• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Big West, Studio Nue, Harmony Gold Agree to Global Distribution of Macross, Robotech

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kae kurono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome & unexpected but which version of Macross DYRL are we getting on blu-ray?
it ain't the perfect edition that's for sure with itano's gore scenes intact.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't care less about the Robotech stuff, glad that finally we can legally have the Macross series!
Dardre

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to reign in my excitement, but have to confess to failing a bit. I want to be able to watch Frontier on (probably) Funimation and buy it on Bluray (without the additional fees associated with ordering it from Japan) so badly.

But another thought crossed my mind: Does this mean that the Macross video games might become available too?
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:

But another thought crossed my mind: Does this mean that the Macross video games might become available too?

On that subject, does that mean Super Robot Wars will be able to put Macross titles in their games again without giving up on international release?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, I know that Harmony Gold will handle the distribution in the US, but are they going to work (as in sub-licensing) with companies that worked on anime distribution like will Harmony Gold sub-license Macross Frontier and Macross Delta to Viz, Funimation, Sentai Films, Discotek, Netflix, or Shout Factory to help set up blu-ray/DVD release for the US market?

What streaming site will get both Macross Frontier, and Macross Delta if they get licensed for US streaming? Will it be Netflix, or Crunchyroll?
Funimation signed a streaming deal for Robotech in 2019 but didn’t do anything with it after the initial announcement. But Funimation was the one who announced the PR for the Macross news and their PR mentions the aforementioned deal, and all of this is tied to Sony’s live action Robotech movie, so I assume Sony and Funimation will handle the dub and physical releases for the Macross franchise going forward. My question is if they make a new dub for the entire franchise what will happen to previous uncut dub attempts like Manga’s dubs of Macross II and Plus? Will they make a third English dub of the original series?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I certainly hope we get a new English dub for the original Macross. The ADV one was pretty lackluster. Just because Mari Iijima can speak English, doesn’t mean she can act in English.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, the international Macross community can come at peace and see better days ahead following that announcement.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Funimation signed a streaming deal for Robotech in 2019 but didn’t do anything with it after the initial announcement. But Funimation was the one who announced the PR for the Macross news and their PR mentions the aforementioned deal, and all of this is tied to Sony’s live action Robotech movie, so I assume Sony and Funimation will handle the dub and physical releases for the Macross franchise going forward. My question is if they make a new dub for the entire franchise what will happen to previous uncut dub attempts like Manga’s dubs of Macross II and Plus? Will they make a third English dub of the original series?

It's possible that scenario could go that way like how Netflix has done a new dub for Neon Genesis Evangelion, or if Funimation can not only do a new dub, but also somehow managed to put the old dub alongside with their new one and the Japanese voice track like how they did it for their release of Escaflowne having both their dub, and Ocean Group dub on their release.

penguintruth wrote:
I certainly hope we get a new English dub for the original Macross. The ADV one was pretty lackluster. Just because Mari Iijima can speak English, doesn’t mean she can act in English.

Well I would like to see that, but I still want the ADV dub to still be included just in case some people may like that dub over a future new one. I watched Evangelion on Netflix, and I'm not a fan of the new dub Netflix has done, and I missed the ADV dub. And I'm not going to re-watch Evangelion in Japanese because I can't stand Shinji's voice in Japanese (I kinda feel more comfortable with Spike Spencer's voice over Megumi Ogata). That's why I want the ADV dub of Macross to still be included with any potential future new dub for Macross, just in case some people may not like the new dub for Macross.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr..............................................Focker."
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:45 am Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
Hopefully, the international Macross community can come at peace and see better days ahead following that announcement.

I can't quite imagine US fans getting as excited as the Japanese fans when seeing a live line-up that included Shoji Kawamori speaking, May'n singing "iteza ☆ gogo kuji Don’t be late" and "diamond crevasse" from Macross Frontier, Megumi Nakajima singing "seikan hikō" from Macross Frontier and a duet of "Lion" by both; Yoshiki Fukuyama and Chie Kajiura as Fire Bomber singing "Planet Dance", Walküre singing "Ikenai Borderline", "Ichidodake no Koinara" and "Walküre wa tomaranai" and Maaya Sakamoto singing "Triangular" (and that wasn't even a Macross concert, but Flying Dog Live held on 2nd February 2019).
Mr March

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:40 am Reply with quote
To say this is a moment no Macross fan ever expected to see is a galactic understatement. Most of us fans have lived our entire lives watching this awful situation rage without end. After a legal war that's been waged for decades, looks like Macross will finally be distributed the world over. What a circus it's been!
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:00 am Reply with quote
Mr March wrote:
To say this is a moment no Macross fan ever expected to see is a galactic understatement. Most of us fans have lived our entire lives watching this awful situation rage without end. After a legal war that's been waged for decades, looks like Macross will finally be distributed the world over. What a circus it's been!
It's quite pathetic in retrospect when you consider that Harmony Gold has always behaved as if Macross wouldn't have existed without them. Big West and Tatsunoko never realistically owed Frank Agrama and Carl Macek anything.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:45 am Reply with quote
omiya, I started watching Robotech, but then There was a Macross/Robotech combo of episodes 1-18 of each series. I bought Macross soundtracks afterwards, because I love movie scores, even though the lyrics are Japanese. I definitely would buy Macross over Robotech. I have gone to Robotech panels at New York Comic Con for years, and I Love behind the scenes/ Spoilers etc
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:11 am Reply with quote
Since this new deal still affirms that Harmony Gold has the rights to Robotech and they can now use the original Macross characters, I wonder if they will attempt to revive any of their failed attempts at making Robotech sequels, like Robotech Academy or finishing up the Shadow Chronicles movies? Or could they go the Voltron route and make their own original American reboot and go for a fresh start?
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:54 am Reply with quote
snake-eyes wrote:
I bought Macross soundtracks afterwards, because I love movie scores, even though the lyrics are Japanese. I definitely would buy Macross over Robotech.

The Macross Frontier music is perfect for the space opera that it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7