• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Note (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
After finishing the manga a few days ago, I also finally finished the anime about an hour ago. And I have to say, despite most of its accuracy, I really disliked the ending.

spoiler[ It seemed so much more fitting for Light to die a death he deserved. But in the anime, they make it seem so bittersweet and tragic instead, something he definitely did not deserve.

I felt the anime ending was kind of an alternate twist on the two-sided opinion one could have of his role as Kira. You could either see his actions as good and helpful; stopping wars, eliminating "evil" and trying to create a safer place for the weak.

But then again, he is killing people, and rather than doing what's right, people aren't doing anything instead because they don't want to face the wrath of Kira, especially if Mikami was present, but I'm sure Light probably would've killed him anyway.]

spoiler[ Personally, I'm more anti-Kira, as I don't like the idea of a single entity controlling who's "worthy" of living and dying. Granted, it's not like the legal system is foolproof when rapists, murderers, and child-molesters are able to get out of prison on parole within only a fraction of their sentencing, and I don't believe in a higher being, but I do believe in the presence of karma.

I know it's cliché to say "what goes around comes around," but I honestly do believe that a person's actions reflect themselves and that their actions will ultimately get their just comeuppance. No, I don't believe it's the will of "God" or whatever, but what happens, happens.

Not to say life is fair and balanced for good people, but I believe that even if the innocent happen to be affected, it only builds upon those who will pay the price eventually. In Light's case, he killed, manipulated, lied, and was even willing to put his family in harm's way. I know it's been discussed in the previous pages of this thread, but as was seen, his actions did cost him in the end, and I believe this to be something like a fact of life that people reap what they sow.]

Bleh, I think I could've worded that better, but I'm really sleepy right now. I don't know if anyone is still interested in discussing the series at this point since I'm really late on finishing it, but I thought I'd try.

I also made a quick review in My Anime for the series. Gave an A- for art, A- for animation, A+ for music, A for plot/characters, and A+ for voice acting. I didn't even proofread the darn thing, so sorry if it doesn't make any sense when you read it.

I just wanted to get off my chest that this really is a great piece of writing (and more so in the manga), and I'm glad I was able to discover it. I'll get back to this later, should someone decide to post after me, so don't be shy Wink.
Kiracakash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
I definitely agree with you on the karma thing. I was really mad when spoiler[ they killed L, cause although light was getting rid of the bad people, he got rid of good people in the process cause he didn't want to be caught. I wanted Light to have a terrible death so i was a little disappointed but whatever. But bringing Near in the picture made me feel better cause he is alot more like L than Mello is, in his own little weird way.] But unlike you I believe in the will of God but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Your thoughts on the show was great though.
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I was actually kind of disappointed with the way both the manga and series ended in that I had hoped that Mikami would have a much larger role than he did.

spoiler[When Mikami was originally introduced he seemed like a messianic figure whose entire life had been leading up to him becoming Kira the judge of all humanity. He was brilliant, able to act on his own without instructions from Light. To be honest I was hoping the encounter in the warehouse would end with EVERYONE including Light dieing of a heart attack due to Mikami having stored spare pages (remember he found out theese were effective after sending some to Takada). For this to have happened though his character would have had to take a slightly different development path. I was hoping that he would come to realise (like he does after the warehouse incident) that light is no god and that he himself is more fit to play the role of Kira. He knows that Light's power is only borrowed from a real god of death thanks to his interractions with Ryuk. I think that the battle between Light and Near ending with a victory for Mikami would have been an awesome surprise ending. Mikami represents Light's original vision of himself as Kira anyways (non-arrogant judging from the shadows even those who've commited no crimes but do immoral things or squander their talents).]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how the Death Note Special went. I've read that it was mostly just a recap with a few new scenes inserted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
r0derix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
I've heard it was all recap, and with only a few new scenes, most notably spoiler[Light looking at L's grave] Granted that could be wrong, but it's the word on the street.
Vics3020

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I just hated the ending I mean they went for the super extremely complex figth with a very obvius and easy way for kiras win it was givin mikami a piece of death note like the one in ligth's watch and taht would be a certain win whitout the need of a fake note but o well I'm still hoping for the perfect anime to come one day Tengen toppa is pretty close
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I wish Madhouse would stop teasing us, but apparently there was a second Death Note Special that aired in Japan today. From what I gather, though, it was just a recap of the second part of the series, with just a few additional scenes thrown in. However, still no adaptation of the epilogue from the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I've seen bits and piece of the first special and it wasn't that special (pun intended). I wonder if these will be picked up by Viz.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
The way things seem to be going it looks like they really want to do some more but can't seem to figure out how. Suggestion spoiler[ Leave misa dead. I can think of five better ways to do a loyal, slightly narcissistic and almost psychotic female character without it being misa (I personally wished kiyomi and misa had their roles switched) ]
veed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
I was rooting for Light all the way and basically cheered when spoiler[L met his demise at the hands of Light. I really thought that we would get to see the new world Light hoped to create but alas the bad guy never wins.] Glad to see that in the Death Note Special spoiler[it was hinted that the shinigami Ryuk was conversing with could possibly be Light. I guess he earned the right to become one of them.]
Ichigooo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
i just watched death note 15 episodes... and i'm wonder whos the hero and whos evil.. Smile

well... Light killed FBI agents and also want to kill everyone whos against him.. and L want to stop him and his father also said that whos killing peoples. he is a evil...

in my point L is the real hero.. but i dont want L captured him.. Rolling Eyes

but also i'm thinking LIGHT is hero... and main character of the story..

but still i'm confused.. whats ur point of view? whos the real hero?

inn'it L Question
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Ichigooo wrote:
in my point L is the real hero..

Oh, I totally agree. I just re-read Death Note very recently, and Light's actions bordered on downright frightening. Even if you make the argument that Light at the very beginning of the story was not evil and acting purely on a sense of justice (I don't even agree with that), his eventual lack of hesitation to use people and kill anyone who stands in his way definitely veers into evil territory.

In terms of morality, it's fairly safe to say that L is working on the side of good and Light the evil. However, Light is still the main character. As I remember, there was a particular literary term for someone who is the main character but is working on the side of evil. I don't remember what it is at the moment, but I know it's not "hero". It's not "anti-hero" either.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Everyone who isn't Near is evil.

It's that simple.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Ichigooo wrote:

Oh, I totally agree. I just re-read Death Note very recently, and Light's actions bordered on downright frightening. Even if you make the argument that Light at the very beginning of the story was not evil and acting purely on a sense of justice (I don't even agree with that), his eventual lack of hesitation to use people and kill anyone who stands in his way definitely veers into evil territory.

In terms of morality, it's fairly safe to say that L is working on the side of good and Light the evil. However, Light is still the main character. As I remember, there was a particular literary term for someone who is the main character but is working on the side of evil. I don't remember what it is at the moment, but I know it's not "hero". It's not "anti-hero" either.

The terms "Hero", "Villain", "Good" and "Evil" are all based on individual perspective. Each have very thin lines of distinction. From what most people see Light would be the "Villain" and "Evil" but that's based on the conformed views of morality that most societies have developed. In some people's eyes Light is a Hero of Justice, in others he is a mass murderer and evil. How one see's a person is not up to the general masses to decide but for yourself.

Just to be clear though, Light is the protagonist and L is the antagonist. With Light being the protagonist all it means is that he is the main character of the story and that L is simply his opposing force which is the antagonist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Ichigooo wrote:

the author said both Light and L are evil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 54 of 57