• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DreamWorks to Make 3D Live-Action Ghost in the Shell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
They'll probably change the setting to America, it's not like the fact it's set in Japan is of any particular importance. You could change all the country names in GITS and the difference wouldn't be very noticeable. It's not like they ever refer to uniquely japanese themes.

I'm just hoping people don't see it as a matrix ripoff

Also Summer Glau FTW
z7q2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I heartily approve, if only for the fact that this being successful might help push the live action Eva movie a little closer to reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pi8you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I can actually see Summer Glau doing the part. I'd just have to look past her body, which is smaller and less... Curvy, than Motoko's, and the fact that she seems to young for the part. Of course I have no idea what Motoko's age is so......

Its the age part that pushes me against Summer the most, Motoko comes off(to me) as being at least somewhere in her mid-30s
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Anyway, DonQuigleone brought up a good point about the original movies actually being very different from the manga. I haven't read the manga yet (I'll get around to it, I swear! Stop staring at me! -shame-), but from what I've heard and from my past experience with Shirow manga it's a lot closer to SAC in atmosphere; the extremely serious nature of the movies was entirely the work of Mamoru Oshii.

Both the first movie and the TV series have plot elements that were in the original manga. And both of them have elements of the original manga that are unique to them, as well as ones that are divergent from the manga. So in a sense they are both very correct, so I wouldn't say one closer than the other. Innocence on the other hand, is almost totally from the mind of Oshii and I don't expect that interpretation will be used.

On another note, if they do decide to work the script from a manga, I hope they use GitS 2: Man-Machine Interface. Anyone who has read it I am sure will agree that that will unequivocally own all other versions in terms of making a 3D movie. Seriously, that would be a huge trip. Only problem with that is that it would proably be to long, and that there is a bunch of technical dialog(moreso than any other of the works) that would need to be either simplified or skipped all together. Still though, that would make an incredible 3D movie if just for the visuals alone.

Big Hed wrote:
I always thought that the highly sexualized nature of Motoko's outward apperance was central to the themes played out in GitS, both in the movies and SAC.

I wouldn't say it was central. It's a very important element to be sure, but I would use almost any other word besides central.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Age is the issue here, and also, Summer Glau is very young-looking in general, I find. However I'm pretty sure that Motoko is no older than 31-32 as of Solid State Society, and possibly younger.

Dargonxtc wrote:

Big Hed wrote:
I always thought that the highly sexualized nature of Motoko's outward apperance was central to the themes played out in GitS, both in the movies and SAC.

I wouldn't say it was central. It's a very important element to be sure, but I would use almost any other word besides central.

True, that might best be rephrased as 'important', since GitS covers a variety of issues fairly evenly.

As for adapting Man-Machine Interface for this movie, I think that would be a very interesting movie; however, for an initial venture with GitS, I don't think it would work. As you stated, there is a lot of very technical dialogue in the story, and I think its later stages would be difficult to adapt for mainstream western appeal while still retaining the essence of the original content. After all, Man-Machine Interface's conclusion is the very essence of Deus Ex-machina, no? Very Happy

I do agree though that a lot of the action/plot elements earlier on would be really cool though to see adapted though. But I'm guessing that Spielberg will stick to the first movie/original manga or SAC.
Feniks9174

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I really want this movie to be great, but the fanboy in me has already condemned it to failure.

There's just so many ways it can go wrong. Make it too action oriented and it's not GITS. Make it too wordy and the pea-brained masses won't bite. The major needs to be introspective, but not emo. Calm and disconnected, but not wooden. A bad-ass, but not a Michelle Rodriguez type "tough-girl". Plus, I really don't know if I can deal with a Major that doesn't have the english VA's voice. On top of everything, she needs to be athletic and acrobatic, something, after seeing two Underworld movies, I really don't think Kate Beckinsale can pull off.

I'd be more at ease with this if Spielberg had a personal involvement, but it seems like he's just pushing Dreamworks to greenlight it.

As for the hair, wierd colors can be done really well with the right approach. I was at a tattoo convention a couple years ago and there was a girl there with fairy wings tattooed on her back and blue/green hair. The hair wasn't obnoxious colors, but it was softer with little bits of purple pulled through as highlights. It really looked awesome and it didn't look like a punk rock type color. I think if they avoid an obnoxious and loud purple and make it darker and softer, it can look great.
DumbBrunette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm a lurker by nature but no one's mentioned my top choice for the major, so. . .

Katee Sackhoff. Yeah, hair color is off, but a little dye job and in my view she's perfect. Capable actress, right looks, right voice.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I think that setting wise it's going to be futuristic cyber punk anyway, but how the location is presented will make a difference. They could have a futuristic America; we have had movies in the past that have seemed to do just fine, like Blade Runner. I think that Blade Runner and GITS have similar elements to certain things within their own respective universes, so they could set it here in the US. Japan would be preferred though.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I agree, the Major's hair color shouldn't be too difficult to recreate.

As for the extent to which Spielberg will be involved, I rather got the impression that he will be personally vested in this. I sure hope that's the case.

And of course, that list of criteria you posted needs to be taken into consideration, Feniks. "Introspective but not emo" being one of my particular points to be watching out for.

Add: Yeah, the similarities between Blade Runner and GitS (Proto being among the first that comes to mind) prove the latter could be successfully adapted I think. I'd prefer a Japanese setting as well, although I'm not goint to complain if we get to see a new perspective on future New York/Los Angeles.

Last edited by Big Hed on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Feniks9174 wrote:
There's just so many ways it can go wrong. Make it too action oriented and it's not GITS. Make it too wordy and the pea-brained masses won't bite. The major needs to be introspective, but not emo. Calm and disconnected, but not wooden. A bad-ass, but not a Michelle Rodriguez type "tough-girl".

I think you've hit the nail on the head here; I was trying to figure out how to express the subtlety of GitS in one of my earlier posts, but I couldn't quite figure out how to put it. There are just so many delicate balances that need to be kept with the storyline and characters that I'll be amazed if they pull it off.

Also, I think the point about Motoko's age is interesting. I've always seen her as being about 30-32, which will make her a bit of an oddity as far as action movie heroines are concerned; usually they're in their mid-twenties. In addition, when you stop and think about it, Motoko isn't supposed to be strikingly beautiful or anything; she's just a generic model cyborg, as far as her facial features are concerned she's actually kind of plain and mannish looking. Most of her beauty comes from her personality and the fluidity of her movements. Therefore, we don't really need an actress who's smoking hot or anything; mildly attractive and able to act the character well would more than suffice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Elfen Noir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
For an actress, what about the obvious? Mary Elizabeth MCGLYNN
She's the voice, she's gorgeous looking from her photo, give her the right dark haircut and she's Motoko. She's going to have a small part in an upcoming 2008 movie called Quality Time, it'll be interesting to see her 'full-bodied' so to speak and see if she could cut it visually.
Sutibaru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the similarities in GITS and Blade Runner were near perfect. I hope they achieve an atmosphere similar to that. As Makoto, I hope the actress isn't too well known. I hate it when they hire actors or actresses in order to sell the movie. Find someone who fits the role, not someone well known.

Maybe her boobs will be the cgi. lol
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:

In addition, when you stop and think about it, Motoko isn't supposed to be strikingly beautiful or anything; she's just a generic model cyborg, as far as her facial features are concerned she's actually kind of plain and mannish looking. Most of her beauty comes from her personality and the fluidity of her movements. Therefore, we don't really need an actress who's smoking hot or anything; mildly attractive and able to act the character well would more than suffice.

Actually, that's not exactly true. Motoko chose to retain all the physical traits of her old body after her initial limb replacement/augmentation, and she's pretty explicit about this towards the end of SAC (can't remember exactly where). So she isn't really a "generic model cyborg", beyond the fact that she is almost entirely biomechanical in physical composition -- of course that in itself is important to her character.

As for her traditional beauty, that's subject to opinion, I guess -- I always thought of her as a serious babe, and there are points throughout GitS that lead me to believe this is the case. But indeed, just as much of what is attractive about her comes through in her persona and acrobatic capability...So again I'm led to thinking about the difficulty of casting her, heh.
kamRA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:

I'm just hoping people don't see it as a matrix ripoff

didn't the Wachowski Brothers show GiTS to their movie execs and said "we want to do this in live-action..." when they were pitching the Matrix?

i feel like the Matrix wasn't really GiTS in live-action, but many elements were borrowed... which is cool for GiTS and since Matrix 1 was such an epic movie... I'm not one to complain there.

I admit, however, that this news article has sparked me to:
A.) create an account here... yes!
B.) cautiously await more news on this movie. If the cast is right, especially the principals like the Major, Batou, etc., it could be awesome!

i'm hoping for the best, but will be prepared for the worst. lol.

also... looking forward to learning more about the site.
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Ridley Scott nees to direct this movie, it would become epic!!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10