• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Teen Sex Comedies Only Acceptable When They're Live Action?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mm-17

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"it's okay because this is clearly a grown 24-year-old woman playing the role" that acts as a get-out-of-jail-free card in a live action project.
I would argue that "it's okay because this is clearly a goddamn fictional character that doesn't exist in real life" should act more as a get-out-of-jail-free card in an anime.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
What's interesting is that there are two entirely different perspectives at work here:

One says that art such as anime or manga (etc.) is not real, therefore there are no victims and there is no crime when talking about depictions of underage sex or nudity.

The other seems to hold that if someone is looking at sexualized depictions of underage characters than that means the person doing the looking is guilty of some kind of perversion even if there is no victim.

It's interesting to see how different groups of people end up with totally different views on the same subject.

...and then of course we have the crazy Western double-standards where young men are glorified for being popular with the ladies, whereas the ladies are expected to remain chaste until marriage. And the even bigger one: a movie can get away with a remarkable amount of violence before getting slapped with an R or NC17 rating whereas the slightest bit of nudity puts it full into R territory. I can't speak for everyone, but I think it's ridiculous that society seems to think that a child seeing a woman's bare breast is somehow worse than a child seeing acts of violence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6