• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Anime License Holy Grail

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fausti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:53 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
AQuin1904 wrote:
I second Violinist of Hameln, especially because the English subs available on the Internet Archive are absolutely riddled with errors. I have to imagine a lot of people ended up with a tenuous idea of what went on in that show as a result.

Imagine when I watched the last episode on fansub tape, and there were "corrections" at the end that noted they'd subbed the main character, Hamel's, name wrong throughout the entire series as "Hameln."

I'm glad to see Lynzee and others champion The Violinist of Hameln. There are still fansubs out there which use the correct names, but that's a discussion offline. VoH is also one of my Holy Grails alongside Nurse Angel Ririka SOS. With Hameln, I actually own the Japanese DVDs to go along with the fansubs. I even own all 37 of the original manga volumes. But Ririka I've never gotten the DVD set (mostly I just forget to look) or its rather short manga.

Hameln the TV version I think is as well-written as it is due to head writer Yasuhiro Imagawa who really squeezes as much drama and tragedy from the storyline. Which is what you would expect from the guy who directed the masterpiece, GIANT. ROBO: The Day The Earth Stood Still.

When comparing the manga to the TV, the manga is incredibly silly for a good portion of the story. But as it goes on, it becomes almost but not quite as dramatic as the TV show. Of course, we do at least get the happiest of endings in the manga. So that is definitely something. The sequel manga is also quite good but abruptly ended due to poor sales IIRC.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:43 am Reply with quote
lilitu93 wrote:
One series that hasn’t been mentioned yet that I’d really like to be license-rescued/fully released is The Story of Saiunkoku/Saiunkoku Monogotari. Geneon had the first season, but they went out of business and no one ever licensed the second season.

I owned the first DVD for a long time before I parted ways with it before a move. I would love for a license rescue on Saiunkoku. The story is great and would fit right in with the other ancient China-themed series we’ve been seeing pop up.
kiuserOPDD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:10 am Reply with quote
I would love for magical girl lyrical nanoha and its sequels to be licensed again. Also the rest of detective Conan!
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:08 am Reply with quote
I don't have any real ancient holy grails I can think of, but Toei's original Yu-Gi-Oh! series and film(which have forever gained the nickname "Season 0", despite being a different series/company) is an interesting watch, covering much of the non-Duel Monster material and stories from the early volumes of the manga. It has a still-catchy intro theme and a unique visual style. Preceding the physical card game, it still spawned a ton of merch by multiple companies during it's short run. I would definitely put money on a box-set.

Besides that, I have to agree with others that the 1999 Hunter X Hunter series/ovas have their own very unique 90's anime quality and style. I personally enjoy the sometimes washed-out look of the colors and the nen ability animation choices.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:11 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
I owned the first DVD for a long time before I parted ways with it before a move. I would love for a license rescue on Saiunkoku. The story is great and would fit right in with the other ancient China-themed series we’ve been seeing pop up.

If you're in North America, the first series is available on RetroCrush, under the name ColorCloud Palace (albeit only in English dubbed form).

Actually, forgot about this title in previous postings. My true licensing Holy Grail would be this series' sequel, which to my knowledge has never been legally available outside of Japan.

Last edited by Key on Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:18 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Dop.L wrote:
Mouryou no Hako
Set just after WWII, this is a mystery story involving a missing girl, a serial killer, a religious cult and secret WWII experiments. Based on a novel by Natsuhiko Kyogoku with character designs by CLAMP.
Came out when legal streaming wasn't that prevalent, took over a year to be fansubbed by several different groups who did a few episodes then stopped, so it fell through the gaps for most people.

Would love it to get the attention it deserves as it's a damn good story.

I'm with you on this. I almost put this down instead of Violinist of Hameln.

Another vote for Mouryou no Hako, here.

Also, the Sengoku tea-bowl series Hyouge Mono (about a warlord who gives his soul to the tea ceremony).

I'm not that keen on the Minky Momo series, but I'd love the OVAs (or movies) to be licensed, particularly Minky Momo and the bridge of dreams.

And SHAFT's production of Nisioisin's Kubikiri Cycle, even though it's even more talking and less action that Bakemonogatari. It's soooo pretty.

PS, just give up and import the Japanese Blu-ray for Angel's Egg. There's only one line of dialogue in the entire film (which is probably why it's never been licensed: a licensor wouldn't be able to justify taking a percentage, even if they did a dub).
Njorl
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see the entire Magical Lyrical Nanoha series released on BluRay. I have the Geneon DVD releases of the first series and A's, but the subsequent seasons and movies have never been made available. I'd also like to see Blood+ re-released on BluRay. I have a DVD set that's missing one of the middle DVD's. It was one of the few titles licensed by Sony and if they still have it, it should be easy enough to release it through Crunchyroll. Or at least stream it.
Nipasu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:29 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Nipasu wrote:
Tokyo Mew Mew... / Ojamajo Doremi... / Pretty Cure...

PreCure tho, that's still a tough sell. Outside of the only steaming options we got that's on CR, Toei isn't budging giving them proper overseas physical releases if it were to happen. Hopefully one of these days, they change their minds, and that the entire catalog of PreCure eventually comes out on streaming as well as possibly home video overseas.

Just getting a subbed release via Crunchyroll will suffice. Doubt Toei will ever give it a physical release.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:39 pm Reply with quote
With one of the last big-box stores Best Buy giving up on DVDs and Blurays, shortly after Netflix mailed the last DVDs to subscribers, prospects for physical media rights become dimmer
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Sexy Commando, of course.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:16 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
With one of the last big-box stores Best Buy giving up on DVDs and Blurays, shortly after Netflix mailed the last DVDs to subscribers, prospects for physical media rights become dimmer

I have come to accept that 90% of anime will become lost media. Most of my anime collection seems to be out of print now but no one seems to care.

"Air the TV? We don't need that. Hyperpolice? Never heard of it. Hare + Guu? More like 'Hurry and Gone'""
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Silent Mobius and Seraphim Call. Those would be my two choices.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I have come to accept that 90% of anime will become lost media.

They won't become "lost media", because they aren't lost. They're simply not available on home video outside of Japan, which itself sucks but doesn't qualify as being "lost". Actual "lost media" in anime are the ones in which literally no one knows where the masters are, so it's literally impossible to make them available.

"90% of anime" won't become stuff like half of the episodes of Big X, for example.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:11 pm Reply with quote
1) xxxHolic Kei and all of the OVAs. I'm still sad that these were never licensed. I love the dub cast, but I would be fine with a sub only release if it meant finally having these on my shelf. They're all good, and in some ways, better than Season 1. But it's also a shame in the case of the Shunmuki OVAs because we did get releases for the connected Tsubasa Shunraiki OVAs, and that bit of extra context from those OVAs would've been nice to have in the watch of the Tsubasa OVAs.

2) Hunter x Hunter 1999. Like others have pointed out, these are some pretty good OVAs from what I've seen, but they have been out of print for so long. I'd probably love a relicense with the dub cast from the 2011 series, but even without a redub, I'd love to be able to own them without paying an arm and a leg.

3) The Glass Mask 3-episode OVA & the 2nd half of the Glass Mask 2005 anime. The OVAs I haven't seen, but would like to. But the real crime is the 2nd half of the 2005 anime being unreleased in physical form. I am glad that, despite that, we did get a physical release of the 1984 anime, but still. I'd even take a reissue of the 1st half and would even double-dip for it if there was ever a complete series collection. I just want to own the entire series on DVD, not just half of it.

4) Shugo Chara!. I know CR has it all for streaming, but it'd be nice to own it on physical media and hopefully with a dub. It really does surprise me that this never did get a physical release, given its popularity back in the day.

5) Durarara!!. Another series I'd love more just to get physically because of how costly it is. I did get lucky and snag up the 1st season for relatively cheap a few years ago via the three digipaks, but the 2nd season is way too much.

6) Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure. I own the original singles, but would love a cheaper complete set. This one has also been out of print for a long time, and definitely a pick more from nostalgia and wanting others to have the chance to enjoy it than something I want more for myself.
Regalli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Nipasu wrote:
Tokyo Mew Mew - 4Kids only dubbed the first 26 episodes, and lord did they play around with the canon. Unnecessary plot and character changed made plot holes, and Episode 122 was made into a pilot episode that had nothing to do with the other 25 episodes. Even the fan subs for TMM aren't great; they have major translation errors.

Ojamajo Doremi - 4kIds dub only reached the first season.

Remaining Pretty Cure content - Especially for Smile and DokiDoki, as their dubs do not pass as good alternatives. It'd also be nice to see the seasons licensed to Anime Digital Network get licensed to Crunchyroll, and Crunchyroll Europe can bring the newer seasons to Europe.

PriPara Seasons 1 to 3 - Why is the fourth season licensed?

Candy Candy - If ever possible, I would die if this classic 70s series got a Western re-release. Just finished watching it, and it was definitely worth it.

Thirding the Tokyo Mew Mew/Ojamajo Doremi/remaining seasons of Precure. (It's especially jarring that Crunchyroll has Futari Wa but not Max Heart, and now that we're getting a sequel to Yes 5 I'd VERY much like a legal way to watch those seasons.)

TMM and Ojamajo Doremi were very much my gateway series (good old 4Kids,) and I'd desperately like to have them available legally in full.

And eagerly awaiting A Place Further Than The Universe's release and dub. It's a great potential gateway series in its own right and I can't wait to inflict its emotional devastation on people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9