• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online: Alicization

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trendo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
crazytoledo wrote:
So if someone is that upset about the episode being censored, instead of lying and creating fake outrage towards Crunchyroll they should be pointing the finger at Aniplex here, since they control what version is available.
Aniplex is also owning Wakamin, which got the same version like japan for germany, russia and france.
Why should aniplex decide to censor the anime even more for the english audience?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Trendo wrote:
Why should aniplex decide to censor the anime even more for the english audience?

You're not paying attention to the details.

The English version isn't censored more; it's the exact same version that aired on most Japanese TV stations. The less censored version was a pay-channel-only exclusive. That's been standard practice for a while now with heavy fan service shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Trendo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
That's been standard practice for a while now with heavy fan service shows.
And like I said, the version for the streaming service WAKANIM was the same version like the pay-channel one
Aniplex is also the Owner of Wakanim
In that case, Aniplex had the license for both versions and decided to release the one from the Channel MX/BS11 for the english audience, but for the german, russia and french audience the AT-X version.
What was the reason for that decision?

There is even a Source for that, because german anime news site are providing the info that Germany and other Country, where Wakanim has the license for SAO, streamed the version from ATX.
I cant post the site, because you call it a "bootleg" which is weird because even offical licenseholder from germany are working with them.....
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Trendo wrote:
Key wrote:
And like I said, the version for the streaming service WAKANIM was the same version like the pay-channel one
In that case, Aniplex had the license for both versions and decided to release the one from the Channel MX/BS11 for the english audience, but for the german, russia and french audience the AT-X version.

If I had to venture a guess, it's because they own a distributor/publisher in America for english content. I wouldn't exactly put it past Aniplex to try bolstering their bluray sales in the US by holding the contract between them and Crunchyroll to the letter and only giving them the broadcast version.... then putting the uncensored version on the blurays.

But that's only really a guess.
Trendo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Trendo wrote:
Key wrote:

If I had to venture a guess, it's because they own a distributor/publisher in America for english content. I wouldn't exactly put it past Aniplex to try bolstering their bluray sales in the US by holding the contract between them and Crunchyroll to the letter and only giving them the broadcast version.... then putting the uncensored version on the blurays.

But that's only really a guess.
That would make sense, but in that case it would be in some way really disgusting to try to boost the sales with such content.
Whatever, i watched the episode on Wakanim (im from france) and it was nothing special. Both versions had the same effect on me, it didn't matter which one i saw, it was a digusting scenes which showed me how gruelsome and f*cked up rape can be but I still prefer the version which was not edited.....not because of the content, but more for the reason to see the same version like in japan for paying money ,
Im only happy about the fact, that SAO did this scene much better than in the Alfheim Arc or the GGO Arc with Sinon.
It was also much much better than the rape scenes from Goblin Slayer, which looks more like "service" rather than a disgusting depiction about sexual violence etc.

Last edited by Trendo on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Trendo wrote:

There is even a Source for that, because german anime news site are providing the info that Germany and other Country, where Wakanim has the license for SAO, streamed the version from ATX.
I cant post the site, because you call it a "bootleg" which is weird because even offical licenseholder from germany are working with them.....

This is only my suspicion, but the reason is probably BD's sales.

Aniplex will sell the disks on Japan.
And also in America using their American subsidiary, Aniplex of America.
Is well know that Aniplex uses the same system in America as in Japan (less episodes by disk, highers prices) so like in Japan they will release a more censored version on TV and on Crunchyroll and will sell a uncensored BD version.
AT-X is a special case in Japanese TV because only they have access to a less censored/uncensored versions of anime in Japan

Even if Aniplex releases less censored versions on European countries, that is because they are not present on BD market on those countries so they don't have worry about release a censored version before the BD's.

Only when American streaming sites release more censored versions than on the regular Japanese TV channels (except AT-X because they are special) and release BDs more censored than in Japan, will we have reason to talk about more censorship than Japan.

Edit
#Animegunclub
You beat me to the punch, I was just writing about that. Cool

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trendo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Even if Aniplex releases less censored versions on European countries, that is because they are not present on BD market on those countries so they don't have worry about release a censored version before the BD's.
That is a very nice info, i never knew that
Thanks for this great answers and thanks for not attacking me. I asked the same on Reddit or Twitter and people called me a Raptist and pedo
Its nice to see that there is still a place where you can talk about things like that without any insults ^^
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The English version isn't censored more; it's the exact same version that aired on most Japanese TV stations. The less censored version was a pay-channel-only exclusive. That's been standard practice for a while now with heavy fan service shows.
I think this is the part that needs to be cleared up since I have seen a lot of people on Twitter, which includes people who live in Japan, say that the less censored version was on several free broadcast channels in Japan which includes Tokyo MX.
Trendo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Key wrote:
I think this is the part that needs to be cleared up since I have seen a lot of people on Twitter, which includes people who live in Japan, say that the less censored version was on several free broadcast channels in Japan which includes Tokyo MX.
BS11 had the same version like CR, i dont know if MX had the same like ATX but even if one channel had the censored version, it doesnt matter.
Also, if Aniplex USA wanted to use this to boost the BD-Sales, which is still a disgusting way, it would make sense to use the one "different" version.
In the end, it doesnt matter because you still got the japanese version but not the one that some other countrys got.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Edit
#Animegunclub
You beat me to the punch, I was just writing about that. Cool

Great minds... Cool
Trendo wrote:

That would make sense, but in that case it would be in some way really disgusting to try to boost the sales with such content.

Ehhh, that's capitalism I guess. If the uncensored is behind a second paywall in japan, it only makes sense that it's behind a second paywall here in America (albeit a substantially more expensive paywall considering Aniplex's BR pricing history). Why wouldn't you try shooting for that extra revenue when anime fans clearly care about this sort of topic?

But Anime censorship doesn't quite bother me unless it makes the scenes visually illegible (cough cough Terraformars cough cough). What was censored in SAO:A didn't detract from the understanding of the scene, so if you're reading this Aniplex... getting more blood splatter visuals is not going to get me to buy the BR release.
Laughing

Last edited by Animegunclub on Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty well known Crunchyroll usually uses a more censored versions of shows. At least initially. I don't really know if they ever go back and update their streams later. Their version of Sket Dance is still censored and isn't like the Japanese disk version, so I guess not, or at least not for that specific title.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
So as someone who's really only popping in because the review's tagline intrigued me, this was, at the very least, one of the least sexy attempted rape scenes I've had the displeasure of watching.

I do think the censoring made some things worse (I initially thought the stomach-licking scene was him licking her crotch area instead), I think the unbuttoning shirt bit was more than a little male gazey (should the audience really be seeing that scene from a would-be rapist's POV?), the raw version has a boob jiggle that just seems wholly inappropriate, given the circumstances, but there was no lacy, delicate lingerie or anything, and the girls reacted appropriately horrified.

Having said all that, I'm always frustrated that rape victims don't attempt to harm their attackers in anime. No biting, no kicking--it's something I think would add a touch of agency to an otherwise powerless situation. This is not, to be clear, meant to be taken as any kind of real life victim-blaming; it's purely because it's animation that I think scenes like this could stand to actually show a lot more struggle involved rather than just squirming, though in this case, I guess you could just handwave it away with "blame the Taboo Index".

Having said that, I'm torn because this feels like one of the few times I've seen rape depicted as an act of power and domination instead of the more sexualized approaches I've seen in the past (*all* that needlessly lacy underwear). But it also feels AWFULLY fridgey, in the sense that this Very Bad Thing focuses more on furthering the characterization of our deuteragonist via shock value instead of the literal trauma it just inflicted on its female side characters.
NGK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Only when American streaming sites release more censored versions than on the regular Japanese TV channels (except AT-X because they are special) and release BDs more censored than in Japan, will we have reason to talk about more about censorship than Japan.

BD release of Tsugumomo for North America is... let’s just say... different, but it’s not 1:1 like the Japanese Domestic Market version as fans would hope.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:10 am Reply with quote
I just got around to watching the ep and I think the sexual assault allllmost works*. I mean, they have to show something heinous being done to drive home Kirito's point last week about how the Taboo Index leaves room for all sorts of evil deeds if sickos can rules-lawyer their way out of, so the threat is totally credible and believable. The problem in the episode is that it just drags on so long, past the point of it being comfortable. Well, okay, subject matter like that is never gonna be comfortable, per se, but there's a point where dramatically you're expecting Eugeo to have his big breakthrough (or for Kirito to smash in like Batman), and then... it passes; and the screams just go on uncomfortably for several more minutes**. The directors/writers could have shortened that time, or filled it up with some other scenes (personally I had thought we'd get a scene of Kirito finding the girls' quarters empty, putting two and two together, and running off to save the day), or even dragged the fight out longer, rather than just having an incredibly uncomfortable wait before Eugeo finally blows out his eye. So close, SAO, so close to making a dramatic scene dramatic instead of creepy or unintentionally hilarious like so many other SAO dramatic scenes.

*if nothing else it works soooo much better than the uncomfortable showdown in SAO1 with Asuna and the Fairy Rape King whose name I can't remember, or the damn tentacle monster, but then those are such low bars to clear.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so- according to the infodump a few episodes ago, the 'Taboo Index' is something that was created by the Axiom Church, which is to say not part of the actual system code, so why is Eugeo getting a system error message? Why is the 'Taboo Index' able to physically prevent him from standing up, let alone taking a step towards people who are crying out for his help, yet it's unable to stop a 9-year-old Alice from casually strolling into Mordor?

Also, being as this is SAO, is it a legitimate complaint that I feel like Kirito isn't OP enough? It's really hard to believe he's struggling with fighting these chumps...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 13