• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Sailor Moon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:

Are you sure about this? I remember watching dubbed Sailormoon episodes on station KTBH(San Francisco) in June 1993. That was the first run of Sailormoon in the US.

The show debuted nationally in the US and Canada in fall 1995. I remember this very distinctly, as the premiere coincided with my return to college and a bunch of anime club dorks all got up early to watch it together. We were mystified - it would take several weeks worth of episodes for the show's appeal to become evident.

I watched my very first Sailor Moon episode on Labor Day of 1993. IIRC, it was the first episode of the R season. I remember this distinctly as it was a school holiday, and as I watched it I kept thinking "how patriotic" when seeing her uniform Laughing

This was in the Dallas market. Perhaps others got it later.
lanvin909

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think its an overstatement to call Sailor Moon a butch, 10-year old Nurse Angel Ririka is alot tougher than Sailor Moon. Especially the anime-Sailor Moon; I'll regard her as weak, she cant fight unless she have the support of a half school class with friends, plus boyfriend, and as a girl myself, Im disappointed that the genre doesnt contain stronger, and alot more independent heroinnes.

Sailor Moon? Not at all, unless you live by the rule that you only can have one and only one true love; whom you wait to get married to, have a kid, set down and become his housewife?

and her relationship with Tuxedo mask is so plain and boring, a perfect couple that's destined to be since ancinent times can never develop further. Mad
Myaow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
lanvin909 wrote:
I think its an overstatement to call Sailor Moon a butch, 10-year old Nurse Angel Ririka is alot tougher than Sailor Moon. Especially the anime-Sailor Moon; I'll regard her as weak, she can't fight unless she have the support of a half school class with friends, plus boyfriend, and as a girl myself, Im disappointed that the genre doesnt contain stronger, and alot more independent heroinnes...

Hmm, I have to say I disagree? I'm not very eloquent today, so I'll quote from this blog I like:

Quote:
Sailor Moon is stone cold hardcore badass. She has saved the world at least seven times, given her life for it twice, saved the universe once and done amazing shit like running through fire and then continuing to run with severe burns, WALKING THROUGH A GIANT STAIRCASE OF THORNS untransformed,barefoot and in a school uniform to rescue her boyfriend and jumping off an impossible height without hesitating to save her daughter, trusting she’d figure out what to do on the way down. And I’m really only skimming the surface there…don’t screw with Usagi, mmkay.

But yeah, we've seen that Sailor Moon, in all adaptations, is capable of saving the whole world even when all her friends and partners have been defeated or even killed. That's pretty hardcore, there.

And I think her relationship with Tuxedo Mask is pretty well-done (especially considering that the series' director for the second half, Utena's Kunihiko Ikuhara, has gone on record saying that he hated Tuxedo Mask, saw him as competition and kept trying to kill him and purposely sabotage his character. Ikuhara is... like that, sometimes. ^^; ) There are scenes early in the series where Sailor Moon would blatantly refuse to let herself just sit around and be protected by Tuxedo Mask, and we see throughout the series that it's always Sailor Moon rescuing him, not the other way around. And when Tuxedo Mask is being affectionate, it's not the condescending, smug sort of interplay we see in, say, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch or Shugo Chara; TM makes it clear how much he admires and looks up to Sailor Moon.

Actually, Mr. Thompson drew a comparison to the heroine of Shugo Chara while praising Sailor Moon, and I think they're worth examining more. After all, in the climax of Shugo Chara the main character, Amu, says that spoiler[she can't "fight like a boy" because she can't be "strong like a boy", and so when faced with her brainwashed boyfriend she resolves things by giving him a magical hug.] Sailor Moon, spoiler[when Tuxedo Mask is evil and brainwashed, STABS HIM IN THE CHEST WITH A GIANT SWORD.] She doesn't let herself be held back by ideas of what boys or girls can or can't do. I'd definitely call her a "strong, independent heroine".

And really? Magical girl anime is full of badasses and fierce, awesome, adorable, self-possessed heroines, from Sally to Sailor Moon to Sugar Sugar Rune.

And here are some more links from above-quoted blog, because Sailor Moon is really awesome.

(edited to add a source!)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:

And here are some more links from above-quoted blog, because Sailor Moon is really awesome.

(edited to add a source!)

Hahahaha, it's great that she used my quote for her rant. But I wonder if she knew what we were talking about......... Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6