• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! DMCA MSRP WTF

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:55 am Reply with quote
Wow, no answer at all. Can't say I'm surprised, but really I thought PetrifiedJello would at least attempt making up another source to back up his solution to the comic industry. Pity. Guess comic artists must stay with the publishers. Our messiah has failed us.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:07 am Reply with quote
The problem is that people who support online sales like to portray pirates not as people who are in it for the free entertainment, but people who refuse to support books or will gladly convert to paying customers if they lower the price by selling it as a digital for a much smaller price. While some might, most will simply go back to pirating instead of paying the 2-3 bucks per volume.

I should also point out that so far no one outside of Hetalia has managed to convert an online comic to large sucess. Penny-Arcade had a failed video game series that was cancelled,.CAD's "animated series" is badly drawn flash. that no one bought,

You and Artefact are not talking about something like I-Tunes, you guys are talking about ditching the publishers which isn't going to work.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Because its not settled law, so saying either that it is so or saying that it isn't so would both be misleading.

Oh good grief. agila61, it is against the law until a court proves otherwise. You make it sound like all these laws must first be proven in court before they take affect. That's just ridiculous.
PS: You do know video players don't cache the streaming video, right? Otherwise, we wouldn't need software to convert the stream to the file.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Wow, no answer at all. Can't say I'm surprised, but really I thought PetrifiedJello would at least attempt making up another source to back up his solution to the comic industry.

The responsibility to run a business does not fall upon the consumer. Until they learn this, let them eat ramen for all I care.

Quote:
Our messiah has failed us.

When artists like you do not offer us a product we want, it is you who have failed us.
MisterH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When Linebarrels of Iron was still airing, I saw fansubs of it crop up, even though it was available on Crunchyroll for everyone TWO HOURS after broadcast. Either some people are really impatient, or stupid.

Some people are neither.
Crunchyroll rips as well as ordinary fansub groups make 720p available for free only a little later than with Crunchyroll premium. Waiting a week to watch a lower quality version is stupid. If there's more than one free choice, beggars can be choosers.

Last edited by MisterH on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Quote:
You can always, uh, be a snitch

Unfortunately answerman , I've done that multiple times and so far , those stereaming sites are still there.

Yes. FIrst, different companies have different levels of ability to send out DCMA notices. Second, the important thing is not the link of the site that hosts the video, but the link to the video on the streaming host, combined with the title and episode.

Quote:
I've also flagged multiple ripped videos that are hosted via youtube, veoh, myspace,etc and their still there.

Those are the links to send to the rights owners. CC to the site's DCMA email address, but send the links on the streaming sites with series title and episode to the right owners.

Often the same link will be used by five or ten different leach streaming sites, so when those links are followed up, lots of sites have holes show up in their catalog of streams.

Quote:
Now on those streaming sites their using their own streaming players.

They do that especially when they get a MySpace hosted stream, because MySpace is happy to stream raw video without even requiring that their own player is used. Report to the other sites that someone is leeching a stream and it goes away without even waiting for the rights owner - that is money they are spending with no streaming ad revenue to cover it.

Unfortunately that's how they arent able to get their illegal content shut down. also they could have made these sites accountable for their content but then their gonna pull that constitution thing of users contents. Not to mentioned all the illegal sites i have seeen always have disclaimers and protected by some law clinton passed when he was in office. If i was those Co i'd find those host sites like youtube and veoh accountable. they were able to do that to divx's stage 6 video site years ago and got it shut down so why now do the same for them???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The problem is that people who support online sales like to portray pirates not as people who are in it for the free entertainment, but people who refuse to support books or will gladly convert to paying customers if they lower the price by selling it as a digital for a much smaller price. While some might, most will simply go back to pirating instead of paying the 2-3 bucks per volume.

Some of us don't exactly want to paint everyone as criminals...yet. All you have to do is look at what the RIAA has done and what your not supposed to do.

Even Lars Ulrich has stated that he somewhat regrets banning 300,000 people from Napster. He was morally right, but in the end, he painted a huge fanbase as crooks and alienated them and tainted Metallica's name and his own name as well.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

littlegreenwolf wrote:
Wow, no answer at all. Can't say I'm surprised, but really I thought PetrifiedJello would at least attempt making up another source to back up his solution to the comic industry.

The responsibility to run a business does not fall upon the consumer. Until they learn this, let them eat ramen for all I care.

Quote:
Our messiah has failed us.

When artists like you do not offer us a product we want, it is you who have failed us.

You keep contradicting yourself here. First you're all about how comic artist need to take the distribution of their works into their own hand, and then fault them when they don't make a big enough name on the net for themselves because it's all up to them and their own publicity? Oh yeah, great understanding on how this business works here.

So since you're completely skirting around your theory that all comic artists need to do is go solo, take out the publishers, and post online, I'm only to assume you've found fault in this idea of yours and are pretending it never happened.

OK, I can do that too. Pretending PetrifiedJello never claimed to know the cure for the comic industry. PetrifiedJello knows nothing on this topic.

Got it now.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
You keep contradicting yourself here.

No, I haven't. You quipped "But we failed when we tried!" but completely disregard what it takes to become successful.

Seriously, think of any movie, song, book, TV show, and other form of entertainment. At what point do we define "successful"?

Your answer: Money, and nothing else.

My answer: publicity, which leads to your answer.

Putting manga online at an obscure site no one knows about isn't publicity. Putting it on a site that already exists and has a huge customer base is publicity.

From that, comes our willingness to support the artist should such offerings be available we're interested in. Here's a tip: it might take something more than just a book.

Quote:
So since you're completely skirting around your theory that all comic artists need to do is go solo, take out the publishers, and post online, I'm only to assume you've found fault in this idea of yours and are pretending it never happened.

Way to, once again, completely fail to comprehend what I said.

Quote:
OK, I can do that too. Pretending PetrifiedJello never claimed to know the cure for the comic industry.

Sure, criticize my attempts at changing the comic industry. Fine, littlegreenwolf, leave things be. Let's all sit back and see how things work themselves out.

Failure to see how piracy can benefit everyone will ensure these companies trying to protect IP will eventually fail.

Thank goodness piracy was around because without it, most of you wouldn't have your precious iPhone you're begging the very industry to put their wares on.

Figure out how piracy lead to the iPhone. Then, and only then, will you understand.

I'll even sweeten the pie for you. If you can successfully demonstrate how piracy lead to the iPhone, I will buy you $50 of manga of your choice and ship it to you.

Deal?
RJay_64

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I would have never discovered Minami-ke if there wasn't a fansub version that people at my college showed me.

Before I saw Minami-ke, I wasn't into anime and thought most anime was a waste of time to be honest.

Now I find myself looking for shows that resemble this one.

The problem with only watching shows that have been released in America....

What exactly am I missing if I am limited to what companies make available in America? I wouldn't be watching anime at all!!! From Minami-ke, I've slowly gotten into K-On!! and Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu...but if I had never discovered Minami-ke in the first place, I probably wouldn't have been encouraged to look at those other 2.

I don't understand why they can't just offer an official legal, downloadable English sub version for sale online.

I don't even need English dubs! That would just ruin it for me. I'm already used to reading the English at the bottom anyway. All I want are official subs at the bottom of the screen.

I would love to buy some legal copies of Minami-ke. If a DVD collection of all the episodes of Minami-ke was available at my local Best Buy right now, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $40 or $50 for it.

In fact, it frustrates me to no end that nobody seems to want to license this show, as I feel the first season is the best in its genre

(although since my knowledge of anime is limited...I'm not sure what I am comparing this to lolol)

It's the best to me anyway.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Because its not settled law, so saying either that it is so or saying that it isn't so would both be misleading.

Oh good grief. agila61, it is against the law until a court proves otherwise. You make it sound like all these laws must first be proven in court before they take affect. That's just ridiculous.

On your say so, over the say so of a copyright attorney who says is not necessarily the case?

Why, exactly, is you opinion regarding the interpretation of the law superior to that of a professional attorney who specializes in that area of the law? You keep repeating your legal opinion without addressing the question of why your legal opinion should have standing.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

The thing is, when the pirates are "free and easy" entertainment, the numbers will include those who primarily want free, and those who primarily want easy.

Remember that what Apple did with songs on iTunes was make it paid, but for a substantial portion of the potential market not very expensive, and easier than getting bootlegs.

There seem to be three elements involved in this:
  • A working price point
  • An effective user interface
  • Wide participation by rights holders
The industry for the most part seems to still be feeling its way with respect to all three.
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Unfortunately that's how they arent able to get their illegal content shut down.

I do not know who "they" and "their" is here.

Quote:
also they could have made these sites accountable for their content but then their gonna pull that constitution thing of users contents.

If you are talking about Veoh, Megavideo, and MySpace, the thing about "user uploaded content" only protects them from liability if they remove the content when they are made aware of it by the rights owner. So they do.

Really, they do. When I was doing the first dry run through my study in Fall 2009, I would send in over 1,500 harvested from five sites in a week to one particular rights owner and over 1,000 would be taken down in under a week. One particular site took down 2,500 links over the space of three weeks so quickly that I can only assume they took them down in advance of getting a C&D from the rights owners.

Quote:
Not to mentioned all the illegal sites i have seeen always have disclaimers and protected by some law clinton passed when he was in office. If i was those Co i'd find those host sites like youtube and veoh accountable. they were able to do that to divx's stage 6 video site years ago and got it shut down so why now do the same for them???
Shutting down the anime leech streaming sites doesn't do anything - the videos are still uploaded and available, and a replacement can be put up in literally less than a day if they made backups of their pages.

But just one person working at it one day a week opened up hundreds of holes at a time in each of the sites, when the rights owners were willing to take the links and send out the C&D notices. Of course, that is partly due to having an IP protection department that has already set down and had meetings with the legal representatives of the main sites.

Except for MySpace, which needs hits to minimize the penalties they pay on their exclusive search contract with google, the big free video streaming sites have every incentive to take down the bootlegs uploaded by the owners and volunteers for the leech streaming sites ... where bootlegs uploaded by actual users of the big video streaming sites generate ad revenues for them, the leech streaming sites generate costs for the hosts but keep the ad revenues to themselves.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Why, exactly, is you opinion regarding the interpretation of the law superior to that of a professional attorney who specializes in that area of the law?

It's not superior, agila61. It's how it is written. To put it in an analogy:
The speed limit is 55 mph. That's law. What you're debating, and seemingly misinterpreting, is that this limit isn't necessarily so.

I'm quite sure a court will apply extenuating circumstances to an individual's case, but for the rest of us, we're going 55 mph regardless of the outcome of that case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6