• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix to Produce 30 'New' Anime Series for 2018 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I want Netflix to get a long runner to see what they'll do. Wait til all 500 episodes are out and release them all at once to 'binge watch'? Probably a reason their originals only have like 4-13 episodes. People have short attention spans.

I also have to wonder just how much 'control' Netflix really has. If they were truly creators and in charge, why would they choose to adapt Japanese manga and novels zero people in America have heard of and let Japan air it on their TV first. Do people really think Kakegurui was made for an international audience or are they just fantasizing about what 'could' be made?
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Hey if this means more anime originals or more manga being adapted then all power to Netflix! My only flack with these guys is that when it comes to seasonal anime they do not seem to know what the word simulcast means apparently. Now if they simulcasted a number of shows per season that they had a hand in making then I would finally get a sub for that service.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just myself, but I think the way Netflix labels some of their anime shows as "Netflix Originals" seems to be somewhat misleading...at least to some.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
When I read Netflix is going to spend $8 billion producing original contents, it makes wonder what percentage anime productions will get.

Right now, I'm imagining hundreds of media creators and producers all over the world pitching their ideas to get a share of that $8 billion...
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
When I read Netflix is going to spend $8 billion producing original contents, it makes wonder what percentage anime productions will get.

A perhaps depressingly small percentage of that figure. Even if they were all 100% funded by Netflix Originals, it would probably be less than $100 million, or about 1.25%... Since we know that's not actually true(although in the future it may become more true as they push to have more control over their content, financially), I would put it somewhere between $50-75 million.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
I want Netflix to get a long runner to see what they'll do. Wait til all 500 episodes are out and release them all at once to 'binge watch'? Probably a reason their originals only have like 4-13 episodes. People have short attention spans.

I also have to wonder just how much 'control' Netflix really has. If they were truly creators and in charge, why would they choose to adapt Japanese manga and novels zero people in America have heard of and let Japan air it on their TV first. Do people really think Kakegurui was made for an international audience or are they just fantasizing about what 'could' be made?

They've had a couple of 26 episode shows. They've released those 13 episodes at a time.

Netflix doesn't "control" their shows. They allow an enormous amount of freedom for creators which is why a lot of people want to make shows for Netflix. They're basically allowed to do whatever as long as people want to watch it. What Netflix does is use their analytics to decide which types of shows and what directors would be best. They then either order a show or buy a show that has already been pitched. And then they basically leave the creators alone until the show has been made.

Netflix removed their regions several years ago because they realized that what people were watching wasn't region-based. Kakegurui may be made for Japan, but they know people all around the world will watch it. International subscribers are Netflix's fastest growing area. It makes perfect business sense that they would choose to expand in an area like anime which is something already proven to be popular in multiple markets.

I think the next year or so is going to be a painful growing period where many shows are simulcast in Japan and then released elsewhere but eventually Netflix will move to all episodes of a season released worldwide at once. I think overall it will have a good impact on anime. We'll lose the weekly simulcast and the discussion that comes with that but there will be more money put into anime overall with the increased competition and they will allow for a longer production schedule as well as more creative freedom.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
reanimator wrote:

A perhaps depressingly small percentage of that figure. Even if they were all 100% funded by Netflix Originals, it would probably be less than $100 million, or about 1.25%... Since we know that's not actually true(although in the future it may become more true as they push to have more control over their content, financially), I would put it somewhere between $50-75 million.

This doesn't really make much sense to me. You haven't put forth any kind of evidence that it would only be 1.25% or half of that. If they are going to be putting out 30 shows, they are going to spend more than 50-75 million, especially at the outset. They will want to make a big splash and draw a lot of eyeballs to these new "Netflix" anime shows. I would expect they will spend top dollar to try and establish a lot of big hits to boost subscriptions among anime fans. "Go big or go home" is applicable here. Once they have the new fans locked in, they will probably ease up a little on the budget, but I would expect it will be a lot more than $100 million they will be spending on their full slate of anime. They spent like what 40 million on the live action death note just by itself? They are playing for keeps here.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
reanimator wrote:

This doesn't really make much sense to me. You haven't put forth any kind of evidence that it would only be 1.25% or half of that. If they are going to be putting out 30 shows, they are going to spend more than 50-75 million, especially at the outset. They will want to make a big splash and draw a lot of eyeballs to these new "Netflix" anime shows. I would expect they will spend top dollar to try and establish a lot of big hits to boost subscriptions among anime fans. "Go big or go home" is applicable here. Once they have the new fans locked in, they will probably ease up a little on the budget, but I would expect it will be a lot more than $100 million they will be spending on their full slate of anime. They spent like what 40 million on the live action death note just by itself? They are playing for keeps here.

I've been studying anime production and the costs of projects for a number of years now, so I was basing those numbers off of the averages that we usually see these days, as well as speculation on current streaming license rates. Sorry, I should've noted that somewhere in my comment.
A TV anime from beginning to end, through the production committee system, according to the numbers that I've been able to dig up through interviews, making-of-documentaries, and people who I've had the privilege of speaking to who work in the industry, is typically between $1.5 million to $4 million for a single cour($4m is on the very high side). It can occasionally be more or less, but it's usually within that range. Also notable is that a Netflix project does not typically get a significantly larger budget(if at all), according to people who have worked on their original shows so far. They do however, according to these same people, tend to have longer production schedules. Which is notable. Having a longer production schedule is vastly more important than lots of money in this industry right now, thanks largely to the shortage of people able to do the work. Giving a team double the money with the same number of people will yield the same result, unless you also give them a lot more time.
Anyway, if we're looking at an average 1 cour series being roughly $2.5 million x 30 = $75 million. Considering that not all 30 of these series are entirely funded by Netflix, as stated before, we can assume that they won't be paying the cost of production for all of them. Streaming is expensive, and probably the most important source of revenue for anime right now, but the cost of licensing a show exclusively, like Netflix is doing, is still probably not quite as expensive as actually making an anime(I don't know exactly where it would sit, but my guess is about half of that based on older numbers, that may or may not be relevant, and my own extrapolation from there). Depending on how the contracts work, they could be sending royalties back as well, but I doubt Netflix would want to work that way, if they had the choice.
I guessed high with that $100 million, to factor in things like advertising, multi-cour projects, and even perhaps generous production budgets to go along with those schedules, as well as the fact that they are working outside of the production committee system on some of these, but I don't really think it would be much more than that.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:04 am Reply with quote
So you are assuming average budget, all of them will be single cour, and that they will spend minimal money on marketing? I don't think that would be a good strategy if Netflix is trying to make a big splash and get a lot of people to sign on to their Anime programming. I'm more inclined to believe that they will go with higher budgets on their shows and have some that are two cour. Say they spend 3 million per cour and a third of the shows have two cours. That's already 120 million dollars without factoring in purchasing of rights and marketing. Maybe they won't spend as much as I was initially thinking, but I really doubt it would be less than 100 million.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I don't think that would be a good strategy if Netflix is trying to make a big splash and get a lot of people to sign on to their Anime programming.

As I said before, I believe this strategy is primarily motivated by Netflix wanting to expand its reach in Japan. I doubt they think producing a lot of anime will expand their viewership in countries like the United States. I suspect the number of households that signed up for Netflix just to watch Little Witch Academia is vanishingly small.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
So you are assuming average budget, all of them will be single cour, and that they will spend minimal money on marketing? I don't think that would be a good strategy if Netflix is trying to make a big splash and get a lot of people to sign on to their Anime programming. I'm more inclined to believe that they will go with higher budgets on their shows and have some that are two cour. Say they spend 3 million per cour and a third of the shows have two cours. That's already 120 million dollars without factoring in purchasing of rights and marketing. Maybe they won't spend as much as I was initially thinking, but I really doubt it would be less than 100 million.

Yeah, I assumed/speculated on a lot of things, but they haven't done much in the way of marketing for anime thus far, and I don't think they'll have too many multi-cour projects that they fund themselves from the outset. As I noted, I did factor that in a little bit, but maybe I was being conservative. I hope they are generous and aggressive though, and from the sounds of it, the Devilman project with Yuasa and Science Saru is intended to adapt the entire story-line, so maybe that'll be multi-cour? I have no idea how long that series is, but that would be a good sign(as long as it does well). In the future, if Netflix decides to continue producing anime, they'll probably license less and put more money into each show, but with them licensing a good number of the already announced titles, I don't see them spending all that much more than my estimate over the course of 2018 unless every one of the not-yet-announced titles is a true Netflix original from conception, and they really do go H.A.M. I hope they do. As long as they take care of the people making their shows.
c933103

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
reanimator wrote:

On average it cost about 150-300 million yen to make a cour of anime which translate to about 1.5-3 million USD. Multiply the number by 30.

Another way to look at it is that, in 2014, the revenue of entire Japanese anime industry including all sort of related side business for the whole year is 15 billion USD.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:54 am Reply with quote
Not sure whether I like this or not. I want more anime, but are these being made with passion?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Not sure whether I like this or not. I want more anime, but are these being made with passion?

The good part about it is that Netflix isn't forcing people to make shows they aren't interested in, really. They are simply paying for shows that were already very likely to get made. That doesn't mean the staff themselves was passionate about the project, but it's more or less going to be the same as if that staff was working on any other project within the industry, from the sounds of it. That is to say, some of the team will care about it, especially if it is an original and something they came up with, while it'll just be a job for others who aren't in those creative positions.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Since anime is getting more and more global then the amount of money flowing in will be increasing. It means that over the next several years the volume of late night cours produced will increase as well as the quality of the animation. Well, that is indeed already happening and Netflix is just helping to put more fuel in the fire.

Also, I should add that Netflix is in fact making the world much more aware of late night anime. Before Netflix even if you had cable it was very hard to get a channel that showed anime but now hundreds of millions of westerners have access to about 40 late night anime shows on Netflix. Netflix has noticed that there shows get substantial viewership so they are investing in them. Hence, expect anime to be getting more and more "mainstream" over the next years (although probably it is never going to be like live action TV it will be much more popular than it is now, specially among younger people).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8