• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Akudama Drive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pettanthropology

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Turns out the real Akudama Drive were the friends we made along the way. Well, even if they're all dead now. Push me to the edge.

Still, I'm rather surprised with the way it all wrapped up. Given the nature of Kodaka's previous affiliations, I had a strong feeling every character would end up dying somewhere along the way with the kids inevitably being captured, but it didn't. Just like the first Danganronpa (and the rest of them for that matter), it left off on a very open-ended note left for interpretation or the imagination of the viewer.

This makes top ten if not top 5 of the year for me definitely. That's Kodaka and the gang for you. Studio Pierrot really went off on this one, too. Good shit, everyone.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I really wish that the translator had not directly translated the loan word feminist that the Doctor kept using directly back in that word when subtitling. It's one of those words (like, e.g. juice) that had its meaning changed when borrowing. フェミニスト really means something more like "a gentleman, a chivalrous man, a man who indulges women or puts them on a pedestal" more than what we mean in English by "feminist."
Penguinsaurus_Rex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Although saying that no single cop gets sympathy in cyberpunk... yeah, that's not how it goes. It's pretty usual to find the single cop/soldier/agent who has to learn the hard way that the system they served was manipualting and using them to hurt themselves and everything they thought they stood for.
That said, even though she will get more scenes Pupil's case is not so important, since she didn't fight for justice, peace, the country, the people or whatever, she fought to serve her groomed hatred for Akudama.

I think there was a single cop in the series that can be seen as sympathetic, only that it wasn't the Pupil, which would've been my guess earlier in the season, but Junior. Not only he's the only executioner in the series who doesn't seem to want to kill, but he's also the only one shaken by the massacre against civilians, contrasted to Pupil's indifference, or the rest which were actually enjoying it, and even in the end his demise was caused by trying to remove a little girl from a dangerous situation (and in a far gentler way than the corpse disposal crew did before). And all he got was a needle to the heart, broken dreams and finally a shot to the gut as a direct consequence of the Executioner's violence.
I'd even say his worshipping attitute towards the Shinkansen was another thing that made him close to the civilians than the executioners.

Not sure if we can say he completely woke up about the corruption of the Executioners and the government (he got too little screentime for having a character arc), but can't help but think of him as a puppy-eyed rookie who became a cop because he wanted to make the world a better place, only to end up becoming a victim of the same systems and institutions that he thought were serving the people instead of the other way around.
90s-shonen-fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
90s-shonen-fan wrote:
and its unequivocal hatred of cops fully assuaged those fears

This is what cops are as an institution, and they deserve no sympathy or well-rounded character arc for it. It's beyond reformation.

Especially in light of If anything is going to call itself “cyberpunk,” this is the bare minimum amount of revolutionary messaging I want out of it.

Please explain?

Cyberpunk is punk.
The purpose of the genre is to use the convenience but also the alienation of technology to denounce corporativism and authoritarism, and how that technology is used to drill propaganda 24/7. Repressive forces like the police get little sympathy because they're one of the key instruments of that all-devouring authority.

Although saying that no single cop gets sympathy in cyberpunk... yeah, that's not how it goes. It's pretty usual to find the single cop/soldier/agent who has to learn the hard way that the system they served was manipualting and using them to hurt themselves and everything they thought they stood for.
That said, even though she will get more scenes Pupil's case is not so important, since she didn't fight for justice, peace, the country, the people or whatever, she fought to serve her groomed hatred for Akudama.

Then again, this show WAS particularly criticizing police forces (and in the end Boss was just power hungry, not righteous but misguided). Afterall what Hakobiya sliced in half wasn't a government hall, or the Seal Office or the Shinkansen which was the highest symbol of Kanto's rule (someone else did that, not by accident); it was the Kansai Police Dept.

If you believe that cyberpunk takes an anti-police stance in general then explain:

A. Ghost in the Shell (section 9 plus lots of side characters that are regular beat cops)
B. Akira (Colonel Shikishima, combined military/police role)
C. Armitage (both main characters)
D. Appleseed (combination of B. and C.)
E. the Bubblegum Crisis/AD Police franchise
F. Dirty Pair (another combination of B. and C.)
G. Patlabor (entirely about police)

And that is just off the top of my head. LOTS of cyberpunk works are about bedraggled police officers doing their level best to maintain/impose a modicum of order amid chaos created by superpowered techno-criminals, corrupt bureaucrats, shady corporations and conspiracies involving a union of all three. As for cyberpunk works that depict the police as being uniquely bad and a threat to everything else as opposed to merely being an extension of a corrupt or autocratic government or decadent unaccountable upper class which is the true cause of all the problems, I have yet to encounter any. I am intrigued if any exist and can be recommended. And no, this work being reviewed is not an example.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:06 am Reply with quote
I have to eat my words from before—Akadama Drive *was* hinting at real world parallels with its depictions of protests and police brutality, and the finale went *hard* on the All-Cops-Are-Bastards, F### The Police theme. It was glorious, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this series is censored in China.

I’m a little bummed that Swindler and Courier had to die, but it made sense thematically and they went out with a bang (although the cross was a bit much). I would’ve really loved to see a hint of what was waiting for Brother & Sister. I get why they kept it vague but I was craving something definitive.

Overall, it was a Very Good show. I hope Funimation gets the uncut version of the finale.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:28 am Reply with quote
While I'd dearly like to avoid any RL references which may or may not be intended by this show, I will point out the following about the anime: the *society* in Akudama Drive was badly broken. It may have seemed peaceful on the surface, but it was hiding a heck of a lot of darkness. Think of how Swindler became Swindler: she didn't have 500 yen to pay for her meal, and was arrested for that and branded a criminal. Rigid rules are a result of a rigid, inflexible society, not the other way around.

Why were the Executioners given so much power? Why was it necessary for them to have so much power to maintain order? The rulers of the city weren't even human anymore, as they had shed their bodies in the past. Fear was driving everything below them: the Executioner Chief, the Police Chief, the regular citizens; the only ones who seemed to really throw away their fear were the Akudama.

The citizens couldn't stand living in fear anymore and turned to violence, destroying things and murdering one another in the streets. The Executioner Chief feared being killed by Kanto (as the computer images had been repeatedly threatening her with doing), and you could see her cracking under the constant pressure, which dehumanized her into a monster (probably before the events of the story started). The Executioners which had freedom (of a sort) and were corrupted and dehumanized by it.

The whole society was a broken mess, even if it was (for a time) still functional. It wasn't just the government, it was the whole thing. It was bound to fall apart.
siromkun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:41 am Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I was this unsure about rating an anime. Akudama can roughly be divided in two parts. First part is all fun and drive about moe killers (plus one ordinary girl) doing moe killings and going on big adventure to steal something from somewhere. It's REALLY a fun ride!
Second part is suddenly all too serious with killers becoming ordinary psychotic killers, and ordinary girl becoming less likeable ordinary girl. Everyone is running somewhere to do something. It's really all ...boring?
IMHO first part deserves at least 9 out of 10, but I wouldn't give second part more than 2 out of 10. The truth must be somewhere in the middle

Last edited by siromkun on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:27 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
SHD wrote:

Reviewer having their "North-American-In-2020" glasses firmly welded on, and thus not noticing that the show is commenting on authoritarian systems and not the police per se. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And the authoritarian system it's commenting on is the police. I don't know what mental gymnastics you managed to get "this show where the cops are a corrupt force that arbitrarily uses the label of criminality to justify violence" is somehow not commenting specifically on policing but you get the Gold.

No, the authoritarian system it's commenting on is presented as Kansai under Kantou's rule upholding their power using the Executioners, giving them a license to kill as they please.. It's not the police itself, it's the system using the police (or rather, mostly the Executioners, not as much the actual cops, as we see) as their violent arm to keep citizens in line, making it so that the only difference between the "cops" and "bad guys" is pretty much the license to kill and that the former can designate these labels as they please. Like, this is spelled out quite literally in the show! I don't know what mental gymnastics you managed to get... oh wait, I know. You've been (understandably) influenced by events in the USA this year, and are stuck in this very narrow way of parsing anything that involves cops. Look deep inside your soul and ask yourself if you would interpret this show the same way if you had seen it last year, not this year.

Yeah.

And before this gets ugly and accusations get thrown at me, as it so often happens, I'd like to make it clear that 1. I live in a country with an actual authoritarian system (a dictatorship in anything but name), and no, it's not "like the US", I wish it was like in the US; and 2. I'm no fan of any police or authority; 3. also my politics are the kind that certain Americans like to call "extreme left" (which is kind of hilarious considering it's actually not anything particularly extreme, even as far as leftists go).
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
lossthief wrote:
SHD wrote:

Reviewer having their "North-American-In-2020" glasses firmly welded on, and thus not noticing that the show is commenting on authoritarian systems and not the police per se. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And the authoritarian system it's commenting on is the police. I don't know what mental gymnastics you managed to get "this show where the cops are a corrupt force that arbitrarily uses the label of criminality to justify violence" is somehow not commenting specifically on policing but you get the Gold.

No, the authoritarian system it's commenting on is presented as Kansai under Kantou's rule upholding their power using the Executioners, giving them a license to kill as they please.. It's not the police itself, it's the system using the police (or rather, mostly the Executioners, not as much the actual cops, as we see) as their violent arm to keep citizens in line, making it so that the only difference between the "cops" and "bad guys" is pretty much the license to kill and that the former can designate these labels as they please. Like, this is spelled out quite literally in the show! I don't know what mental gymnastics you managed to get... oh wait, I know. You've been (understandably) influenced by events in the USA this year, and are stuck in this very narrow way of parsing anything that involves cops. Look deep inside your soul and ask yourself if you would interpret this show the same way if you had seen it last year, not this year.

Yeah.

And before this gets ugly and accusations get thrown at me, as it so often happens, I'd like to make it clear that 1. I live in a country with an actual authoritarian system (a dictatorship in anything but name), and no, it's not "like the US", I wish it was like in the US; and 2. I'm no fan of any police or authority; 3. also my politics are the kind that certain Americans like to call "extreme left" (which is kind of hilarious considering it's actually not anything particularly extreme, even as far as leftists go).

Quote:
No, the authoritarian system it's commenting on is presented as Kansai under Kantou's rule upholding their power using the Executioners, giving them a license to kill as they please..

It's almost funny that you still repeated the actual argument against cops while pretending it's not about cops. Cops being able to kill with impunity *using the laws of the government* is a structural problem with cops having too much authority. Congratulations you're like 90% of the way to understanding the argument that was being made.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:03 pm Reply with quote
90s-shonen-fan wrote:

If you believe that cyberpunk takes an anti-police stance in general then explain:

A. Ghost in the Shell (section 9 plus lots of side characters that are regular beat cops)
B. Akira (Colonel Shikishima, combined military/police role)
C. Armitage (both main characters)
D. Appleseed (combination of B. and C.)
E. the Bubblegum Crisis/AD Police franchise
F. Dirty Pair (another combination of B. and C.)
G. Patlabor (entirely about police)

And that is just off the top of my head. LOTS of cyberpunk works are about bedraggled police officers doing their level best to maintain/impose a modicum of order amid chaos created by superpowered techno-criminals, corrupt bureaucrats, shady corporations and conspiracies involving a union of all three. As for cyberpunk works that depict the police as being uniquely bad and a threat to everything else as opposed to merely being an extension of a corrupt or autocratic government or decadent unaccountable upper class which is the true cause of all the problems, I have yet to encounter any. I am intrigued if any exist and can be recommended. And no, this work being reviewed is not an example.

Having or being police doesn't make a thing Pro-Cop. Most of these stories place characters in this position in order to effectively point out how bad these institutions are. Part of the dystopian aspect of cyberpunk is that even when they do the right thing they're still part of the problem, because they're tied into the larger system. Even the ones where they aren't really commentating intentionally they're placed in these roles as an excuse to provide legalized violence. It really isn't very hard to understand that art comments on the things it portrays.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Like, this is spelled out quite literally in the show! I don't know what mental gymnastics you managed to get... oh wait, I know. You've been (understandably) influenced by events in the USA this year, and are stuck in this very narrow way of parsing anything that involves cops. Look deep inside your soul and ask yourself if you would interpret this show the same way if you had seen it last year, not this year.

Mistrust of the police as an oppressive institution and enforcers of state violence isn't remotely new to 2020 or exclusive to the US. Japan has had anti-police brutality protests this year, as well as in the past.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Had to do some clean up. I think this is getting off topic at this point and people are getting rude. If you also can't make a point and post your thoughts without insulting the reviewer personally, because you don't agree with them, then don't make your point.
quirkafleeg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
SHD wrote:
No, the authoritarian system it's commenting on is presented as Kansai under Kantou's rule upholding their power using the Executioners, giving them a license to kill as they please..

It's almost funny that you still repeated the actual argument against cops while pretending it's not about cops. Cops being able to kill with impunity *using the laws of the government* is a structural problem with cops having too much authority. Congratulations you're like 90% of the way to understanding the argument that was being made.

But the point is that you need to add that qualification: of being “able to kill with impunity using the laws of the government”. The show is definitely against that kind of power, but that kind of power isn't an inherent property of police forces everywhere. Instead it's a property of police forces under an authoritarian regime, or at least a regime that takes an authoritarian approach to policing (if there's a difference). Of course, not many regimes self-identify as authoritarian, and it's not a binary thing.

The show's politics seemed to me too to be against authoritarian government first and foremost. It's hard to say that it's anti-police independently of that, or that it treats having a police force as inherently and repressively authoritarian, given that there was no exploration of police operating under a regime that had even vaguely-functioning checks and balances. (One of the best bits of satire was how the regime pretended that there was a token separation of powers between the police proper and Executioners, even though the chief of police was entirely under the Executioners' thumb.)

Maybe it seems nitpicky, but coming from a country that has a mostly unarmed police force, the distinction does seem important.

Great show though. The tower scene from the final episode was my best anime moment of the year. Enjoyed the reviews too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6