• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do You Keep Up With So Much Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
You can filter out shows on Anichart as well, you just have to go into settings and set it to remove all titles marked as red.
I really like the layout of links on Livechart. As well as how titles are also in kanji(just a little thing, but kinda neat). I don't really like how shorts are bundled right in with full length stuff though.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Watch everything. Why should you be another statistic in the bandwagon of popular anime #6549674? Take pride that you've watched everything including the most obscure and most banal battle toy commercial.
I'm going to agree, go full force into it and don't look back.

Truly if you look at the forums and there are a ton of pages you can usually bet the rumblings are leading to the next popular thing or kids crying about CGI.

To be fair the CGI looks about as bad as the 90's - 2004 CGI, that person should feel right at home.

Streaming and 1080p are a big thing now as well.
Desa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Agreed. Skipping around sounds confusing due to lax of context you'll have,

It's not random button-mashing. if you find yourself lost and confused, you're doing it wrong. When someone is explaining how their convenient MacGuffin device works, you pay attention, and when someone is obviously trying to be all "moe" and you don't care for it you skip it. It's that simple.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Streaming and 1080p are a big thing now as well.

Unfortunately 1080p streaming is objectively a waste of bandwidth most of the time. The majority of anime sources don't have the image detail to warrant a higher output resolution than 720p and streaming necessarily caps bitrate so your pipeline is now stuffed with more redundant pixels without much increase in clarity.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
Agreed. Skipping around sounds confusing due to lax of context you'll have,

It's not random button-mashing. if you find yourself lost and confused, you're doing it wrong. When someone is explaining how their convenient MacGuffin device works, you pay attention, and when someone is obviously trying to be all "moe" and you don't care for it you skip it. It's that simple..

I think the problem Stuart is getting at, and something that I would worry about as well, is just how to determine what is and isn't important, and, I find, a lot of the time, important things happen and are said, in scenes that don't seem particularly important at first glance. I've tried skipping scenes before, and the result was always confusing because I don't know where the scene actually ends, and I don't know how important it was in hindsight. And going into the next scene, I always feel like I'm missing context. I think part of this may have to do with my own curiosity, and just needing to know literally everything that happens in a show, but it's definitely a significant roadblock for me with that type of watching. It's the same reason I don't fold laundry, do household chores, or tweet while watching. If I tried, I'd end up rewinding the show constantly to catch what I missed while I was looking away.
MavenRaven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I was in the same boat. Anime fan since the 90s, mostly took a hiatus in 2006 and didn't resume regularly watching until 2013. This is what I do.

1. Find a chart/website preview with descriptions and trailers. I use MyAnimeList's (MAL) now, but there are others.
2. Mark down what sounds interesting and subscribed to the streaming service that has most of them. I normally use Crunchyroll, but I also use Funimation and Daisuki.net with delays.
3. Make a physical calendar with all the shows I want to watch. I tend to watch around 20 shows a season or so, and I try to space them out so I don't watch more than 3 a day. That's about an hour a day, very doable.
4. Pay attention to episode discussions and reviews. I check out ANN, reddit, and MAL.
5. Drop shows if they are bad, and watch a few episodes of shows that people seem to love.

I sometimes get behind on some shows if they are kind of mediocre, but I've been doing this for 3 years now. I don't have a family, but I work and have hobbies that take up a lot of time (board and video games). So hopefully this works for people in similar situations.
katsundere

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
I'm curious and have weird tastes so I usually end up watching almost everything that comes out each season. I usually keep tabs on the Upcoming TV Anime list on AnimeNewsNetwork and remember anything that catches my eye.

I usually end up watching at least 15 shows but for the last 2 seasons the count has been going up. I was interested in 20 shows in the Summer season but for Fall it's a record 25. But I might drop 5 or so.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:01 am Reply with quote
MavenRaven wrote:
I was in the same boat. Anime fan since the 90s, mostly took a hiatus in 2006 and didn't resume regularly watching until 2013. This is what I do.

Ditto. Fan in the late '90s (Sailor Moon was my first), got pretty into it around 2000-2004, then got busy with life, not really watching anything except for the occasional taking-of-people-through-SKU nights. Got back into following things in 2014.

I've found that it's helpful to have a guide. I tended to look up anime reviews of shows I'd come to an opinion on, seeking out those who'd come to similar conclusions (or had really insightful analysis, even if I'd disagreed). Then I'd check out their other reviews (or YouTube videos) and found out that we had pretty similar tastes and POVs. For me, that makes them a useful resource. If they put out a top-10 list for a year, I know that the shows they've listed are likely to be shows I'll find enjoyable.

Beyond that, MAL is pretty helpful thanks to their recommendation engine, and then I'll occasionally browse through forums and boards for other gems.

Finally, it's always good to give a shot to something that you're not sure about at all -- you never know what'll surprise you. RightStuf sales, spur-of-the-moment clicks on Crunchyroll, and random browsing on Amazon have led to a few things I wouldn't have gotten into otherwise but ended up really liking.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
How Do You Keep Up With So Much Anime?

Short answer: I don't. I can't. There aren't enough hours in the day.

Long answer: Since about 2011 or so, I've had to learn to pick and choose--especially since I don't watch streaming anime, preferring to buy physical media that I can share with others (like all the DVDs I get out of Blu combo packs! Wink )

Here's my toolkit for winnowing out prospects: I read reviews of writers who often share my tastes. I listen to fellow fans at conventions. I heed the recommendations of friends whose opinions I trust. It doesn't always work--like Justin said, I've kissed a few frogs (Devils and Realist, anyone?), But more often than not, I hit pay dirt.with shows that not only entertain, but leave me wanting more (and I'm the type to patiently wait for the next season's discs to be released--Noragami Aragoto comes to mind at the moment.)
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I think the problem Stuart is getting at, and something that I would worry about as well, is just how to determine what is and isn't important, and, I find, a lot of the time, important things happen and are said, in scenes that don't seem particularly important at first glance. I've tried skipping scenes before, and the result was always confusing because I don't know where the scene actually ends, and I don't know how important it was in hindsight. And going into the next scene, I always feel like I'm missing context. I think part of this may have to do with my own curiosity, and just needing to know literally everything that happens in a show, but it's definitely a significant roadblock for me with that type of watching. It's the same reason I don't fold laundry, do household chores, or tweet while watching. If I tried, I'd end up rewinding the show constantly to catch what I missed while I was looking away.

One example I'll always remember is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I accidentally skipped one of the post-ending scenes, and it happened to be a big plot point about Riza's tattoo, so in the next episode I felt I missed something until I went back and realized there was a scene I missed.

Plus, even if you think a scene is just typical banter or exposition, you can miss some key foreshadowing or hints in seemingly uneventful dialog. Subtle dialog or background animation. Everything in a visual medium is made on purpose and nothing is by accident. People with a keen eye can pick up on things before a reveal usually.

-Stuart Smith
0nsen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
It's rather easy nowadays, if you're dedicated. All you need is to manage time efficiently, hunting down series isn't a problem anymore. Heck, last year I managed what seemed impossible just ten short years ago: watching every anime that is available to me. Which is a five digit number. Of course, I aborted 90% of them because they were crap. 90% of everything is crap.

So just shut up and watch more anime. It's never enough.

"But I don't have enough time, buhu..." Yeah, well, then obviously anime isn't as important in your life, so why do you care?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6