• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What? Pikachu Sounds Like a Prostitute, Lynch Pokemon USA!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

Yes... they're quite capable of doing it.

Anyone is capable of hiring the right people for the right job and putting effort into something, 4kids however has never cared.

I never expect them too, all they care about is how many Pikachus they sell and how to make money, something they've become ruthlessly effectient at.

I am just glad 4kids has the smidgeon of wisdom enough to not pick up actually good titles like Paranioa Agent and render something like that unwatchable. When they start getting into those is when I'll care.

Until then they can take a defication on super marketabl kids shows like One Peice and Pokemon with only a sigh from me.

fawhoooosh!
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:

I never expect them too, all they care about is how many Pikachus they sell and how to make money, something they've become ruthlessly effectient at.
But isn't Nintendo the ones who sell the Pokemon merchandise? I didn't think 4Kids ever had anything to do with the Pokemon merchandise expect for Pokemon DVDs and the TCG. What I really want to know right now is WHY didn't Tempest watch the Pokemon special with the new VAs before writing that editorial? Don't most people who live in the U.S. have easy access to the WB? Even if you couldn't watch the episode on TV itself, there is a certain site I can't link to because of site rules out there that has plenty enough clips of the episode up to watch that's easy to find if you just do one little search. I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but was it really that hard to NOT be able to watch even five minutes of it before writing the editorial? I myself only watched the first ten minutes of the special and I already don't think the new VAs are as bad as everybody else makes them out to be. I just don't see what's out there that could prevent anyone from watching it if they were going to write an editorial about it unless they either lived in a foreign country that wasn't showing it or if they have a slow Internet connection.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
Anyone is capable of hiring the right people for the right job and putting effort into something, 4kids however has never cared.

The Pokemon movies have had really good dubs. Original music (the sixth movie actually got the vocalist for the Japanese version of the ending theme to sing a duet with an English vocalist of the English version of the song - which wasn't even entirely English, but had Japanese and English segments), a good sense of voice direction, for the most part decent scripts (even though there are a few mistranslations)... The only thing that the Miramax-distributed ones are really missing are a Japanese track and widescreen options (neither of which would surprise me to be Nintendo's doing).

Though in a way it feels like kind of a tease. The sixth movie was released when uncut DVDs had been announced and One Piece was projected to retain the "We're!" theme song and have the absolute minimal edits. Wait, it probably is a tease. Bastards.

Quote:
Until then they can take a defication on super marketabl kids shows like One Peice and Pokemon with only a sigh from me.

Ignorance is truly bliss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6