• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club: NieA_7.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Well, things are finally getting resolved. The roof Niea broke in Episode 1 is finally getting fixed, Mayu finally finds out what those notches on the wall mean, Kotomi is looking for a buyer for the bathhouse, and spoiler[Niea returns out of the blue]. While the cause of Niea's disappearance isn't explained, I found it interesting that the government doesn't recognize the existence of under 7 aliens. Perhaps it is a class invented by Niea to maintain her own freedom. But then again, don't the other aliens call her an under 7? I'm not sure.

The disappearence of the mothership was surreal, especially in comparison to the rest of the show. What does it mean for the aliens?

EvanUnisil wrote:
5. What do you think was the point of the episode?
Not everything is forever, make the most of what you have while you have it. Whether it's a friend (NieA), a place you love (the bathhouse), a beautiful monument (the mothership) or simply life itself, don't take it for granted as one night it might just disappear.

A great point, made even more meaningful by the fact that Mayu really takes Niea's company for granted until she leaves.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 12
EvanUnisil wrote:
Not everything is forever, make the most of what you have while you have it. Whether it's a friend (NieA), a place you love (the bathhouse), a beautiful monument (the mothership) or simply life itself, don't take it for granted as one night it might just disappear.
A very succinct and accurate summation if I do say so myself. I would also like to add that you correctly guessed why I accidentally said Mayu instead of Chie during the firefly scene in episode 10: during the mothership’s disappearance, there is a brief flashback of fireflies, Mayu and her father who is wearing the watch Mayu keeps. Recall, Chie's father said that the there used to be lots of fireflies, but that they're not around as much anymore. The mothership appears to turn into fireflies.

During the closing voice over, Mayu says that after the mothership's disappearance, something seemed different, but nothing had really changed and that this is how the summer ended.

The summer doesn't quite mean as much when you're an adult. You probably get a vacation, but not a long one like kids do. The summer, to a child, means freedom—from school, from being cooped-up in the house, etc.; and for an adult, it can be a reminder of that freedom we use to have, but have since lost.

Jeez, I spent forever editing this post and I'm still not happy with it!
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

The final episode kinda felt like the first. Everyone is getting on with their lives after the events of last episode. Chiaki talks about wanting change and exitement, while everyone else is enjoyong what they have roght now. This is a good example of the "old vs. new" theme that others were talking about, with the youth wanting exitement and the older people just wanting what they already have. I also noticed that Niea is now helping with finding dinner, altough all she found was fail. It was nice to see the bathhouse break even for once, but then Niea puts another hole in the roof. The changing of the seasons seems to signal the end of the story.

Not a whole lot to say about this episode. I was looking for some answers about Niea's disappearance and the mothership but none came. I guess that shows Enohana's attitude: they enjoy what they have and don't worry about what's new or what was lost.

Saving my final thoughts for later. Going to digest for a bit.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 13
Imperialkat wrote:
The final episode kinda felt like the first.
In one sense, you’re right; some stuff happened, but life continues on like always. But, in another sense…

Before the opening, Niea helps a fellow alien realize that the class system is merely an illusion and that what’s important is knowing the truth about yourself. A commercial appears with that alien and Chie’s father notes that the alien no longer seems disillusioned.

Chiaki’s melancholy over the mothership’s disappearance—though, you get the sense that she’ll be alright. Mayu comments that no one cared or noticed when Niea or the mothership disappeared. Chiaki thinks everything is boring and wants real change. Mayu tells her that the scenery has changed since it’s now Autumn then hands her a leaf that she thought was pretty. Chiaki thinks it looks just like any other leaf and says it’s just like Mayu to keep something like that.

Continuing with her “mourning” Chiaki says, “I can’t believe it’s really disappeared. Since I can remember, everyone just assumed it would always be there. But, it vanished from this world all too soon.”

Mayu, talking about everyone at the bathhouse, says “we all decided that we just have to enjoy our time here. The end of summer…I just felt there was this empty space in my life. What were supposed to be the happiest days of my life were slipping away.” My quote-fest isn’t done yet. Mayu: “I don’t mind if it slows down sometimes, I don’t always want to be in a rush” to which Chiaki thinks that sounds like a good way of life.

Throughout the final episode, we have a good mix of the slow, conversation-based scenes that the series had abruptly entered into at the halfway point and the wacky, over-the-top humor from the first half of the series. Those wacky moments also included things involving the humans of the show without any alien interaction—it’s as if the aliens have finally altered the humans to make them less…”serious.”
Imperialkat wrote:
I also noticed that Niea is now helping with finding dinner.
She also had a brief moment of reflection…and though it was brief, it’s still not something you would have seen her do in the first half of the show. We didn’t get to see any of the other aliens to judge their behavior, but Niea seems to have matured, just a smidgen, since the start of the show. Maybe the humans' seriousness has rubbed off on her a little as well.

On the other hand, she did blow up the roof again. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6