• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vampire Knight Guilty.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, basically, either one she chooses it'll be spoiler[her "brother."] Laughing
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
Ha, that is true in a sense. The more and more I see of this, especially in light of this week's episode 9, the more I'm convinced that Yuuki will be alone by the end of this tumultuous tale.

Okay, so actually a lot of stuff DID happen in episode 9. Yuuki just took a spot on the backburner. An interesting development emerged with Zero, though! Eh. I'll get to that later. First off, the continued convoluted conspiracy, whee.

Rido is apparently a spoiler[Kuran pureblood, the older brother of Kaname's father, Haruka. Rido wants to consume the other purebloods and become the strongest vampire evah, to lead the disjunct council in a violent bloody rampage against mankind. Apparently, Haruka holds enough influence with the council to have Rido detained for his radicalism, but they let him go, because, let's face it, they're starving vampires. A human killing spree under a powerful pureblood leader? Heck yes!

This consumption of power is presumably why Rido took Haruka's firstborn child, but there could be other reasons. (He almost certainly ate or enslaved him. Creepazoid.) Whatever the case, Kaname may or may not be Haruka's actual son, it's still unrevealed as to why he is the reincarnation of a great Kuran ancestor. I'm still a little lost there. What I do know is that Rido is responsible for reincarnating the Kaname-cestor, and is therefore his master. That means no matter how strong Kaname is, he cannot kill Rido. Even if he absolutely forced himself to, it would only result in his imminent death (as Zero has proved,) and that's a big if anyway. He opted to blow Rido into snowy pieces instead, knowing that it wasn't enough to kill him, but just to keep him at bay for a while.

We know that after that he took a brainwashed Yuuki to Cross Academy and took up residence there in order to foster peace between human and vampire. But did he really? There seems to be some kind of deal between him and Kaien Cross involving the arrangement itself, but Kaien is still an enigma, so no telling what that is.

The plan now seems to be to revive Rido through the superpower of Kaname's blood in order to kill him. Yeah...that...makes sense. No, it doesn't, but I'm sure it will eventually. The Vampire Council, of course, is eagerly awaiting Rido's return, but surprise of surprises, so is the Hunters Association! WTF, mate? Well, I guess there's some nastiness to the hunters when you think about it. Their entire line was born of a group of humans who ate a vampire and gained the ability to use weaponry that would defeat them. As a result, if a vampire hunter has twins, they behave like vampires in the womb, attempting to overpower and consume one another, and ending up only stillborn. Ironic, but very very fitting. Zero and Ichiru are landmark exceptions to this, and it may be due to their great love for one another...that turned to a great hatred born of jealousy and betrayal.]

Now, speaking of Zero, I think he's a real hero for sure, albeit one in deep depression at this point. At first I was shocked and upset that spoiler[he would so quickly point a gun at Yuuki, but it turns out he was fully justified in doing so. He is, after all, a vampire, even if it's the worst vampire package deal you could end up with. That means he can sense the power of the purebloods, and when he felt Yuuki approaching, he felt that extreme power and harsh contempt for humanity and reacted accordingly. He was perhaps too cruel in how he addressed her, but he always has been callous, that's nothing new.

Yuuki's response to him, however, is what's heartbreaking. He tells her that all he feels when she approaches is all these horrible things and Yuuki basically responds, "Brilliant. You're right to fear me. The Yuuki you once knew no longer exists. The vampire inside has eaten her." It's unclear whether this is true (No! I feel like Yuuki's dead!) ...or perhaps not. I think it's a bit of both. I think she is a different person now that she has become a pureblood vampire, but at the same time, I think she intentionally buried herself as human Yuuki when she said that because she was so hurt, and felt that it was more true than it was. As evidenced by her reckless escape from the dormitory and her crying in the forest. Aidou informed her that purebloods do not cry in front of their servants, and Yuuki rebukes him: "It would be a sin to hide these tears and these feelings." She's fully vampire, but she still remembers completely who she was as human Yuuki and mourns that she has unintentionally betrayed Zero. "I'm scared. Vampires will eat me" indeed! Yuuki's recurring fear has become a reality. It's not so bad for her, but it's brutal for the one that loves her. (Well, one of them. I'm sure Kaname's thrilled.)]

Unfortunately, whether it was true or not, it was not a great thing to say to Zero. He starts spoiler[freaking out big time. Protecting Yuuki was the only thing that kept him going, and to make matters worse, now that she's awakened, her pureblood juices (of which he gorged himself on for an entire season, you may recall,) combined with Kaname's AND Shizuka's, are waging war on his frail little D-level vampire body. It's got to be crazy trying to handle that much power and act halfway human. He goes into full-on super-vampire mode, and, (where have we seen this before) tries to force Yagari to kill him. Of course, Yagari just happened to be in town to carry out the Association's orders, which were to imprison Zero for his safety and that of the hunters. After all, the big smackdown between hunters and vampires has just gotten intense, and Zero is a wildcard, especially in his emotional state. At least that's what Yagari thinks. I'm betting the real reason Zero's been imprisoned has something to do with the fact that he's a vampire hunter-vampire with the power of three purebloods floating around in his veins, which the creepy Association leader (I think it's a man...a gay man, maybe,) has expressed great interest in.]

So that's it in a nutshell. If I had to make some wild predictions up front, though, it would be that spoiler[the baddie is defeated, and Yuuki ends up in some position to set the council and association straight as the ultimate intermediary between human and vampire. Kaien Cross becomes head of the Association and reveals more important aspects of his past that explain his connection to Kaname. Kaname, by the way, dies. I will be shocked if he doesn't. Zero is a wildcard, as I mentioned before. He may or may not die, but he's going to see some action soon, and who knows, he may get some superpowers and go a little nutso! Woo! One thing's for sure, he'll "absorb" Ichiru in some climactic battle (whatever that means) and be pivotal to defeating Rido. If he survives the feud, he will make some moderate peace with Yuuki and go off with Yagari to investigate something or secure negotiations with outlying vampire factions (with violence!) and get his head on straight.]

Beyond that, gosh, who knows. The first season of this show was horribly predictable, but this one is not.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
Nice to see a detailed response, JesuOtaku. Yeah, what Yuuki said to Zero at the door pissed me off, too. Zero was mean to her but still, that was harsh! But afterwards she did seem to regret it.

About Zero, he didn't get to drink Shizuka's blood butspoiler[he will get it when he "absorbs" Ichiru. And then he will get some super powers!] I just hope he can get his head on straight and make peace with Yuuki and Kaname. Right now, he's really upset with both of them.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Just saw ep 10 Raws! I'm a tad worried though. The anime has been a little different from the manga but so far, it's kept to the same storyline. The thing that has me a bit worried though, is that at the end, spoiler[Yuuki took the gun Zero gave her to kill him with out of the drawer, which seemed to imply that she intends to kill him. However, I don't remember her doing that in the manga.] Of course, some Kaname-loving @**hat in the comments section tried to imply that Zero would die in the next episode. Which he doesn't, or at least not in the manga that doesn't happen.

One thing, I've been wondering about though, what does spoiler[Kaname intend to do to Zero after he has him kill Rido? Kaname has already mentioned that his blood can't save him from Level E. Does he somehow know that Zero will eat Ichiru and gain Shizuka's power? Or does assume that Zero will (hopefully) kill Rido, continue his descent to level E and then destroy him?] Anyway, I'm going to start a Vampire Knight manga discussion thread in the manga section. I think the only thread there focuses mainly on whether or not VK is a good read. And marie-antoinette sometimes mentions it in the Shojo Beat thread but I don't think there's a thread dedicated only to the plot.
siken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I have a question because, I'm wondering a little. I don't remember which episode I saw last (not good with numbers) but, since spoiler[ Zero has fed off of Kaname and Yuuki... Does this mean he will become a pure-blood or.. what?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
No, I don't think so. From what I understand, you have to be born one.
siken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Should "anything" happen to a Level E like him though?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
siken wrote:
Should "anything" happen to a Level E like him though?

Yes, according to the evidence presented in episode 10, he's getting some superpowers. (Yaaaaaaay!) He's not a pureblood, per se, but he has the strength of THREE purebloods inside him and the power of 1.5 hunters. He's VERY strong. So even if he's a rank D vampire, he's leeching off the powers of the best and brightest, making him as potentially strong as a pureblood with a more human bent.

I'll talk more about episode 10 in a pinch, but it looks like a whole lot of stuff is just waiting to happen, and hasn't happened quite yet.
siken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the response ^__^ I would hope that Zero would get something out of it lol. The last episode I saw spoiler[Where he "felt" both of them inside of him]made me asked.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Just saw ep 10 sub! Yes, Zero is the "vampire knight"! I knew it! One question though, what the heck was Shizuka's ghost talking about? Anyone know?

Also, I was relieved to discover that Yuuki took out the gun Zero gave her because she couldn't use her Artemis. spoiler[But she will be able to soon!]
siken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Just saw ep 10 sub! Yes, Zero is the "vampire knight"! I knew it! One question though, what the heck was Shizuka's ghost talking about? Anyone know?

Also, I was relieved to discover that Yuuki took out the gun Zero gave her because she couldn't use her Artemis. spoiler[But she will be able to soon!]

So if Zero is the spoiler[Vampire Knight] what will become of his brother? Does he die? According to the curse one of them are suppose too. In some wierd way I think it will be Zero.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Nope, it won't be Zero. Remember in the last scene of ep 9 where Rido was covered in blood and Ichiru was nowhere to be seen? However, Ichiru isn't dead yet but he soon will be! That is if it's like it was in the manga.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I always knew what the title meant. I mean, it's really obvious from the first time we see Kaname using a chess set and learn that Zero is both a hunter and a vampire. But I was hoping they would say it in the series at some point.

rinmackie wrote:
spoiler[Nope, it won't be Zero. Remember in the last scene of ep 9 where Rido was covered in blood and Ichiru was nowhere to be seen? However, Ichiru isn't dead yet but he soon will be! That is if it's like it was in the manga.]

That's what I thought happened, but I didn't really want to believe it because I thought spoiler[Zero was supposed to kill Ichiru, not Rido. If he's barely alive, though, he'll probably just go to Zero and beg him to end his misery without a fight. (Darn, I wanted a fight.)]

Dang, that also means that Rido spoiler[possesses some of Shizuka's blood.] Shocked

As for rinmackie's concern about Yuuki spoiler[picking up the gun, something she did not do in the manga,] consider this. The manga isn't over yet, right? But the anime is ending in exactly three episodes. It will probably be a little different from the manga, which is perfectly okay. I'd hate for it to just end exactly where the manga has currently stopped. That's called a "manga commercial" anime and it sucks. This will most likely be more conclusive, and, as such, I'm under the terrible impression that spoiler[both Zero and Kaname will die soon! Shocked Well, at the very least, Kaname will die. That much is certain. If not a "literal" death, Yuuki's inevitable rejection of him is going to cause a drastic change in him, which is a death of sorts. This is only emphasized by Shizuka's haunting words.]

The scene with Shizuka is a little confusing, (her ghost is a bit delusional, isn't it?) but I think this is the main idea: spoiler[Shizuka, if you recall, asked for Yuuki's blood in return for Zero's freedom. She also seemed to have...a thing...for Yuuki. This scene makes it clear that she KNEW who Yuuki was and held a deep deep affection for her. She's making that clear in her final words. An odd confession. She tells Yuuki that she wanted to forget about vengeance if only Yuuki could have been her love. But since that could never happen, she didn't so much mind dying. (she seemed complacent about it during her death scene, didn't she?)

"That," she says, "is what love is to a vampire." (Vampires are beasts, if you recall, true Anne Rice romantic demons.) For vampires, love is about consumption (like everything else). Vampires are slaves of the flesh. True love, for them, would be offering their bodies to another vampire. Since she couldn't have Yuuki's body, in her death she said it was worth it to offer her flesh to the ones she loved. (She left it behind for Ichiru.) Yuuki finds this idea chilling, and it fills her with hatred and pity for Shizuka, which she expresses. Actually, this entire episode is filled with Yuuki's mourning her vampire nature the more she learns about it.

And who should she wake up to see but Kaname? Kaname who loves her as a vampire loves: possessive and passionate. He tells her to stay there and ignore the troubles outside. "I endured 10 years without you. Do not do that to me again." He loves Yuuki the vampire, but Yuuki the human is beginning to resurface and she feels obligated to protect the innocent. It's not made clear what she thinks of Kaname and their relationship yet, but Shizuka's eerie last words are clearly being compared to Kaname's own feelings for her.]

Does that help? Confused
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I guess so. And I am beginning to think that maybe Kaname will die. But whatever happens, I hope Zero lives. He deserves a happy ending, poor boy!
siken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote
I love zero but he always came off to me as an emo boy Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9