• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Manga Banned Around the Globe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nosehair

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
every now and then there are parents who will blame anything they can for their bad parenting, be it music, tv, videogames comic books. it's just the same old scapegoat " this media made my children kill themselves/harm themselves. its not the media, its the parent. whether or not they read a voilent book or plpayed a violent game, they still would have ended up making the wrong choices. this stuff is accepted way too easy, it would be a miracle if during the court hearing to ban a certain media, the judge looked at the parents and told them "be better parents" nobody ever blames themselves for mistakes they clearly made and some manga artists lively hood is at stake because of it. unfortunately i dont think there will ever come a day when a child kills themself who was also a fan of a violent media, and when the parents try to blame it everybody just looks at them like they are jokes.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I really don't feel specialized enough in religious studies to say much beyond that

I don't think one needs to be. I've even read articles about the ban and they were all pretty clear that Allah is the Arabic word for God. They didn't suggest Allah is Muslim-exclusive deity since even Arabic-speaking Christians will refer to God as 'Allah'

octopodpie wrote:
If there is a better way to word the sentence that takes all of that into account, I'm all ears.

Yeah, you could say "Allah is the Arabic term to refer to God of the Abrahamic faiths and is commonly associated with the Islamic faith." Or something along those lines.

{Edit: There is no need to be unnecessarily rude or insulting when responding to a user. Staff member or otherwise. I suggest in the future you leave out the insults and rudeness from your posts or they will face similar editing or simple deletion. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}

Last edited by TopGunman on Sun May 03, 2015 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Night fox

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:03 am Reply with quote
Concerning the current survey:

I can't help but wonder why the english titles aren't always included in surveys, along with the japanese versions, when these are available? How many of you readily knows that titles like Sakamichi no Apollon, and Shinsekai Yori, actually refers to Kids on the Slope, and From the New World?

Would people still recognize titles like Kekkai Sensen, Kiseijū: Sei no Kakuritsu, or JoJo no Kimyō na Bōken, if they weren't listed using the english translations? It would be unfortunate if certain shows got fewer votes, simply because the voters didn't recognize the japanese titles.

Btw. the highest ranked show on the current survey, not listed under its english title, is Nichijou at #22.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:17 am Reply with quote
About the Survey:

I chose 'None (digital stream)' simply because these days, anime (and other entertainment mediums - like movies, video clips, music and more) are available to view when we want, and where we want (PC, tablet, smartphone, etc). Waiting for a show to be broadcast on TV and align the schedule in order to view it is, frankly, an Old World thinking.

I can't remember the last time I watched a full episode of a show (live-action, anime, documentary) on TV. I mainly use it when I play console games.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
Night fox wrote:
I can't help but wonder why the english titles aren't always included in surveys, along with the japanese versions, when these are available?

Because of the answer to your following question:
Night fox wrote:
How many of you readily knows that titles like Sakamichi no Apollon, and Shinsekai Yori, actually refers to Kids on the Slope, and From the New World?

The poll is user-generated, so people are adding them under the title they know them. I could go either way on your first example, but if someone mentioned they had seen From the New World it would take me a bit to realise they were referring to Shinsekai Yori.

Night fox wrote:
Would people still recognize titles like Kekkai Sensen, Kiseijū: Sei no Kakuritsu, or JoJo no Kimyō na Bōken, if they weren't listed using the english translations?

Gotta say, I'd not known Kekkai Sensen's English title before I looked it up. If you'd used it, I would have had to look it up to find out what show you were talking about. JoJo and Kiseijuu have the advantage of time and establishment (their manga well predate their recent adaptations). I generally just use the original titles myself, and so do I imagine the people adding them to the polls. You're probably right that more people use the original titles but know the English-translated ones than know the English and don't know the original, though. Really, Nichijou is just called Nichijou, though. It's called such on Wikipedia, Crunchyroll and the DVD release.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
... 'The Muslim God' which, grammatically speaking, indicates that he is a separate/different deity ...

To me "Muslim god" means the god worshiped by Muslims. It does not say anything about whether or not it is the same god that is worshiped by others.
Since the article is about a Muslim government banning a book I think that using "Muslim god" is reasonable.

I am curious about what was actually in the manga.
I am assuming that it was banned after being translated into Arabic and that the translation used "Allah." But what was it originally?
Did the manga actually have "Allah" in katakana? Or was it just a generic word for "god," such as kami?
Did the manga say that Ultraman is god? or what?

EDIT: The encyclopedia does not have an entry for an Ultraman manga. After a web search I am a bit confused.
Can anybody confirm that the "Ultraman: The Ultra Power" in the article is the Ultraman manga that was done as a sequel to the TV series?
I was thinking about reading it myself and I have found scanlations of the manga, but I am not sure if it is the same thing.

Last edited by Touma on Sun May 03, 2015 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
Nosehair wrote:
every now and then there are parents who will blame anything they can for their bad parenting, be it music, tv, videogames comic books..(snip!)

This.

As a teacher, I can't say enough about how this is true.If only parents took the time to tell their kids that it isn't real, and really educate them, jobs like mine would be so much easier!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Kodomo no Jikan should've definitely been on the list.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I am assuming that it was banned after being translated into Arabic and that the translation used "Allah." But what was it originally?
Did the manga actually have "Allah" in katakana? Or was it just a generic word for "god," such as kami?
I don't know about the manga, but Malaysia isn't an Arab country, so there was no need for it to get translated into Arabic to get banned there. At first I assumed that if the word used in the original were "Kami(-sama)", with a clear implication that it's used in the context of monotheism, then it would have been translated into Malay as "Tuhan", so it must have originally been "Arrā(fu)". However, the comments to this article suggest that this really was a translation issue. Although I've actually tried translating the word "God" into Malay using Google Translate as some of the commenters suggested, and the first option was "Tuhan"; "allah" (uncapitalized) comes up only as a third option.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
, but Malaysia isn't an Arab country, so there was no need for it to get translated into Arabic to get banned there.

I never even thought about that.
I knew "Allah" only as an Arabic word so I just assumed that the language was Arabic.

Thank you for the information.
Unfortunately, it has just made me even more confused.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Touma wrote:
I don't know about the manga, but Malaysia isn't an Arab country, so there was no need for it to get translated into Arabic to get banned there. At first I assumed that if the word used in the original were "Kami(-sama)", with a clear implication that it's used in the context of monotheism, then it would have been translated into Malay as "Tuhan", so it must have originally been "Arrā(fu)". However, the comments to this article suggest that this really was a translation issue. Although I've actually tried translating the word "God" into Malay using Google Translate as some of the commenters suggested, and the first option was "Tuhan"; "allah" (uncapitalized) comes up only as a third option.

Malaysia's official language is Malay, which is different from Arabic, but since Islam is the prominent - and state - religion, and because there are strong Islamic sentiments to the Arabic writing, naming a character (or anything else for that matter) as "Allah" is just as problematic as in Middle Eastern/North African countries.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I lol'd at #2. The complaint reads like a line out of a Monty Python sketch.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Sun May 03, 2015 12:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Malaysia's official language is Malay, which is different from Arabic, but since Islam is the prominent - and state - religion, and because there are strong Islamic sentiments to the Arabic writing, naming a character (or anything else for that matter) as "Allah" is just as problematic as in Middle Eastern/North African countries.
I neither said nor implied that it wasn't problematic in Malaysia. I only pointed out that the manga wasn't translated into Arabic for the Malaysian market, so the translators probably had words other than "Allah" at their disposal for this translation, like "Tuhan". In fact, for all I know the reference to a monotheistic deity might not even have been necessary in this case, so if "Tuhan" is also problematic a simple lower-case "tuhan" or "dewa" might have sufficed.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I get the impression that the people involved in banning these manga are fans of the slippery slope argument since what got several of them banned was a tiny fraction of the story as a whole.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
I neither said nor implied that it wasn't problematic in Malaysia. I only pointed out that the manga wasn't translated into Arabic for the Malaysian market, so the translators probably had words other than "Allah" at their disposal for this translation, like "Tuhan". In fact, for all I know the reference to a monotheistic deity might not even have been necessary in this case, so if "Tuhan" is also problematic a simple lower-case "tuhan" or "dewa" might have sufficed.

It depends on the context the word "Kami" was used in the manga; if it was used to describe the character as the One & Only Big Fella, then it is reasonable to use Allah to signify that, since "tuhan" is of a lesser grade or unfit, if you will, to describe a god.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun May 03, 2015 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9