• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Brave Mew World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptors was a mess. The original dub was a pretty standard edited dub that at least covered all 70 episodes (not good, but it was somewhat passable), then KidsWB hack/slashed it further to 39. THAT version was incomprehensible. Too bad because it had good voice actors. The Bang Zoom dub of Movie 2 was excellent, too bad we've never gotten a proper dub of the TV series. The closest is that Hong Kong Animax dub that's kinda horrible and really only for viewers that absolutely can't stand subtitles (Andrea Kwan was decent as Sakura though).

And I watched Mew Mew's dub when I was younger. It was enjoyable, though it had issues. It was obvious the writers weren't watching ahead, and the editing got a little ridiculous. Still the voice acting was pretty good, I thought.

EricJ2 wrote:
(Stuff about Doraemon)

I have watched a bit of the Doraemon dub, but have not viewed any of it in Japanese. It's an enjoyable show, though not really for me. But I don't need to watch it to know it's reputation. It's good to know it's being well-received, even with the edits. The voice acting is terrific, especially Mona Marshall.

And there are Doraemon toys in development. Bandai has picked up the toy license. I do hope the show catches on over here. The fact that they're getting a Season 2 can't be a bad sign.
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
4K Media is still going on, and the first dub of ARC-V is out. Censoring, editing and odd casting choices galore. It also seems pretty dated, from the OP that sounds like it's made by the New Day to bad Arnold Schwarzenegger imitations.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
4Kids was hilarious though, I hope they're not forgotten simply because their garbage was comedy gold.

I'll never forget watching their version of Card Captors as a kid and seeing Sakura clearly handing someone a bowl of soup and the dub actress saying "here, have another HAMBURGER!" Laughing

I remember NELVANA'S craziest localization was when Sakura and Tomoyo go on a double-date to an amusement park with Li and Yukito--
Li is a bit...nervous about going with Yukito, and is walking with the stiff-nervous toy-soldier walk that Ryouga always used around Akane on Ranma 1/2.
The English version?: "Li's been showing off ever since he made the drill-march team at school."

(And yes, it's good to see that Doraemon's getting some attention on Disney X-D. The original 00's series ran for a good few episodes back home, and even a few hour specials, so there's plenty of material.
It was supposed to be just the throwaway B-series to fill out the second half hour on what X-D thought was going to be their "hit" cartoon, The 7D, but the wretchedness on that one is better left unmentioned.
It deserves to be on Disney Channel proper, where it would get better ratings, but think they don't show cartoons anymore.)
Yamamoto02

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
So much 4kids/localization apologizing in this thread. Rolling Eyes

Maybe if it was more recent and newer fans had experienced it firsthand, they wouldn't be so willing to give it a pass.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Maybe because no one really cares about 4Kids? I know I don't. Time to move along already.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
My money still waits for a Tokyo Mew Mew rescue.
Yamamoto02

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Maybe because no one really cares about 4Kids? I know I don't. Time to move along already.

Doesn't explain the apologies for the doraemon edits, so yeah.

Also, I care about what I choose to care about.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
If they put it on Toonami, Doraemon could get away with some of the more controversial content.
SEGAtheGENESIS234

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If they put it on Toonami, Doraemon could get away with some of the more controversial content.

Sorry pal. Toonami's very strict when it comes to choosing and licensing shows. The chances of Doraemon airing on Toonami are like the chances of Pokemon airing on Toonami (or any other kid's show for that matter).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
A problem with the Toonami streams:If they have the money to put the episodes online, then they shouldn't have an issue with removing the "Please select your cable service provider" message on recent episodes (this also goes for all streaming sites).
CR85747

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:17 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
A problem with the Toonami streams:If they have the money to put the episodes online, then they shouldn't have an issue with removing the "Please select your cable service provider" message on recent episodes (this also goes for all streaming sites).

Where does Toonami get their money? Cable companies.

Unlike the ad-supported and subscription streaming services, Toonami is tied to a cable subscription, and therefore their web service is tied to the "TV Everywhere" method of cable subscription verification.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:27 am Reply with quote
The grudge comes from the fact that 4kids only wanted to make money, they used the gimmick of culture which they didn't care about, knew nothing of the source material, and assumed animation is only for children who are retarded which is everything that animé goes against. The biggest factor is that it was concentrated.

As previously mentioned, us otaku are sensitive so of course the hatred seems even bigger. We bring them up because of the scar they made and how we should avoid it (and top worst lists). This lack of attachment feels more like we are admitting that it did introduce us to this medium to us as well as the fact that we don't care anymore.

I will defend edits if used well.

I still don't get the "if 4kids got" videos? Can somebody explain to me what's so funny about them if the majority finds what they did painful?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
I still don't get the "if 4kids got" videos? Can somebody explain to me what's so funny about them if the majority finds what they did painful?

At best, they're like the "What if Saul Bass did the credits for (Star Wars/Titanic)" videos--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mR149kffXM
An incongruous look at how much things have changed from what they used to be.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
The grudge comes from the fact that 4kids only wanted to make money, they used the gimmick of culture which they didn't care about, knew nothing of the source material, and assumed animation is only for children who are retarded which is everything that animé goes against. The biggest factor is that it was concentrated.

As previously mentioned, us otaku are sensitive so of course the hatred seems even bigger. We bring them up because of the scar they made and how we should avoid it (and top worst lists). This lack of attachment feels more like we are admitting that it did introduce us to this medium to us as well as the fact that we don't care anymore.

I will defend edits if used well.

I too might defend edits if I feel they are worthy of defending. At least with Toonami, while shows do have edits, they often are the type that you can get aware more with than a 4Kids edit. That is, when Naruto was on Toonami, the content they had on it had it as a TV-PG rather than a TV-Y7.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime industry is a small world, and just like any other industry, once you have a reputation for screwing up, it's unlikely you'll be hired to do that job again. In fact, anime history is littered with people whose filmographies stop abruptly after a particularly disastrous show.

Yeah, like one Maxine O. on the English dub of 801st TTS Airbats. She has only one anime credit, and this clip shows why!

https://youtu.be/-isxlTyjgNg?t=9m45s

I'm sure she's a very nice person otherwise, but she clearly needed to find another line of work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7