• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anti-Piracy Act from U.S. Congress Leaked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
"How about importing the DVDs/BDs if you're so desparate to see it."

I don't speak Japanese.

"As for fansubs being "free advertising", I'm sorry, but fans of an anime in other regions of the world are hardly going to have an effect on whether or not a US company licenses the series."

Thats where you are wrong. Its been said time and time again that companies like Sentai and Funimation gauge the reception from sites like /a/, ANN and MAL to help them decide which anime to license.

"Crunchyroll gets a bunch of series each season. To think you have a right to pirate the shows they don't get, simply because you can't get them legally anywhere else, is bullshit."

Even ANN agrees with downloading stuff that isn't licensed. Just look at their anime previews for each season. A good amount of the stuff isn't streamed or licensed. How do you think they're watching it? And do you refuse to watch anything thats not streamed legally? I doubt it. You're just being a hypocrite.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
This isn't just about anime.

I personally know authors and musicians that really want this bill (or one like it) to pass.

A couple of these people are the no longer creating anything because they can't earn a living at it. They say stuff similar to this.

http://anywherebeyond.livejournal.com/342581.html
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I know this isnt ideal and not all clean , but you can import the DVD/Blus get SRT files from fansubbers and then play the media disc with the SRT at the same time, boom! You got your show with no US version and you fully support the industry.
Relmstein1

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If the distributors can't make a decent profit from what they buy from manga and anime creators, they can not buy from them in the first place, so no-one gets to see the next big title just waiting to be discovered by the world. Yes it sucks that there is no such thing as royalties in Japanese licensing agreements, it's considered rude to even ask, but that's a cultural thing that might be on the verge of changing, but being staunch traditionalists that may take a long time. However creators still make a living, albeit not an easy one, or one with great rewards, but a living none the less, and piracy harms that directly. It's a vicious circle.

I guess the only people who could make the American recording industry look fast and adaptive in comparison would be the Japanese animation industry.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Zac wrote:
Those of us with a working knowledge of how our representative democracy operates aren't particularly concerned with this totally normal event

You missed the point: It's not supposed to be normal.

I'm not sure you know just how many committees and sub-committees that there are that are drafting legislation every day. (Here's a handy list!) It would be information overload to even try to keep up with a single week's worth of bills that are still in committee. Once it's proposed in Congress though, then it can become a center of attention for debate and all that or whatever. But the vast majority of bills never make it out of committees anyway.
streexanime

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
yuetheguardian wrote:
Unfortunatley i see this as no differnt then the paranoia about Radio, and VHS recorders, by recording a movie on TV its going to KILL the movie industry *rolls eyes* i think people are just opposed to things that are diferent and beyond their control, The music industry iskind of the same way, they want you not to play your cd for your friends other wise their stealing that music..

I have a funny feeling that is exactly their reasoning. Past few years several networks have learned to air episodes on their websites or Hulu for free, especially if they wanted viewers to watch season 3+ of anything. People mostly prefer seeing the previous seasons to understand what is happening in the current season, especially with linear story lines.

I'm guessing these companies perfect business plan is that people blindly buy the first season of something without knowing what they're getting into. Only to have the customer take it to a used dvd store when they don't like it or they keep it cause they enjoy it. Either way the company has made a sale. Some companies have bit the bullet and allowed netflix and Hulu to have pay for a subscription for access to whole and previous seasons. ($8 a month isnt bad versus $50+ for ever single boxset you want to buy of a whole season)

Businesses are often slow on how media evolves and fail most of the time to adapt when they need to. My mom grew up when they didn't think the VHS was going to catch on. To me this bill is really about businesses trying to make a buck where a buck can't be made. Sure there are some who enjoy their "free sampling" and buy the product afterwards, but a good percentage will only take it free, cause it's free. I think the businesses would do more to engage and keep the ones who buy after "sampling" versus alienating them by trying to cut them out entirely.
Jetto

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, looks like I stepped on some toes. Nice.

But seriously though, I have been on both sides of this argument. I downloaded unlicensed anime all through college. However, I knew I was breaking the law. It just happened to be a law that no one in the US government cared about enforcing (?until now?).

To be fair this is probably (like most anti-piracy legislation in the United States) aimed at protecting the big shots. Anime licensees will be lost in the shuffle like they are right now.

That said, I am not delusional about what I did. I'm not going to try to justify what shouldn't be justified. If I recorded an album of music and knew that people in Japan were listening to it without any intention of paying for it I'd be pissed. See what I did there? Empathy.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
I think the main purpose of this bill is to stop those from profiting from piracy and less of a purpose to stop piracy as a whole, since the latter is impossible.

DING DING DING!

The problem IS that people have been profiting. The ads put in revenue for the sites and all they had to do was upload another company's work. If I last remember, there was a site that got in trouble for that, was it mangafox?

I totally forgot...there was an article ANN posted about it.

I'm surprised US fansub supporters are complaining about the region locked sites. I have no problem with that, honestly.

I have to laugh at people who dare feel they have the audacity to say what makes you a "real fan". It's really disgusting.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:

If I recorded an album of music and knew that people in Japan were listening to it without any intention of paying for it I'd be pissed.

You're assuming that there are ways of getting it legally. It goes back to regional restrictions, as for some stupid reason publishers don't want to make their product available in your region.
Jetto

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't matter if it is made available or not. That doesn't give you the right to steal (copy, whatever).

You DIDN'T pay. that's the point. Ever heard of the Berne convention?

Quote:
The Berne Convention requires its signatories to recognize the copyright of works of authors from other signatory countries (known as members of the Berne Union) in the same way as it recognises the copyright of its own nationals.

They have no obligation to release this stuff outside of Japan. If they don't, it is still copyrighted, and that means it's not ok for you to download.

Anime fans have it so easy these days. You can pay $7 a month to Netflix and stream an ungodly number of anime shows. You can pay $7 to crunchyroll and watch anime that is airing in Japan right now. LEGALLY. Yet people still torrent. It is actually less convenient to torrent now. I never thought I would hear myself say that.

EDIT: And you can always import dvds. There are ways, you just may not be a big enough fan to pursue them.

And another thing, alot of Japanese Bluray Anime is coming out with English subs on it. It may not be everything, but it's a hell of alot more than there was with DVDs. They aren't cheap, but they are legal.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
"Even ANN agrees with downloading stuff that isn't licensed. Just look at their anime previews for each season. A good amount of the stuff isn't streamed or licensed. How do you think they're watching it? And do you refuse to watch anything thats not streamed legally? I doubt it. You're just being a hypocrite.

To be precise, ANN the website/company has no official stance on unlicensed fansabs that I am aware of. Among the various staffers, individual views differ.

For example, you may have noticed (or not) that Bamboo Dong does not do unlicensed shows for her preview guide entries (at least not in the last few guides, though I'm fairly certain she never did): that's because she has a pretty harsh stance against fansubs, even for unlicensed series. Theron Martin and Hope Chapman have both admitted to watching currently airing unlicensed series using fansubs though.

But despite that, watching unlicensed series via fansubs is still technically illegal. It tends to be overlooked a lot for various reasons though.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Right now, the problem is that piracy is running rampant. It's not that it needs to be eradicated completely. We just need to get a handle on it and push it back into the shadows a bit. If people really really want to pirate they'll find a way. That's fine though. They're the minority. It's the majority that just does it because it's easy. I mean, right now, you can type the name of an anime into a search engine and I bet you'll find a way to pirate it before a way to watch it legally.

When the scanlation aggregator sites were in the news last year, I was quite surprised to see the large amount of people (on Facebook, and other places not dedicated to anime) whose reaction was "Oh no! If those are taken down, I won't be able to read scanlated manga!" Apparently, there's a majority who are only willing and/or capable to find pirated stuff at the easiest and most obvious places, and couldn't even be bothered to look up the actual scanlators or fansubbers sites.

A similar thing happened to American comics. There was a site last year that has uploaded a very large number of scanned comics, and even among the online comics community there were a surprisingly large part who (before it was taken down) said things like "Wow, I spent some time reading these old issues that I haven't read in years", or "People have scanned entire comics? How horrible!"
And my (silent) reaction was "Really? You do know that scanned comics have been avaliable for about a decade now, just not on easily readable websites?"

So, if those major, profiting sites are taken down, I have no reason to believe that while those who really want pirated copies will continue on as usual, the large majority of average Joe's will move on to different things. And while I don't know much of online ads, I would guess that a scanlator who puts up 2-3 manga chapters each months on their blog doesn't make particularly much money on ad revenues.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Now...to throw my 2 cents in.

tuxedocat wrote:
This isn't just about anime.

I personally know authors and musicians that really want this bill (or one like it) to pass.

A couple of these people are the no longer creating anything because they can't earn a living at it. They say stuff similar to this.

http://anywherebeyond.livejournal.com/342581.html

You know, that link is a perfect example of why some of the d-bags that only/heavily support piracy because of stupid excuses like "It's not in my region", "I need to TRY IT before I buy it" should care. Replace the author of that article with the name of a mangaka, or an anime studio, or a licensing company and replace the name of the product and you end up with the same result. I understand why people pirate, hell I do it too, but what I don't understand are the people that think it's their right to do so and that "the owner wont be hurt if I pirate it". Sheesh.

I also agree with one of the above posters about how media has become too easy to access nowadays. Every year the internet becomes more user friendly, for better or for worse. On the plus side this brings millions of websites that may have never existed previously, the negative aspects, in my opinion, are greater however. More and more people are realizing how easy it is to pirate stuff, back in the early 2000's we had piracy sure but it was far less popular. Nowadays you'd be hardpressed NOT to find a person who hasn't illegally downloaded or streamed something. If all the sites that allowed for easy access and viewing of media rather than torrents or direct downloads or IRC were taken down the people using them would either move on to those options mentioned or just stop because of lack of convience.

Not that I'd ever want this to happen but if all illegal anime sites were taken down (an impossibility I know) it would be interesting to see how many TRUE anime fans would remain. The ones that support their hobby and put forth the effort to indulge in it. I'm not just talking about the people who import stuff, because many people can't afford that, but the people who support the industry at home, the people who watch legal streaming, the people who rent or borrow from a library. All legal means of satisfying your hobby, but unfortunately too much to expect from many if not most so called "anime fans". Lets face it, if you don't support your hobby in any way shape or form, you are by no means considered a fan. You are nothing more that a leech, a parasite feeding off others work for your own selfish gain.
Nayu

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Its not nice for citizens to take other peoples property, but its swell for the government to do so.

I guess that clears things up.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
How a discussion about the piracy of unlicensed anime should go:

Person 1: I recognize that just because these shows are unlicensed it does not mean I am somehow entitled to watch them and should they be taken down, I can't really complain. However, so long as they are out there and there's no harm in it, it's nice that fansubs allow me to experience a lot of shows that otherwise would be unavailable to me.

Person 2: I agree. That seems reasonable.

How a discussion about the piracy of unlicensed anime does go:

Person 1: I am ENTITLED TO BE ABLE TO WATCH ANY SHOW THAT EXISTS!!! How dare anyone try to prevent that!!!!!! I am going to get all defensive over any attempt ever to combat piracy including the harmful kind!!!

Person 2: Piracy is ALWAYS EVIL NO MATTER WHAT!!! How dare anyone pirate a show they have no opportunity to buy anyway!!! I'm going to keep yelling about this instead of focusing on piracy that actually causes harm!!!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9