• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Death Note Film's Producer Responds to Whitewashing Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceblast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, I guess we have entered a age, where you can't take a story from another country, and make your own version of it, even if you pay the creator of the story a licensing fee. You're just a racist if you want to do that.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
iceblast wrote:
Jeez, I guess we have entered a age, where you can't take a story from another country, and make your own version of it, even if you pay the creator of the story a licensing fee. You're just a racist if you want to do that.

No, no. You are only a racist if you are white (and probably male) and do that. Again, I think of classic literature, as a Brit it would be like me saying that only we can perform Shakespeare, which is nonsense.

While I do think Hollywood does need to up its game on giving parts to different people (mostly from the point of view that far too many movies are the same old drivel, showing a different culture we are less familiar with would be more interesting), the reasons for the casting choice at least make sense. I do wonder though since Light is suppose to be evil, whether there is a race reason behind this casting dynamic anyway. I could imagine a different set of people crying racism (those not familiar with the source material), if you cast an Asian-American in the lead role.
xzy123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
iceblast wrote:

No, no. You are only a racist if you are white (and probably male) and do that. Again, I think of classic literature, as a Brit it would be like me saying that only we can perform Shakespeare, which is nonsense.

While I do think Hollywood does need to up its game on giving parts to different people (mostly from the point of view that far too many movies are the same old drivel, showing a different culture we are less familiar with would be more interesting), the reasons for the casting choice at least make sense. I do wonder though since Light is suppose to be evil, whether there is a race reason behind this casting dynamic anyway. I could imagine a different set of people crying racism (those not familiar with the source material), if you cast an Asian-American in the lead role.

only if lead role have so many other better people but no we want to whitewash
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Not_Nitsugalego wrote:

TFW low key racism and entitlement culture is so rampant nowadays that people need characters to be of their own race in order to identify with them.
I get it though, I can't identify with anime characters because I'm a three dimensional being. spoiler[Where are my 3D, male, white Hispanic, South American anime characters?!]

This is hilarious because their whole excuse for changing it to an American setting with a white protagonist -as explicitly cited by this producer- (and it also applies for 101% of whitewashed productions) is that "it's so that the [white] American audience can relate easier and consume it [because execs think white Americans are too stupid to relate to something that does not directly represent their culture]". But I'm sure you didn't even realize the irony in your own comment

Quote:
You are only a racist if you are white (and probably male) and do that.

Pretty sure the fact that white males have historically oppressed neglected and pillaged from all other races in the US and the Western world has absolutely nothing to do with that, just a coincidence, a bad stereotype, poor white people, they've never done anything wrong.

Quote:
Of course people are going to say that she is lying because how could it be that hard... well the actors themselves have to be available and interested, and I don't think the pool of Japanese actors with lead role experience is especially large.

I mean, Disney was able to find Auli'i Cravalho for Moana, she's a new face and fit the bill perfectly, and I'm pretty sure the pool of Polinesian actors is comparable if not even smaller to that of Asian-American actors, so forgive me if I find that statement extremely hard to buy
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
Gotta agree with everyone saying this is getting out of hand.

It's 2017 and production teams still can't give us better excuses for why they actively deny access and representation to people of color on a routine basis? Oi vey. Let's go through this bit by bit.

Quote:
if our version of Death Note was set in Japan and [featured] characters that were Japanese-named or of Japanese ancestry

Yeah OK but Japanese people also live in places that aren't Japan, like America and even *gasp* Seattle, so no.

Quote:
make it more appealing to the US or to the English-language market.

Because, as CrowLia pointed out above me, the idea presented here is that we have to condescend to ignorant "English-speaking" (coded White) Americans who have no capacity to sympathize or identify with stories outside of their cultural comfort zone; for those of you citing white oppression and calling us racist for demanding improved representation, uh, maybe you should be pissed that Hollywood thinks y'all are too limited to comprehend the casting of an Asian lead actor?
Nope, it's definitely the idea that Asian actors should be able to get work, too. That's just ridiculous Shonen Jump Weekly posturing. White people have the most problems.

Quote:
one of our three leads is African-American

BINGO! We all know people of color are interchangeable, and if you just select an ethnic shade at random from your personal diversity palette and stick it in somewhere, you've done your part. A black actor portraying L does nothing for the Japanese-American community in terms of cultural awareness and encouraging their stories to be told, and there's no need to be apologetic about just how racist it is to use black folks as a shield against criticism surrounding ethnic authenticity in casting. That is some nasty passive-aggressive politicizing of race relations, and what's worse is Lee probably doesn't even know he's doing it: this all just comes naturally to him, like, *shrug* we have a black guy in the movie isn't that good enough for you?
Nope, no it's not, you still get an F.

Quote:
No one criticized it then. Maybe they should've or maybe they could've, [and] I just didn't know about it.

OK let's pretend that Asian-American folks were even allotted the opportunity to voice their perspectives and feelings about virtually any adapted property in the early 2000s, yeah let's just take that assumption at face value and run with it and say nobody even cared: so? We live in 2017, not 2002. Advancements in social dialogues occur as society progresses, this is basic common sense. Increased awareness of the manners in which disempowered classes of people (women, queer folks, black and brown communities, take your pick) are exploited has always been supplemented by a generational shift in attitudes and understandings, and this is a good thing. It means people, especially young people, are thinking critically, reexamining the world around them, and making determinations about what kind of a society they want to contribute to propping up: one that is stagnant and boring and rooted in the same old inhibiting cliches and power dynamics, or one that can expand and grow and be informed by the voices of the many rather than one select group.

It's worth noting that Masi Oka (not really a neutral party but OK) pretty avidly contradicts Lee in his statement to EW, insisting it wasn't a business decision (what's this about making it more appealing to "English-language audiences"?) and admitting they straight-up could have selected an Asian actor. The rest of his argument is typical Hollywood "conventional wisdom" indicative of his own internalized notion of "Asianness" in the film industry in that it reinforces a myth of absent Asian-American talent rather than a fact of anything. Big Hero 6, Power Rangers, Nikita, the upcoming Mulan remake (supposedly), Suicide Squad, Arrow, hell even that French live-action Code Lyoko reboot which was no doubt drawing from a much smaller pool of talent than any available to Hollywood have successfully cast Asian performers who are as qualified as anyone else. The idea that lol there just aren't any who can do it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is a pretty unconvincing suggestion, especially when your go-to white substitute is a real A-lister like Nat Wolff (lmao) and you have a Japanese-American performer in your movie like...?
*...Ame to Yuki...*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:44 am Reply with quote
I'm not convinced that they thought they needed to have white actors in order for the show to sell or become more "popular" in America...umm, no. You could say that about any other adaptation than Death Note's. Death Note enjoys an incredibly large fanbase. It is basically the Star Wars of animated shows. They could afford to be "experimental" if it was in fact experimental to have Asian-American actors (What!)...who would btw speak perfect English because they are well...Americans, what is this conversation really?!

But this just shows that they had absolutely no passion to realise what they were adapting. This isn't a lone anime that some of "those weird otaku people " might be interested in seeing. This is Death Note.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

There was the time Iwasaki Taku sampled Islamic sounds in the Noragami 2 OST

There's the trope of Chinese Girls that is present in Japanese media.

There's the fascination with Nazi like outfits.

There's plenty of racially insensitive characters in shows, used for comedy.

etc etc

I'd provide more examples but I need to get to work. Woops!

Thanks, I forgot about those- the Catholicism stuff just came to mind first because of how much there is. I'm pretty sure there was a Zelda game that incorrectly used an Islamic prayer chant too.

Not to mention Yugioh!

CrowLia wrote:

Quote:
You are only a racist if you are white (and probably male) and do that.

Pretty sure the fact that white males have historically oppressed neglected and pillaged from all other races in the US and the Western world has absolutely nothing to do with that, just a coincidence, a bad stereotype, poor white people, they've never done anything wrong.

Because I'm sure not a single person of any other race or gender has done anything bad in history ever! If we're going to blame an entire section of humans for things some of their ancestors may have done in history at one point, then we might as well blame all Americans for Hiroshima and call every German a nazi, all of Japan for their war crimes etc. etc.

People should be judged by what THEY do, not what some crusty old dead person they've never even met did way before they were born.

CrowLia wrote:

I mean, Disney was able to find Auli'i Cravalho for Moana, she's a new face and fit the bill perfectly, and I'm pretty sure the pool of Polinesian actors is comparable if not even smaller to that of Asian-American actors, so forgive me if I find that statement extremely hard to buy

She's Hawaiian. She's still American. You're only calling her 'polinesian' to make her sound like a minority.
Plus since not only can I imagine it's easier to find an english-speaking Hawaiian who fits the part, it's pot luck. Even in Auli'i's case, she nearly didn't audition.
On an unrelated note, she went to a high school called Kamehameha.

Why does it only matter then when the person's a different colour? Aren't we going to complain about the fact they cast Emma Watson - an English actress- as Belle, a French girl? Of course bloody not.

Besides, why doesn't anyone understand how the industry works? Disney is so popular, they can cast whoever they want and it'll still sell. Anime isn't as popular as everyone here thinks it is. Death Note is one of the few things people who don't watch anime may've heard the name of, but they're not going to watch it if it's a cast of all unknown actors. The Death Note film is such a gamble in the first place, they need big-name actors to sell it to the normies.

Last edited by Puniyo on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
cloud8100

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
People do get pretty ridiculous over this stuff. They also tend to be hypocrites. These things happen all the time, everywhere.

http://asianfilmist.com/12-films-remade-in-asia/
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:29 am Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
FackuIkari wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to tell why this """"""controversy"""""" affects the pacing, plot, story, characters, writing and directing that makes this adaptation, that you have not watched, bad in any way, shape or form.

Don't you think we should be worried more about that and how is gonna represent Death Note instead of the f******g casting for an adaptation that has an entirely different setting? Does it really matter?

It absolutely matters. Imagine not being white, and being told "No matter how talented you are, how good your chemistry is with the rest of the cast, or how well you fit the role, mainstream audiences will dismiss you on sight simply for looking different." Or "You're just not attractive enough to be a lead, audiences are only attracted to white men." Or being told that even if you're Asian-American, and have spent your entire life speaking mostly English and living in the States, that people will assume you aren't capable of pulling the role off, because they assume you only speak Chinese/Japanese/Korean/etc.

Cultural appropriation is also ABSOLUTELY a thing. If you're taking parts of someone's culture and using it without understanding how it's important, or what it means to that culture, it's disrespectful as all hell.

IN THE MOVIE how does it matter?
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
I like how pretty much nobody cares if the movie is good or bad, that's funny. If it turns out to be a really good supernatural thriller, who cares? seriously
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I find it a bit unbelievable to me they couldn't find a single Asian American actor that didn't speak "perfect English."

Seriously? That's not what was said at all. Oka's statement was basically that they couldn't find someone with the right acting chops and feel for the character, who also happened to speak perfect English. Until you've been behind a casting desk (I have), you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
I like how pretty much nobody cares if the movie is good or bad, that's funny. If it turns out to be a really good supernatural thriller, who cares? seriously

How many people have to say that they care about how good the movie is for you to think "somebody" cares about its quality? Because quite a few people have said that in this thread alone. But, you know what? It could be good or bad regardless of who's cast. Just so happens that a lot of whitewashed movies that justified racist casting before their film's debut happen to be really bad. Remember how many times Shymalan & co claimed they got "the best actors" for the part of Aang, Katara and Sokka? Did anyone actually still believe that after the movie came out? Sometimes I think producers get all defensive towards whitewashing critics before a movie comes out in order to drum up "controversy" and get free publicity like this article. Then when the movie's terrible, they're all like "well, all those critics who said it was racist made sure no one even gave it a chance! It's *their* fault our movie bombed!!!" That was Ghost in the Shell's strategy, in any case.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
@Suena: I can't be the only who wants a live-action "91 Days". It's clearly got an American-type setting: the fictional Illinois town of Lawless set during the Prohibition. Changing to Chicago should not be an issue since I think the anime writers did base it off of Chicago. It is also possible to get a good Mafia movie under a PG-13. Also, since the show cast is Italian or Italian-American, we have plenty of them in Hollywood that could work. Also, even if some of the hypothetical live actors were not either, there are skilled actors who can do convincing Italian accents.

Finally, even though the anime sold poorly in Japan, if it did well here, the amount of royalties going back to the Japanese could help the Japanese studio recover those lousy sales.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:03 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
FackuIkari wrote:

How many people have to say that they care about how good the movie is for you to think "somebody" cares about its quality? Because quite a few people have said that in this thread alone. But, you know what? It could be good or bad regardless of who's cast. Just so happens that a lot of whitewashed movies that justified racist casting before their film's debut happen to be really bad. Remember how many times Shymalan & co claimed they got "the best actors" for the part of Aang, Katara and Sokka? Did anyone actually still believe that after the movie came out? Sometimes I think producers get all defensive towards whitewashing critics before a movie comes out in order to drum up "controversy" and get free publicity like this article. Then when the movie's terrible, they're all like "well, all those critics who said it was racist made sure no one even gave it a chance! It's *their* fault our movie bombed!!!" That was Ghost in the Shell's strategy, in any case.

So my question is, what happens if it is good? like Edge of Tomorrow, I don't really remember a lot of people screaming at the heavens because Tom Cruise was in it instead of a asian american playing the part of Keiji, or maybe I wasn't really into the internet when that movie came out, I don't know. I'm just tired of this bullshit about a movie nobody saw. I just want a good movie, If it makes sense in the world of the adaptation to Light to be that guy who cares
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:

Well considering the track record of Japanese movies/anime/manga/video games and etc that were then Americanized/Westernized with a big "Hollywood" budget-odds are not in NetFlix's favor. Smile Could turn out alright ,The Ring and The Grudge were decent enough remakes.(and let us not kid ourselves plenty of Japanese live action adaptions suck-AoT shudder).

The term "whitewashing" is being used as a catchall at this point.

A film made in<insert> will be cast with mainly with <insert>because not of racism but profit.Setting aside "art" films and the like- Money is the driving factor,the domestic audience paying to see a film.

Attack on Titan,sorry but there is only one Asian character in the story,there was no outrage on how the movie was cast.God those movies should be renamed "When bad Adaptions Attack"-but they made money in Japan.
Sword art Online is being developed into a US television show,highly doubt the cast will be all Asian.

Back to "whitewashing"-Most humans hate changes to what they are comfortable with.
What is upsetting to fans is changes to their beloved title,a personal example- Peter Jackson's adaptions of J.J.R Tolkien's works.
Fans get upset when long standing characters are changed for political correctness-Johnny Storm & Sue Storm-54 or so years of cannon ignored.

The real issue is movie makers for the most part just plain suck,no originality&creativity.
So many re-boots,even re-boots of a re-boot (Batman&Spiderman). Sequels enough said,remakes(Scarface really?going to remake Scarface, third times the charm right- sigh).

And so many adaptions aimed at not re-creating a beloved story but aimed for making money(Jackson looking at you),and heavily altered with political correctness.

Blame not the inherent human racism,but blame instead the inherent greed and lack of originality&creativity of those making these films.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9