• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Trips to the Anime Underworld

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
Man I don't think I can add anything to this list as if I did see any show that had to do with taking trips to the underworld I probably wouldn't remember if I did see one.

Well, it looks like Monster and Higurashi wins the poll for the most wanted rescue. I hate it when you only can make one choice.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
An uncut, hybrid Cyborg 009 by Discotek would be nice.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
An uncut, hybrid Cyborg 009 by Discotek would be nice.

I second this. Cyborg 009 was pretty GENESIS OF NEXT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
I voted for Hajime no Ippo, although City Hunter was VERY tempting.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope that Monster would be rescued, it deserves to be.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I hope that Monster would be rescued, it deserves to be.

I second that. Considering the release we got. I really couldn't understand why the series didn't sell the first time. I know it was because of VIZ's choice in release. Made in Japan I think, did consider releasing it. So now the question is who will be willing to re-release this title in way fans want. I mean the series is 74 episodes. I really wanted to see this series from beginning to end after reading the book. It's definitely worth watching and owning.

*On a separate note I wish that they had did the same for 20th Century Boys. I think that would have worked better visually than the live-action.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:28 pm Reply with quote
1thought wrote:

2. Hajime No Ippo (Fighting Spirit) a sports show that could really break out sports anime but all copies disappeared or sold as soon as Geneon went under.

Too bad Americans would prefer to watch sports instead of watching shows especially animated ones centered around sports and Geneon producing such an awful sounding dub.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:10 am Reply with quote
1thought wrote:
I'm hoping in Nozomi/Rightstuf since they got other old ADV stuff.

Or Discotek will give this another chance it's got a English Dub too so it's got more selling potential.

Either company would have my support.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:50 am Reply with quote
I voted for Kimagure Orange Road since it's an anime I have always wanted to own but I never saw the DVDs in Ottawa even at our local bricks-and-mortar anime specialty store, Anime Stop. I do own all 18 volumes of the manga in French, though.

Another anime I would love to see license-rescued would be Strawberry Marshmallow. I have all 3 volumes of the TV series, but a license rescue might make it a little more likely that all five OVA episodes (split between two different OVA series) could finally be licensed.

And that segues into one of my favourite anime Underworlds. spoiler[In a segment in the 2nd Strawberry Marshmallow OVA series (based on a chapter in volume 6 of the manga, which is after the point Tokyopop stopped publishing it, though I have it in French), Miu "dies" after trying a backflip from a standing position, meets Noguchi (played my Matsuri) who takes her to Enma (played by Nobue), who sends Miu to Hell to be tortured by a devil (played by Chika) who... uhh... makes Miu do a prop comedy routine. Because Chika isn't a particularly effective devil.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CBongo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
I'd add The World God Only Knows to The List, or is it limited to shows with a single Hell? The struggle between the kindler, gentler New Hell vs. Old Hell was a key motivator in the Goddess arc.

As for the poll, I put in for Kamichu!, which honestly is the one title on the list that I would almost certainly purchase. Higurashi would be my second choice, especially if Kai were included in the deal... Also, a license rescue can sometimes be an opportunity to redo a dub, and Higurashi's was one of the most painful I've heard.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
Kamichu! would also be on my list. It's in the category of "have it but would love to own it on Blu-Ray", although, since it's an Aniplex title, I have a feeling, if it were to get a re-release, it would be through Aniplex themselves so it wouldn't be cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:52 am Reply with quote
I voted Boys Over Flowers. I've wanted to own that one for quite some time now, but trying to get all the DVDs is simply an undoable task.

Nichijou and Gosick obviously need to be license rescued for the US market, but since I already have the Australian releases I didn't vote for either of those.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
if i pick an anime for rescue it would be rave master.

but rescue i'm talking about either continue anime series or going restart-reboot the anime.

besides cause anime is still INCOMPLETE to watch yet something left hanging to point yet had crossover with fairy tail anime yet rave anime still INCOMPLETE?!

a total upset to those really give more reason i do NOT watch fairy tail til they re-complete rave master anime then might if watch fairy tail.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
SamuraiNinjaDragon wrote:
Um why is InuYasha listed in the "anime licenses that need rescuing" poll? I am pretty sure InuYasha is doing fine with VIZMedia for both animes and the manga.

I think people are just sticking the first thing that comes to mind on there. I noticed Haruhi on there, despite Funimation rescuing it. For some of the shows mentioned, I would guess that that people took the lack of a rerelease so far as an indication that the show wasn't rescued, and they didn't bother to do a little bit of digging, which would have confirmed that such wasn't the case.

Inuyasha or High School of the Dead make zero sense, though. Both are readily available from the original licensing companies and at various retailers. I don't know how one rescues a show that isn't even available to rescue. Actually, seeing Index included on there for some reason makes me wonder if people were mistaking the poll or one about what shows they would like to see get more episodes. Though, Inuyasha still doesn't fit since it is completely finished.

For the actually available titles in the poll, I'd probably go with either Monster or Evangelion. I might give the edge to Monster simply because I don't have anything that was released for that show but I do have the platinum singles for Evangelion. I'd put both of those above Higurashi since Funi already tried it and it didn't work out. I suppose the low sales Viz had for Monster don't make it much more likely, though. Eva could work, but from what it sounds like, the licensing fee would be so high that nobody wants it. I figure if it was at all reasonably priced, Sentai would have renewed its old ADV license or Funimation would have gotten it to complement the movies. The fact that neither has it is telling.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Maybe also Magic Knight Rayearth, if Media Blasters no longer has the license?

Discotek actually announced it for a blu ray release last year Smile
You're right, they did. I forgot that announcement. Thanks for the refresher. ^^

Okay, so now my list is CLAMP School Detectives and Glass Mask. However, as stated, I only say Glass Mask as I want someone to finally release the second half of the series, and it seems like Sentai won't be doing so. XP
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7