• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Licenses Pretty Cure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
That's not correct. Shounen Jump's demographic is huge, ranging from children all the way to young adults. True, in comparison to its brutal SJ contemporaries, One Piece appears fairly tame, but it only appears like child's fare because the artwork is unconventionally cartoonish. Despite the drawing style, it still carries mature themes (violence, alcohol, some sexual situations). This is why One Piece has been an extremely dangerous property to bring the the United States; there's a serious appeal problem, and 4Kids recgnized this. It's a pity their attempt was poor.

Hmm, I remember watching One Piece in Japan. If I recall correctly they aired it on a Saterday morning along with a bunch of other shows aimed at children like Power Rangers. Japan's a completely different culture and they allow stuff like that to be shown to children. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be watching it, I don't care. I myself watch Cardcaptor Sakura, Naruto, and even Pokemon once in a while. They're all aimed at children.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:53 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:
That's not correct. Shounen Jump's demographic is huge, ranging from children all the way to young adults. True, in comparison to its brutal SJ contemporaries, One Piece appears fairly tame, but it only appears like child's fare because the artwork is unconventionally cartoonish. Despite the drawing style, it still carries mature themes (violence, alcohol, some sexual situations). This is why One Piece has been an extremely dangerous property to bring the the United States; there's a serious appeal problem, and 4Kids recgnized this. It's a pity their attempt was poor.

Hmm, I remember watching One Piece in Japan. If I recall correctly they aired it on a Saterday morning along with a bunch of other shows aimed at children like Power Rangers. Japan's a completely different culture and they allow stuff like that to be shown to children. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be watching it, I don't care. I myself watch Cardcaptor Sakura, Naruto, and even Pokemon once in a while. They're all aimed at children.

One Piece, like a lot of shows of it's ilk, air in the afternoons.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Sunday mornings are the more child-oriented blocks, as well as having a "magical theme". Notables include Konjiki no Gash Bell and Ojamajo DoReMi.
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Sunday mornings are the more child-oriented blocks, as well as having a "magical theme". Notables include Konjiki no Gash Bell and Ojamajo DoReMi.

What about Saturday mornings, the air time of Mermaid Melody Pichipichi Pitch, Wagamama Fairy Mirumo do Pon!, and Fushigiboshi no Futago Hime?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Jkid"]Ok I didn't expect 4kids to license Pretty Cure. I heard of the show in some anime blog circles. But doesn't 4Kids has enough programs to fill every Saturday of FoxBox? The best thing to do if you're really concern about it is to contact 4Kids and not watch the show.[/quote]

It's probably on the the reasons why the stopped doing "Mew Mew Power". They're showing 2 Magical Doremis and 2 Winx Clubs right now so they 2 more spots to fill anyway.

Hika Yagami
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Al Kahn, if you can hear me, please put this somewhere, anywhere other than your little Fox thing. Miguzi, ABC Family, KidsWB, anywhere.

Sincerely,
Your Fangirl.
Jkid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
Al Kahn, if you can hear me, please put this somewhere, anywhere other than your little Fox thing. Miguzi, ABC Family, KidsWB, anywhere.

Sincerely,
Your Fangirl.

We can only hope man. We can only hope.
Sally60

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
If you're displeased you can always drop by the fansubbers. They've done the entire S1 of Pretty Cure. Which is what this broadcasting station has acquired.

Overall quality is probably one of the best around with lots of supplementery materials provided to give a more accurate translation even for the obscure cultural references.

Perhaps the pro-industry US people can avoid it though because of their opinions on licencing.

Priestess_Sally
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Or import the R2. Rolling Eyes
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Or import the R2. Rolling Eyes
Expect not everyone knows Japanese. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't seem like a hard show to follow, even if you don't know the language. Rolling Eyes
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It doesn't seem like a hard show to follow, even if you don't know the language. Rolling Eyes

Yes, but after you think about it, it's ridiculous to expect someone to spend comparativley unreasonable ammounts of money for an untranslated show in an area of the world that the release isn't made for. If you import R2s, generally it's because you're a gignatic diehard fan dork-like person, but realistically, not everyone can afford to do that.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:16 pm Reply with quote
In addition, you would need a Region 2 DVD player which would cost even more.

And, believe it or not, most people want to be able to understand what characters are saying and what is going on.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

As long as they don't use Veronica Taylor for the main voice, or anyone else who sounds like her, I'll be interested in seeing the end product. Sorry Ms. Taylor but One Piece killed it for me, unless you can stop sounding like you're a heavy smoker with throat cancer.

Only problem with that is that Veronica Taylor only played as young Sanji. Luffy is played by Erica Schroeder, NOT Veronica Taylor.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:14 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
In addition, you would need a Region 2 DVD player which would cost even more.

The region-free DVD player that I bought cost me $20 (less then most DVDs in Japan). It's an off brand but other then that it works perfectly fine with reasonable quality.

I buy R2s of Galaxy Angel and Nurse Witch Komugi, but as Steven said, it's because I'm a "gignatic diehard fan dork-like person" of the shows. I also like the extra goodies they pack in with the DVDs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9