• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Descends from Summit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanachan01

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:48 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:

I don't think anyone ever said that the existing fans would be able to make the show a big hit, but they would have helped. Spitting on the faces of the dedicated fans is not the best way to start out, and as far as achieving that goes, I'd say they did a pretty good job at that by opting for "YO! Don't give it up Luffy!" over the We Are dub.

No company should care about existing "fans" unless there is money to be made off of them.

You soulnd exactly like Al Khan when you say that, you know?

First off, what do you mean "fan"? I'm curious....

Secondly, they should care about the existing fans, because they are the biggest place to get money! The reason Naruto did so well is because not onlu new viewers, but exsisting fans watch it. They make good early money for whening the show is first catching on.

Malintex Terek wrote:
Viz's cultivation of Naruto is in part due to fears of fiscal backlash in response to the One Piece dub; if OP were dubbed by FUNimation, I'd bet my ant farm Viz wouldn't have taken great care in fashioning an agreeable dub.

And I bet they would've. They realize that what I said in my above post is true-even if the show doesn't catch on in the mainstream, the exsisting fans will always be a source of income.

Malintex Terek wrote:
Yashouzoid wrote:

I'm tired of hearing that same bs argument. I don't care if I've seen it from fansubs - I was totally willing to buy it legally through uncut DVDs (I already buy the English manga), and 4Kids continues to deny fans that option. Even if we had the crap dub, I would be able to tolerate its existence if some subbed DVDs were released, but no, 4Kids can't do that, they have to "stagger" the series so that the uncuts can't take precedence over the edits, they have to make sure that their product isn't outperformed by the superior version. And when some uncut DVDs come out, god forbid the distributor make some profit from it, so 4Kids throws a shitfit if they don't get more money and ruins it for everyone. Honestly, they're like the shady drugdealers of anime.

No, you're embarassed at not being able to share your favourite series with your friends like in Junior High, and you are jealous of Naruto's popularity. If such is the case, you don't even *deserve* to call yourself a One Piece fan, as you clearly don't like the series and instead wanted to brag about something you thought was popular.

Am I wrong? Heck no! But if I was, you shouldn't be ranting on an otaku forum and instead move on to other things. Maybe an uncut One Piece will appear someday; but don't waste your life waiting for it.

"4Kids Descends from Summit" is it...well, 4Kids has moved on, but I guess you have not.

No, you are wrong. Don't assume that just because someone watches fansubs, they aren't going to buy the DVD. Sure, there are people who are like that, but most aren't. I know tones of Naruto fans who still watch fansubs, but also plan to buy the uncut DVD, and who buy the manga and both Japanese and American merchandise for it.

Also, why would someone buy a DVD, especially an expensive one(as anime is pretty costly) just because it's popular? Don't people buy whatr they like? Or do they only buy stuff nowadays becaues it's popular? Rolling Eyes

Malintex Terek wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Are you some 4Kids lackey trying to do damage control, or are you just one big 4Kids apologist fanboy?

I work for one of the most popular English One Piece websites on the internet. Do a search for "Malintex_Terek" why don'cha.

I did, in fact. You don't 'work' for them, you are just a memeber of the forum. Razz
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:
DBZ is being released uncut because there's a demand for more of it, much like Evangelion. The dub sold well, but since there's high demand for "more", uncut editions are easy money for FUNimation.

And FUNimation gauged interest for it from the Internet, which is essentially the same medium that's wanting uncut One Piece. One Piece does appeal to a larger audience than say, Shaman King or Yugioh, much like Dragonball did, however it's not being given the same chance as DBZ had.

If the history of DBZ is any indicator, One Piece uncut should take.....a decade to get cracking.
Pegasus J. Craw SL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
Hmmmm what does this mean for the Sonic franchise I wonder? Could Ryan Drummond voice Sonic in the games again?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7