• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shangri-La Frontier (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:34 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
To be fair, after all the build up it would have been extremely underwhelming to have the first truly big fight only last a single episode. I fully expect at least another few episodes for the whole fight with several more forms, special moves, desperate plans and more. Anything less and it would not match the challenge of a unique monster. Mind you, given some of the stuff in the OP I do not think that the fight will last for the remainder of the season.

The episode itself was great. The fights were hectic and well animated and even while being put to the limit there were some solid jokes. As for Pencil-gon, she really is going all in with the ludicrous amount of money she is using up in the fight. It makes me wonder what kind of reward you would even get for beating a unique monster, it has to be something way out there to make it worthwhile.

^^I have been wondering the same but IRL there are pro-gamers and if she "came out" as the mastermind to take out the first of the Seven Colossi, that might be a ticket for her given that she probably wants to avoid people who are fans of hers as a model knowing she is a "bad-ass gamer"...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:44 am Reply with quote
Mmmnn....maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think any of the three are driven by a desire for fame as a means of advancing up the pro-gamer ladder, not even the pro gamer. The show has portrayed them as "freaks" (but not in a bad way) who are playing the game the way they want for their own private obsessions and satisfactions.

Pencil Gon has an (apparently) wildly successful modeling career, and if she was seriously trying to garner fame to become a pro gamer, I'm not sure being a notorious PKer would be the way to go about it. Although I don't really watch Esports, so maybe I'm wrong about that.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:55 am Reply with quote
I would agree that the main motivation for Senraku isn't to be a pro-gamer but it's not clear what Oikatzu's main motivation is other than the experience and at ground level it seems Arthur's motivation is personal involvement in Setsuna's story. However, that doesn't mean Oikatzu is unaware that being involved in defeating the first of the neigh-unbeatable bosses of the top game worldwide would boost his career so he has an additional incentive.

And it seems like Authur is bothered at the amount of IRL money she is spending to do this so I would guess she expects to get something else out of all this as well as ST wonders. I doubt her being in Ashura Kai was related and she definitely wouldn't want her IRL fans knowing about her gamer side for the reasons you mention but it's possible that she might keep that secret and develop a dual career as a model and a pro-gamer. As all models know, that money will only last as long as their beauty and popularity (and agent's good graces) do, so a second career is of definite interest if they can swing it. That's my best guess answer anyway if there is one.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
Before any further discussion of the reward becomes relevant they need to win first, which is looking a bit iffy right now. This week was an even more hectic phase of the fight with the horse becoming a mech of sorts and Wethermon really turning up the heat. Thanks to a new helmet and powerful skills Sunraku managed to hold out and even push the advantage for quite a bit (just like him to go for the kill), but then he was faced with a mass spamming of insta kill attacks. Gotta say though, the fight looked and sounded amazing and Wethermon is a very cool looking dude, even when he is crumbling down.

I am curious what were to happen if the mech and Wethermon meet up. As for the after credits bit...that is some intense stalker activity.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Agghh..I could legitimately see this anime having the 3 would be conquistadors getting wiped until next time. Maybe have some unexpected prize or info or other benefit, but still defeated. I think the chances are slim, but I do believe they're there, and now I have to friggin wait another week.

Still, great episode. Kinda feels like the unity between Pencil Gon and Katzo and Sunraku is deepening a lil bit past this temporary truce thing. Hope so, if only because I like the way the three of them play off each other.

My personal hope is that they'll defeat Tombguard and get a lead to some other God-tier quest line that would require the 3 of them to keep working together.

And yup, Psyger-san continues to walk that line between cute crush and stalker behavior. I'm assuming her seemingly sweet nature and innocent good intentions make this a Sleepless in Seattle kind of storyline, and I get a chuckle out of pointing out the stalker like similarities. But if I were just looking at her behavior on paper, it wouldn't be completely illogical for things to take a Misery style scene where Sunraku wakes up bound to a bed while she stands over him with a Japanese sword aimed at his achilles' tendons...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Despite the quasi-chaotic elements (see remarks in the WSR thread) winning this fight I think has always been a foregone conclusion as we know WeatherMan "doesn't know the meaning of "stop"" and ending his and Setsuna's story is integral to the next one "Vorpal Epic". This episode is one of the few that seemed to be too short and I can't wait for the next!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17

Eh, I'm ready for this fight to be over. Hopefully, things will wrap up next week. I also hope that we don't then immediately segue way into another boss fight but I guess we probably will.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Gotta be two weeks. We still haven't really got past the "outlast" scenario, and as he says, that's a pretty poor scenario for a boss fight in a "god-tier game."
I highly doubt that it will go directly into another fight though. This show took most of a cour before introducing the family- its usual pace is very leisurely build-up and now we have a lot of aftermath to go through plus a huge update to explore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:37 pm Reply with quote
@ SM - you are probably correct, but I may have been misleading when I used the term "boss fight." What I meant is I hope we aren't immediately going to launch into Sunraku jumping into another combat situation, with a boss or not.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I've never been a fan of 3-5 episode long fight scenes...especially the ones where the characters stop and dissect everything that's happening in microdetail *while* the fight is happening. As in, someone throws a punch, and some observer explains all the physics and strategic and historical implications of the punch in a six minute dialogue before the punch lands. And then the next blow gets thrown and the anime narrator steps in to explain *Its* counter significance....

But Shangri-la doesn't seem to be guilty of that particular sin as far as I'm concerned. Each foe is different and has its own challenges, the animation is lit, and the show manages to work some character interaction and humor in even during the long fight sequences, so I haven't had any problem with the action packing myself.

It might be a concern when it comes to rewatch value, but I'll just have to see....
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:23 am Reply with quote
In the case of Shangri-La I feel that the long fight is justified. There are only 7 unique monsters/bosses and each is basically a raid class fight. Having that be finished in 1 or 2 episodes would be selling the whole world/concept short, especially since length wise that would only make it a bit longer than any regular old fight/boss.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:30 am Reply with quote
For my money, there is no objective criteria for how long a fight is "justified." If you're enjoying it, you're enjoying it. But I just get bored. In effect, for me, the story is frozen. We're just standing around while animated objects trade punches. I just don't care. There are a few rare cases of where shows can engage my interest with long fights. Demon Slayer is one of them. For some reason, that show has a knack for keeping my interest up even over a long slog. Most don't for me, however.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:26 am Reply with quote
Hoo boy, now that was an epic finale to the fight. It had amazing animation, it sounded great and it was an exciting struggle until the very end. It is no wonder that nobody had managed to beat Wethermon until now, frankly, it makes me wonder what the legit way of defeating him was supposed to be. I am also very curious as to what happens now, I assume that beating one of the seven unique bosses will set some things in motion reward and story wise.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
Edited to cut to the main point for clarification.

Blood- wrote:
For my money, there is no objective criteria for how long a fight is "justified." If you're enjoying it, you're enjoying it.

Well, sure. I'm specifying my own criteria, not proposing a law.

And Smurky, I agree. That self revive maneuver was sweet, and I got a chuckle out of Katzu and Pencil-gon being more afraid of getting razzed by Sunraku for the next 6 months than being wiped out. I do kind of wish that they'd trimmed a few minutes, or cut the Shangri-la theater and moved it to next week so that we could have had a few more minutes to enjoy the afterparty while the scene was still fresh though....

But looking forward to next week.

Last edited by Edjwald on Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that their victory wiill have rather large consequences for the game as a whole (there is that story progress meter for example), so them wanting to do all that in one episode would make sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10