• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vic Mignogna Replaced in Morose Mononokean English Dub Cast (Update)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:27 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
It's looking more and more likely that Vic's last major role is going to be...Bubsy. (I'm not joking. The game's set to come out in April. I guess they could delay it several months to take Vic out, but it seems unlikely at this point.)

Wow, had no idea about Vic being Bubsy. Or that there's going to be a new Bubsy game. I'll be getting this, nothing will stop me from new Bubsy (I think have my original SNES and the first Bubsy game, never got around to Bubsy 2 Laughing).

Aresef wrote:
Monica Rial has more to say, and a request that people stop harassing her on Twitter: https://twitter.com/rialisms/status/1093275331929296897?s=21

This one seems...kinda huge. Wasn't expecting seeing Monica come forward as a victim. It will be interesting to see what she has to say, when she's ready to say it.

Gonna take some guts to "put pen to paper", when Monica decides to lay it all out there. Because, not only will it be something painful for her, but she'd also be thinking of the backlash that will come from doing so. Some people will not react well to it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:09 am Reply with quote
Thought I had today, regarding the complaints over him losing roles because of this.

To preface, I've said before that while I'd heard the allegations about inappropriate behavior (including and especially toward minors), I had never previously seen reports. My dislike of him comes purely toward his treatment of convention staff, which I have personally witnessed and experienced.

From what I have seen, via posts and in the articles, Vic himself is "recognizing" that his actions have made people uncomfortable (to say the least), and claims that he is going to do better. Just for fun, let's compare this to an addict. They've recognized that their addiction is a problem, and say they're going to do better.

What's the first thing that you're supposed to do? Take away their access to their addiction. If it's something that isn't a super-dangerous thing (like drugs), once they're past the addiction, it could be possible to reintroduce the access in a limited form (like, a casual drink of alcohol), provided it doesn't go to far. But you have to wean them off of it first.

As I see it, Vic's problems stem from the idol status he's cultivated among a certain fanbase. And it's the attention from the fanbase that's his addiction. So instead of seeing it as "his career is being ruined," think of it more as removing him from the public eye, to combat his addiction. Roles, and attending conventions to promote these roles, is contributing to the problem. So that needs to be removed so that things can heal (on all sides).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Thought I had today, regarding the complaints over him losing roles because of this.

To preface, I've said before that while I'd heard the allegations about inappropriate behavior (including and especially toward minors), I had never previously seen reports. My dislike of him comes purely toward his treatment of convention staff, which I have personally witnessed and experienced.

From what I have seen, via posts and in the articles, Vic himself is "recognizing" that his actions have made people uncomfortable (to say the least), and claims that he is going to do better. Just for fun, let's compare this to an addict. They've recognized that their addiction is a problem, and say they're going to do better.

What's the first thing that you're supposed to do? Take away their access to their addiction. If it's something that isn't a super-dangerous thing (like drugs), once they're past the addiction, it could be possible to reintroduce the access in a limited form (like, a casual drink of alcohol), provided it doesn't go to far. But you have to wean them off of it first.

As I see it, Vic's problems stem from the idol status he's cultivated among a certain fanbase. And it's the attention from the fanbase that's his addiction. So instead of seeing it as "his career is being ruined," think of it more as removing him from the public eye, to combat his addiction. Roles, and attending conventions to promote these roles, is contributing to the problem. So that needs to be removed so that things can heal (on all sides).

That is an interesting take on it that I hadn't considered, but I can see where it fits. The recent convention video shows him saying that he got lazy and assumed that everyone was ok with it because so many seemingly were. That does sound kind of similar to statements that addicts frequently make that they don't see the problem or didn't see a problem at the time until somebody stepped in to do something.
AsmariaHendrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Like I said in my edit to your post, I'm letting this stay just because I'm tired of seeing this come up, and the more posts like this that show up and then stay for a while before a mod gets to them (and generate replies and get quoted), the more likely it is some users might get genuinely confused. So let's put this to bed.

That's it. That's the conspiracy. A guy who works for ANN but didn't write the Vic articles made a tweet some folks disliked.

And you know the absurd thing? The actual CEO of ANN has already said why this article is happening now. See here for the full post, but I'll quote the especially relevant parts.

Thank you for clearing this up and not deleting it. It actually puts me more at ease and helps me understand the situation. Causing more confusion is not what I wanted, I want to be sure that the things we read here and this Vic situation is coming from an unbiased/not money motivated source. I won't take it more off topic than that, but I truly do appreciate all of the information, even if I feel like figuring out after all this time that one bears responsibility as a news outlet is kind of late. Better late than never.

Aresef wrote:
Consider, again, that none of his peers have spoken out in his defense, but for one who faces an accusation of his own. And no con-runners have come to his defense or affirmatively said "yes, he will be here," but for the guy who runs Anime Matsuri, who has been accused by a number of people himself.

This coupled with the above by Mad_scientist does make sense. Man, this is a minefield to navigate and understand. I really hope that all the parties that interact with Vic and other voice actors in the future can learn to hold themselves to higher standards of accountability when things are reported, or even rumors start up. It really does come down to the fact that all of this has gone on for so long without anyone (In power) doing anything about it.

Ashabel wrote:
Please stop pretending that nobody spoke up about Vic Mignogna until now, or that this backlash against him is some sort of new thing. I get that the alt-right crowd are desperate to paint the situation as such because they desperately need a fictional Shonen Jump Weekly conspiracy that will earn them clicks from their monetized youtube rants, but painting this situation as something new is patently false.

Controversies and dramasplosions caused by Vic's behavior have dogged him for over fifteen years. Anyone who has actually been in the anime fandom for a long time, remembers that the first organized backlash against him and demands for him to be held responsible for his behavior happened back in 2007, when he was cast as Viral in the ADV dub for Gurren Lagann. These backlashes have repeated every time when he scored a role that was so glaringly out of his range that there was no reason he would be cast in it without pulling clout with Funimation executives, such as with his casting in Escaflowne.

The only difference between this time and the previous ones is that people refused to be hushed down this time.

I see how you could think I might believe it's never been brought up before, and if I was unclear about that I apologize, but what bugs me more is that when it HAS been brought up, no one in power did anything and it would die down and disappear. I've been going to cons since 1998, believe me I have seen and heard the entire shitstorm. This isn't new to me. I've known friends and convention staff who were treated rudely by him, heard people speak up about the stories before, and it always just disappears into the void as another Vic rant. Conventions and dubbing companies are the ones that hold the power here and only now is it being this big thing when they should have listened from the start. That's why I'm mad.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
AsmariaHendrick wrote:
This coupled with the above by Mad_scientist does make sense. Man, this is a minefield to navigate and understand. I really hope that all the parties that interact with Vic and other voice actors in the future can learn to hold themselves to higher standards of accountability when things are reported, or even rumors start up. It really does come down to the fact that all of this has gone on for so long without anyone (In power) doing anything about it.

Monica Rial, she says, did try to do something about it. She confronted him. Twice. And you know what happened? Nothing.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
We've said it before in each of the Vic threads, and I'll repeat it again. Keep the discussion on topic. We're not going to discuss what other people have said on twitter. If/when those topics get covered there will be appropriate threads for discussion. While Monica's tweets may be about Vic they have zero to do with this specific topic.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
We've said it before in each of the Vic threads, and I'll repeat it again. Keep the discussion on topic. We're not going to discuss what other people have said on twitter. If/when those topics get covered there will be appropriate threads for discussion. While Monica's tweets may be about Vic they have zero to do with this specific topic.

While I respect this stance, what is this news about if not Vic? Nobody here is really talking about the show or the change so much as they are the allegations against him. What do you want us to do, pretend the tweets aren’t out there?
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:47 am Reply with quote
Can I ask does Vic deserve to be punished like this?
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:50 am Reply with quote
TdFern 87 wrote:

Bit of a loaded question, IMO. Personally, this still feels like it falls into the realm of "go quite for a while, and job will come again later". But, what could change all that, is what Monica Rial says. That could change the realm I see it in, and potentially have a large influence on the decision makers within the industry.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:36 am Reply with quote
TdFern 87 wrote:

A better question, and one the anime fandom as a whole needs to ask, is:

"Why did it take so long for him to be punished like this?"
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

While I respect this stance, what is this news about if not Vic? Nobody here is really talking about the show or the change so much as they are the allegations against him. What do you want us to do, pretend the tweets aren’t out there?

What we want you to do is what we've said multiple times, wait for appropriate threads on those topics if/when they show up. And yes I know that nobody is talking about the show (which is the topic) and just continuing arguments from every other Vic thread. Which is redundant, off topic as it applies here, and only serves to inflame an already volatile and serious situation.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
In my opinion, what is happening to him is far worse than anything he has done, publicly.

Not that I am agreeing with, um... what's it called... "misconduct." But basically, two wrongs don't make a right.

If you feel violated, in anyway, you say to him "hey, I don't feel comfortable with this." You don't grin and bare it, hold a grudge, and then anonymously snipe the guy's career when he least expects it.

Some people are just overly clingy. That's their personality. Or, they simply are poor at reading a situation. It's entirely possible that people feel pressured when meeting someone with any sort of fame attached to them. That pressure causes them to feel awkward to point out these things when they happen. That, in turn, signals to Vic that he isn't doing anything wrong. Then, when someone does say something and he does apologize, he doesn't really know where the line is drawn.

He may have done something "inappropriate" with 20, 30, 50, 100 fans without any of them saying a word of protest. Some may not have even found a problem with it or maybe they even thanked him for the familiarity (a lot of people go for that stuff). So when the handful of people that do have a problem come out to say something, what do you think he attributes to that apology?

Imagine living your life, having some daily routine on your way to work. Doesn't matter what it is. In that routine you latched onto doing something out of convenience purposes that makes your commute easier. Now, lets say you do that for 10 years straight. However, unknown to you, you're actually breaking some minor, obscure law. You run into some strict cop and he calls you out on it. You'd apologize, but probably be left thinking "what the hell did I do wrong?"

I know I am dragging up a page 3 post, but I want to somewhat applaud your mindset here, cause it shows how much things have changed.

Even as close as 5 years ago, people, especially victims, had a hard time bringing this kind of thing up. He's famous, I'm a nobody, nothing will happen: That is the mentality preventing people from bringing this kind of thing to light. That's how people felt back then, scared to speak up or feeling the person in question wouldn't be held accountable. Your response is how that mentality has changed. Today we think to nip it in the bud, rather than let it blossom into a career-destroying train wreck with a trail of victims. This gives me great hope for the future.

However, please still keep in mind that mindset didn't apply to 5, 10, 20 years past. We have come a long way from the 'do favours to get ahead' mentality of the 80's, but that was the mentality of then and we can't exactly play the 'Why wasn't anything said' card that we can say of infractions today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7