• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The World's Finest Assassin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:53 am Reply with quote
Well that was a cliffhanger of an ending.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Tarte and Maha in bikini's! Of course Dia outdid them by getting some naked alone time with Lugh. Did they have sex in the onsen too, along with that kiss...?

I don't think that's actually the Hero but it's kind of hilarious how it looks almost exactly like an Isekai version of Lancer from F/SN.

So now the Goddess is a sexy teacher reincarnating someone to teach the Hero. Is she assuming the teacher will steer the Hero straight or...? Now I'm just waiting for sexy nurse Goddess

Lugh and Dia's date was adorable, and Dia looking like a brunette was neat.

It's neat that Reina Ueda sang the Ending theme this time around.

So is the reveal supposed to be that the Viekone have militarized their land for the Civil War? Why would Dia need to be assassinated? Was her family secretly corrupt or evil nobles and Dia has to bear the brunt of her families' sins? Is Lugh going to fake her death so she'll join his assassination team?
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Doing a cliffhanger like that doesn't work when you start the show with a scene that shows all 3 girls working with the MC.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:42 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Tarte and Maha in bikini's! Of course Dia outdid them by getting some naked alone time with Lugh. Did they have sex in the onsen too, along with that kiss...?

spoiler[No, though they do in volume 3 (to Maha's slight irritation)].
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:36 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

... I don't personally have any problem with cousin marriages, but..

You do realize the 'family'/house she would contact would be her own before she married Cian, Lugh's father...

Nope, but that's not surprising with this kind of setting.

Madaniel wrote:

In the source material it doesn't specify much about the brothels, but Lugh does say that he had sex in his new life, if that's related to the brothels I have no idea.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if he went as part of his training. Never know what kind of skills you may need as an assassin...

Leviathonlx wrote:
Doing a cliffhanger like that doesn't work when you start the show with a scene that shows all 3 girls working with the MC.

Yeah, if you hadn't said it I was going to. Not a fan of those hooks at the start of series in general, but you can't have that and then have this kind of cliffhanger (even if there was no chance he'd go after her regardless).

She's in a different kingdom though, right (Dia mentioned that her kingdom doesn't have an assassin family)? So why would they even go after her? I guess we'll find out next week, but is opposing side of the civil war backed by the kingdom they're in?

Quote:
I'm always a fan of off-screen adventures—like Tarte and Lugh on a deserted island while Maha is just clillaxing on the beach waiting for them to return.

I would have liked to have seen a little bit of this on screen since it seemed so random. I wonder if it was "off-screen" in the LN too?

Quote:
did her father already die on the battlefield?
From the way she was speaking, if he wasn't already dead, I felt like he would be soon enough. However, with the reveal at the end with the soldiers I'm guessing that's already happened.
Netero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:34 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:

The cliffhanger is not whether Dia survives, but how she survives. And that's going to be complicated because both Lugh and Dia have love versus duty conflicts, not to mention the conflict over whether to kill the alleged Hero too soon and doom the world.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
Did not enjoy this episode...until the end of episode recontextualized the rest of it. Dia was too childish for me. And then her last scene hit, and I realized I was an idiot, and that her childish affectation was intentional, a last gasp of some sort.

Giving Setanta Gae Bolg is cute, if a bit odd. The show hasn't leaned on much myth that I'm aware of, aside from names. I wonder if little nods like that will become more common in the remaining episodes. Kinda hope not, honestly.

Cian's command is odd, given his previous conversations with Lugh- I sort of expect that he's hoping Lugh will reject or subvert the order...which would put him in the crosshairs of the larger family, and their employer. So we will see what becomes of that.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:11 am Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
Did not enjoy this episode...until the end of episode recontextualized the rest of it. Dia was too childish for me. And then her last scene hit, and I realized I was an idiot, and that her childish affectation was intentional, a last gasp of some sort.

I do get the sense now that Dia wanted the date because she felt it might be the last time she and Lugh might ever get to feel like a normal boy and girl again.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:

A big part of it is likely just since this episode was anime original except for the ending scene to have a cliffhanger for the next arc by cutting the conversation in half.
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:56 pm Reply with quote
This is so weird, they started off with them training... in some island without actual giving an explanation as to why they did that and the rest of the it's just Lugh and Dia having a date. And the ending I guess it was meant to shocked us !!? But we all know Dia is not gonna die so pretty underwhelming....as always Confused
Picky33

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Sinsekihokimchiansu wrote:
This is so weird, they started off with them training... in some island without actual giving an explanation as to why they did that and the rest of the it's just Lugh and Dia having a date. And the ending I guess it was meant to shocked us !!? But we all know Dia is not gonna die so pretty underwhelming....as always Confused

We don't know that she won't die (unless you've read the LN) it would make a good revenge story if she did.
Taederias

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
We don't know that she won't die (unless you've read the LN) it would make a good revenge story if she did.

You do know she's not gonna die (unless you haven't understood the anime) as she appears in the future as a member of Lugh's crew, seen in Episode 1.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
Last week's cliffhanger was bad enough since we already knew Dia's fate from the first episode, but seeing that it was just to fake her death means that the unnatural way Lugh's father presented it makes it even worse from a presentation standpoint. I wonder if the novels presented it this way since unless this was the end and start of a book they wouldn't need such a hook.

So I guess Lugh didn't know they were related just like the audience. I wonder if things would have gone differntly if he knew... (probably not lol)

Still, enjoyed the episode, especially in regards to Tarte.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:36 am Reply with quote
I guess it makes sense that they'd frame "saving" Dia through an assassination.

So...big reveals are that Dia is Lugh's cousin (not that I expect it to effect their relationship much, though is Esri Dia's aunt?) and Cian once did something of his own accord and not for the Tuatha De, and it was for Esri. Seems like the Tuatha De have a taste for Viekone women, which probably explains why Ersi was so amused by Lugh's feelings for Dia.

Tarte's grand wind run was pretty epic, and then it turned heartbreaking when she broke down crying after confirming how much Lugh loves Dia...poor girl.

So is the entire system in place in this universe to facilitate the Hero succeeding and then being disposed of when they start to rampage for some reason? And the Goddess finally found Lugh.

I love the soldiers freaking out at getting sniped and trying to comprehend what's happening. And that Dia taking Lugh's lesson with guns to heart. Also Lugh finally making use of those explosive crystals.

I'm guessing Lugh is planning to use that corpse to pose as Dia's corpse to make everyone assume she died. I wonder about her father though.
andramus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:00 am Reply with quote
Last week's cliffhanger was an obvious fakeout to just about any audience member. There was no way that Lugh was going to accept an assignment to assassinate the woman he planned to marry and it's extremely unlikely that his father would have given him such an assignment knowing how Lugh felt about Dia.

I think there are two types of suspense from cliffhangers. Those being "will the character be able to get out of this situation?" and "how will the character get out of this situation?". I think last weeks cliffhanger was clearly in the latter category. We knew Lugh wasn't going to assassinate Dia so the question we were left with was how he was going to get out of it.

What's interesting is that the conflict presented by the cliffhanger was immediately resolved and new one presented in it's place that was both different and the same. Whether Lugh was forced to choose between assassinating Dia or refusing to do so or rescuing Dia or leaving her to her fate the conflict still boiled down to personal feelings versus principles.

Some people might think last week's cliffhanger was cheap and easily resolved but something about how it was twisted around in the following episode so that the cliffhanger wasn't what we (or I at least) thought it was somewhat justifies it in my view.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9