• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-05-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Warrick wrote:
This is going to turn into True Romance.

Next episode: Kevin discovers that Megan is a "professional" hired by his friends and coached on what he likes.

Wasn't that last week's Big Bang Theory?

*laughs* I wasn't the only one to catch that? Nice.

But this seems like a good scenario for Kevin. Hopefully, he'll get a break. And hey, I'm a girl and I like old school Gundam. I haven't been able to get my hands on many (my first Gundam was actually G Gundam) but maybe I'll get to watch more in the future. I am going to a convention here in about a month. Maybe I'll look for a good deal on some DVDs. And Macross is nearly impossible to find on DVD, at least for me. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Arctix

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:01 am Reply with quote
she's going to kill him with one of those ridicules yaoi paddles Razz
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
EdoRocksMySocks wrote:
And hey, I'm a girl and I like old school Gundam. I haven't been able to get my hands on many (my first Gundam was actually G Gundam) but maybe I'll get to watch more in the future. I am going to a convention here in about a month. Maybe I'll look for a good deal on some DVDs. And Macross is nearly impossible to find on DVD, at least for me. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Gundam 0079 the series will be hard to find on DVD, but you always can get it in the movie compilation pack along with Char's Counterattack and 08th MS Team's Miller's Report recap movie. Zeta is out on collections, as is 0083, 0080, and 08th MS Team, all are ones you probably should watch before Zeta. Gundam F91 is always easily found as well. If you're opposed to fansubs, you're never seeing ZZ, Victory Gundam, Gundam X, or Turn A. They'd be even harder to release than some of the various Macross stuff, and even probably then only subbed. Shame, because at least some stuff from ZZ is important to CCA, but not fully.

As for Macross, I'm not sure what the deal with the boxset of SDF is, always seems to be sold out, it's also not that cheap. The singles still seem available on Rightstuf, but all together that's still about the same price. Other than that, all you can get legally is Macross II, (the worst in the franchise, as well as pretty much unrelated to everything else except DYRL) and old outdated versions of Macross Plus (apparently the new re-masters make the Manga DVDs into a joke, or so I've heard). If you're opposed to fansubs, you're never seeing 7, DYRL, or Frontier, possibly even Zero.
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
You be Mirai... I'll be Bright... If you like it rough, I can slap you around a bit...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote
Megan has obviously been there before, but at least she gets a free meal. I also suspect she has a martial art skill in case an otaku loses restraint. I also suspect she has an ulterior motive. Wink Keven on the other hand will never live it down, and never forget. So sad.
SD Maruko-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Exactly. No-one's really denying that the number of "nerdy" girls is vastly superseded by the number of "nerdy" guys. Which means that we nerdy guys face huge competition. Also, guys are more likely to be more extreme nerds than most females, further exacerbating the problem.

To be honest, I don't think this is the case.

Anime fandom seems to be split pretty evenly based on my experience. Go to a LARP, or any renaissance fair, or an anime convention, or San Diego Comic-con, or a nerd-targeted movie opening of almost any stripe, and you're going to see the male/female ratio split basically down the middle (depending on the event - like a Harry Potter book/movie launch - there'll be a lot more women than men).

Hell, the last nerd event I went to where it was obviously more dudes than chicks was a Wizard World in Long Beach like 4 years ago.

Some stats the biggest Dutch anime con (www.animecon.nl) printed in their booklet:
Code:
As this booklet goes to print we do not have the exact numbers yet, but as we have already sold more tickets than last year we can see that our public is becoming younger and sexier more girls are coming.

Actually the guys do not really change (do they ever?), but as the girls are on average 3 years younger than the guys the average age goes down.  Last year we had 40% female visitors, this year 46%.   Apparently young girls have found out we are the place to get those older guys!  Go get them girls!

(I'm not responsible for the slightly odd sentence building and the tongue-in-cheek humor above... Wink )
Code:

age ranges:
12-17 years:   
  2008: 21%
  2009: 24%
18-23 years:
  2008: 53%
  2009: 53%
24-29 years:
  2008: 17%
  2009: 15%
over 30 years:
  2008: 9%
  2009: 8%

The girls seem to be way more into the extrovert things such as cosplay and cosplay compo
(heck, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the not too far future most
male anime character cosplays are actually crossplays...)
The average age difference to me suggests it could very well be
that females "grow out of" this hobby more often/at a younger age,
combined with the large female interest in the more extrovert parts of the hobby,
makes me think there _are_ very many more male "nerds" than female "nerds" in this hobby. Neutral
(I think more females at such a con fall in the "creative/art" category than in the "nerd" category...)
Rastage

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quote
Here is what I'm going to do.
I'm going to list bunch of stuff that could happen to the story.
and when one of them happens, I'm going to say "I TOLD YOU SO! I KNEW IT ALL ALONG!!!"

I should be a fortune teller, because I predicted the future. Cool
HJSoulma

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
This is just a generalization, and I mean no offense to anyone in spite of the backlash I will receive, but I tend to notice that nerds/geeks/etc aren't always the most genetically beautiful of the homo sapiens sapiens, or at least as how we tend to define beauty in western and modern terms. There's also the problem of low self-esteem on both sides and usually social awkwardness. My thoughts are just opinions and things I've gatherd myself in no scientific way, but I've also noticed most nerds/geeks have had family troubles and are not part of the upper-middle or upper classes, usually it's the far opposite.

Why is that? Sure everyone has the ability to make themselves look better, but it's only to a certain degree before going under the knife is part of it.

While I would agree with you that most nerds/geeks/etc. aren't usually considered the most attractive humans, I think a lot of that has to do with low self-esteem and, concurrently, poor grooming habits. If you look around, most people aren't beautiful, but rather totally average (hence the term!) and I think the same applies for most subcultures. Yeah, you get a couple like the girl from the yaoi paddle comic a while back, but as for most nerds I know/have met, the ones that most people would consider "funny-looking" just need to bathe more regularly and stop looking at the floor.

However, I would disagree with your statement that geeks have family problems and no money; from my own experience, most geeks I know have some of the nicest families I've ever met, and their geekery comes more from being told "be whoever you want to be and don't be ashamed of it" as a child than any antisocial tendencies brought on by poor parenting. I can't totally comment on the money issue because I don't go around asking people about their financial status, but as far as my closest geek friends go, just about everyone is middle class with a few exceptions (in both directions)-- they wouldn't be able to support their hobby otherwise.

I do think a huge part of it boils down to social awkwardness. It's hard for geeks to meet other geeks because no one wants to talk to anyone of sex they're attracted to, and it seems like most geeks find it practically impossible to talk to someone who's traditionally attractive-- even if that person is a geek themselves. (Or, in my experience, they're TOO forward with fellow geeks who are attractive, ergo scaring them away. Note to guys lookin' for love: Don't have the second thing you say to a girl you meet in an anime store be "Can I have your phone number?" She will run away.) Shocked
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Poor Kevin he's dying. I love his reaction to her saying that she "LOVES" old school Gundam. Hahaha!!!
Love that My HiME is on her list. Better not let go of this one. But why do I have the feeling that this might be too good to be true?
Spikywarkitten

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
This weeks Anime News Nina reminds me of what konata said in Lucky Star:

Speaking of otaku, all the male otakus say, they want an otaku who shares their interests as a girlfriend, or so they say on the message boards, but you never hear female otakus wanting to date an otaku, you know?

When I think of this, I know it wont end well. Crying or Very sad
irishninja

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
HJSoulma wrote:
...why does no one think that there are normal, well-adjusted female anime fans? I mean, in my case I go through life with 90% of the people around me not even knowing I like anime until like... they come to visit and notice all the DVDs.
<__<
Maybe I'm the strange one?

Honestly, I've been wondering that myself. Almost everyone expects a bad ending, when Megan is probably a normal anime female fan? I thought I'd never say this but, not every female anime fan is crazy or has a dark past.

My suspicion comes not from her interests or disbelief in her existence or that she's too good to be true (my fiancee and I had conversations like about anime when we first started dating). My suspicion comes from her lack of reaction to his obvious emotional breakdown. As an anime-loving girl, would YOU tolerate and ignore that sort of behavior from a guy on your first date?
seaechiowai

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Yup, irishninja got a solid point.
The girl is tolerating Kevin's wierd ass behavior, which means she's looking to get something out of him(money, maybe). Plus like I said she accepted a date from a total ass stranger she just met from a shop, kind of fishy why she is so comfortable with strangers like that.

Like I said before, meeting a decent person happens over a long time, not overnight.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:27 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Because, she is a collector, and collectors do not come in flavors like "sane."

really? and what do collectors normally taste like? Laughing
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
ArthurFrDent wrote:
bglassbrook wrote:
Because, she is a collector, and collectors do not come in flavors like "sane."

really? and what do collectors normally taste like? :lol:

Sweat, chese nip and a tiny amount of dandruff.

IrishNinja: Its understandable that Kevin is nervous. In fact, I've never heard of a female fan actually watching Gundam. Let alone enjoying the show. I'd be okay with a little nervousness if the person was genuinely kind and polite.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
You be Mirai... I'll be Bright... If you like it rough, I can slap you around a bit...
Now that's taking fantasy role play to a whole new level of weirdness/intimacy. So far into the deep end and hilarious when Megan gets to be the one who suggested it. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8