evangelion dub. In fact, there are very few ADV dubs that hold up well, which is why I said, "It can't be any worse than the ADV version." Aside from a few choice performances, the old Eva dub is very flat and unappealing.

I in turn question your taste when you champion the Fullmetal Alchemist dub and its hit-or-miss performances and poor scripting. I mean, really, whoever thought it was right to give certain characters different accents and voice styles every episode they appeared in isn't exactly at the top of the industry. McFarland couldn't even get a good performance out of solid vets like Scott McNeil. What sort of direction was going on in that studio?

His DBZ work was horrific, Case Closed's dub is all over the place, and the only real decent piece of work he has under his belt is the new One Piece dub. His voice acting isn't even that great.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
Hexon.Arq wrote:
Wow, there are people who actually liked the original Eva dub cast? (Well, Allison was pretty good.) I thought they were atrocious. I was always under the impression that it was common opinion that they were atrocious. I guess I was wrong. That's got to be the most surprising detail about this for me. All I can say is I hope to someone else's god that Tiffany Grant doesn't play Asuka in pt. 2.0.

There are people who definitely hate the original Eva dub but that is nowhere near a universally-held - or I'd say even majority - opinion. I loved the dub when I first heard it, and even though my opinion of it has downgraded a little over time I still regard it as at least the equal of - if not better than - the original. (What Zac calls "nuanced" in the original Japanese, I call "flat.")

Granted, some of the roles are easily replaceable; even I will admit that most of the secondary roles and bit parts weren't that impressive, and although I liked Amanda Winn Lee's Rei, I could see someone else pulling off that role equally well. Tiffany Grant and Allison Keith are indispensable to the English dub sounding right, though, and to a slightly lesser extent so is Spike Spencer. (He may not want to be recognized for this, but no male English VA does whiny roles better than he does.) Tristan MacAvery not reprising Gendo is a disappointment (his rendition of "that is why NERV exists" is one of my all-time favorite dub lines) but a manageable one.

And I really don't get the bashing on the FMA dub, either, especially given that it was widely-praised at the time the series was airing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Zac, you must've missed the part where I said I disliked the old Evangelion dub. In fact, there are very few ADV dubs that hold up well, which is why I said, "It can't be any worse than the ADV version." Aside from a few choice performances, the old Eva dub is very flat and unappealing.

You're right, I did, and I apologize. Although I still have to question your comment about "at least they brought back Spike Spencer" like that guy's performance as Shinji was A) good in the first place or B) would still be good now, 10+ years later. The guy's past 40 at this point. I have nothing against him and he's done plenty of fine work in the past, but when do we stop hiring these people to voice angsty teens? Maybe there's someone out there who'd be better at voicing Shinji?

It's not "his" role in the eyes of anyone except those who just love that 90's ADV dub to death.

Quote:

I in turn question your taste when you champion the Fullmetal Alchemist dub and its hit-or-miss performances and poor scripting. I mean, really, whoever thought it was right to give certain characters different accents and voice styles every episode they appeared in isn't exactly at the top of the industry. McFarland couldn't even get a good performance out of solid vets like Scott McNeil. What sort of direction was going on in that studio?

OK, well, clearly I haven't studied that dub as closely as you have and I did watch the show in Japanese and then saw chunks of it again in English and thought the dub was just fine.

Maybe I shouldn't have said "amazing", but I liked what I saw and thought most of the voices were pretty well done. I defer to you on this one, but the show isn't that old and most people regard it as an example of a good dub, so I'm going to just assume that I wasn't deaf and my perception of reality isn't totally wrong, and that it wasn't a bad dub.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm probably in the minority as far as my opinion of the FMA dub (I'm not under some delusion that everyone agrees with me about it), but a lot of McFarland's other works have also failed to impress me.

About Spike Spencer, I don't know, I do think that the Japanese voice is so much better (especially at those really intense screams in certain scenes), but something about his voice seems so comfortably familar, like an old catcher's mitt.

I'm actually rewatching NGE this past couple of weeks, when I can, and trying to compare, but like I said, few ADV dubs hold up these days.
Taekmkm

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
Throw DBZ out. Seriously, it's comparing a rookie to a professional's progress.

Accents? Compared to what, Japanese and "me no Japanese! Me...uh...dark!" As someone that literally hangs around these asians all life, it literally can't do some emotions well or non-existent.

Mcfarland did pretty well under the terrible conditions that the American anime industry puts in, especially for material made for television.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8