• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN and the industry's stance on fansubs (ANN official on P5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
[ Trailers and word of mouth is not enough information to make an informed purchase on, at least not more than a few bucks.

That's why we have the review staff at ANN Wink .
CrazyIdiots

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I watch fansubs because watching the english dubbed version kind of takes away my hope for international fame. To me it just seems that they don't put enough effect into it on the english dubs and are only trying to sap some money only because the original was a hit in Japan. The only dubbed non-overratted (pokemon, yugioh,dbz, etc) anime that I appreciate so far is Gundam Wing I also use fansubs to teach myself Japanese and its really paying off Very Happy.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
It's easier to criticize a language you know well and have grown up with hearing your entire life than it is to criticize one you're only learning now and have not lived your life hearing day after day. At any rate, let's try to keep this on the industry's stance and not turn it in to a sub vs. dub debate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nikandros

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
CrazyIdiots wrote:
I watch fansubs because watching the english dubbed version kind of takes away my hope for international fame. To me it just seems that they don't put enough effect into it on the english dubs and are only trying to sap some money only because the original was a hit in Japan. The only dubbed non-overratted (pokemon, yugioh,dbz, etc) anime that I appreciate so far is Gundam Wing I also use fansubs to teach myself Japanese and its really paying off Very Happy.

Not to drag this further off topic but I highly doubt most anime dialog is conversational Japanese. I mean after all, how often do you hear people speak like Batman from the cartoons?

Don't get me wrong I find learning a new language admirable, but why do you want to learn to speak Japanese? To be better entertained by anime? For a trip to Japan in the distant future so that you can try to make conversation with the people there? To culture yourself and raise your knowledge level?

I am making an attempt to learn other languages, and to eventually spend a year or two in said nations(pending I get the money to make my dreams come true.) In an effort to culture myself and to immerse myself in a different culture so that I can really see the value in the positive aspects in my own society as well as the societies I visit. As well as the obvious failings of the societies.

As for fan subs go, there are times when listening to the characters talk even my very very very very very limited ability to speak Japanese catches errors or differences between what the subbers write and what the character actually says. Fan subs should never be used as a way to learn a language. After all, they do not get the sentence structure right. They place it in a way that logically makes sense to an English speaking audience but other languages do not have the same word order we do.

As far as the industry goes, it will adapt or it will die, its the law of nature. Fan subs provide something meaningful to the community as a whole. There will always be some people paying for dubs, because a lot of people do not care to learn Japanese or read subtitles, but as time progresses if the majority watch free fan subs the number of decent titles coming to America will drop and the speed they make it over here at will also slow to a crawl. Either American anime companies will develop their own products, or they will find another means to adapt or will slowly die out to the point that they are a shell of the company they are now.

Of course thats from the view point of someone who knows actually very little about modern economics but knows what it means to be an intelligent consumer.
vylo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I mean after all, how often do you hear people speak like Batman from the cartoons?

That's how I always talk. Perhaps that is why people are always so jumpy around me......
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's why we have the review staff at ANN Wink .

That's also word of mouth, and based on the reviews I've seen, not the word of mouth I would trust most to inform my purchasing descisions. I might download the first episode of a series based on an ANN review, but I certainly wouldn't buy a $20 DVD based on one.

Besides, I actually prefer to be surprised by a series, to go in without knowing much about it at all.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
cookie wrote:
Guys, please keep this thread on the topic of ANN's stance on the industry and on fansubs, not comparing and contrasting AoD and ANN's forums, readership, etc.

You're a little late to the party. We've more or less agreed to disagree and we (I) have moved on to a different tangent. Razz

Porcupine wrote:
How do people know that Kodocha failed?

Because Funi has said as much. It didn't sell well, so they won't be continuing it.

Quote:
For that matter, how do people ever know that any particular anime "failed" in the US market? To me, the only way to know about this is to look at DVD and manga sales figures, which companies do not usually report as far as I know.

There are signs. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Aura Battler Dunbine bombed.

Quote:
How often Kodocha is discussed is not necessarily any indication of how well the show has done.

What? Who said the amount of discussion was the indicator of Kodocha's success or failure?

Quote:
For example, so far Haruhi has probably failed in the USA. But that's not what I see people saying. People think it is doing great because the fansub community loves it.

I haven't seen people claiming things about it one way or the other, at least not here or at AoD. There simply isn't much evidence either way at this point.

Quote:
But I do not see that reflected in store sales at all.

Oh, so now you have access to the sales numbers?

Quote:
It will be easier to judge how well Haruhi is doing in the USA when volume 3 comes out. One need only count how many copies of Haruhi Vol 3 any given Best Buy or Suncoast orders and compare with how many copies of Fate Stay Night Vol 5 or Karin Vol 3 are ordered, for example. That gives an idea of how well Haruhi does in the USA, not whether online people say they like it or not.

No, it really doesn't. Some stores may sell out while others will still have them months later. Even if you check several stores in an area, that doesn't mean its indicative of the rest of the country.

Quote:
In the case of Kodocha, it's also shown for free on TV on Funimation channel every day. So it's impossible to say how well it is doing, really. The fact that it is shown so often on TV makes me think it is doing relatively well.[/quote

Why? Funi can show all sorts of things on their channel, but I don't believe people pay for each show. So they get money for people subscribing to the channel (which is probably insignificant) but that has little to do with the success of any particular show.

[quote="Ohoni"]
HitokiriShadow wrote:

The anime companies are probably getting the same amount for each copy regardless (some exceptions maybe, like if you are only buying at Bargain Bin/clearance sales). Regardless of where you get it, the anime companies are getting, at best, 50% of the MSRP. It's probably more like 30-40%. The rest goes to the stores and any middlemen that may be involved. There might be some variance or discounts of bigger bulk shipments for major anime retailers like RightStuf, but its probably very small difference (per disc). It's not like the companies are getting $17 per volume from Best Buy and $10 per volume from RightStuf.

This is true. Kinda. The problem is, if you only buy anime at a discount, then the stores don't feel that THEY are getting their money's worth out of selling anime. They take a big hit on any DVD sold at or near cost, because they get almost no profit, and had to hold that DVD on the shelves for a while, which annoys the hell out of them. And if they don't feel they are getting their money's worth, they won't stock as much of it. And if they don't stock as much of it, then the anime company doesn't get as much money. So basically, if you only buy anime at the minimum price possible, you ARE hurting the industry relative to those who pay full price, you ARe cutting directly into the anime companies' profit margins.

It depends. Somehow, I don't think RightStuf minds people buying from their sales, since they have them constantly. For stores like that, they probably rely less on profit from individual items and more on raking in profits from people buying a lot of stuff. Which is another point to take into consideration. By buying anime cheaper you can afford to buy more anime. In any case, if you wait for months after something comes out, or until the thinpack comes out in the hopes of getting it for a fraction of the price, then yes, that isn't really helping the companies. But whether you pay $17 with a sale at RightStuf or $25 at Best Buy probably isn't really going to make a difference.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:12 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Well that's what freebies are for. If I'm paying for a channel of 20 shows, and only like 5 of them, then I'd consider that a bit of a waste, and don't have time to watch shows that I don't enjoy, so the other shows wouldn't mean much to me. Rather than that, I'd prefer to pay for the shows I DO want, and have some method of getting at least a couple episodes of new shows for free to, as you say, try them out, and then if I do enjoy them, buy them. I really don't buy any entertainment without watching some of it first if I can in any way help it.

Do you have cable? Or any premium channels from any method? If you could get a special rate, like $1/channel for cable channels and only buy certain channels would you do it? And if so, would you watch every minute of programming on those channels? Because if not, then apparently you're wasting your money on anything you're not as interested in on those channels. Or, to put it another way, would you pay $1/episode for shows you want. Suppose there's a channel you can get for $10/month that has 3 shows you want and 7 more shows you've never heard of. In a month with 4 weeks, you've already gotten $12 worth of shows you want plus 28 episodes you know nothing about and can sample, basically for "free". I'm not saying the channel should be equal to the same cost as $1/episode for everything on it, I'm saying find programming people want, find a rate people will pay, and work something out.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:40 am Reply with quote
Hitokiri, ultrapostman, I didn't realize that the later episodes of Kodocha weren't licensed...no wonder I never see them on Funimation channel. I agree that is good evidence that Kodocha did not sell well in the USA. Although, in this case, I am not certain it is hard evidence though. If I'm not mistaken (I'm no expert on the Kodocha series) aren't the later episodes supposedly not based on the manga, and supposedly a lot of fans had issues with the stories and thought that some (or all?) of the later episodes of Kodocha pretty much ruined the series? At least that's what I had heard from our anime club back when I saw Kodocha as VHS fansubs about 11 years ago. Or did a Funimation rep actually say that Kodocha did not sell well?

Regarding the usefulness of counting the # of copies a store orders, I still think that method is very useful. From what I've seen, most Suncoasts, most Best Buys, etc, tend to order a similar amount of any given title, and this amount isn't very related to the amount of copies that particular store expects to sell. Rather, it's a decision made back at corporate headquarters or something, analyzing how that title (or similar titles, previous volumes, etc) sold in general at all stores across the nation.

That's why here, at one Suncoast it is almost impossible to buy certain new anime unless you reserve it ahead of time. Because they still only get their 10 copies of Fate/Stay Night or so and it's all gone in 1 day because the demand too high near that store. If that store could order more copies they would but they are too dumb and either can't or won't, I suspect more stores are like that. Instead, they wait and 2 weeks later another batch of Fate/Stay Nights arrive, etc. The RE-orders and total amount sold in the end do reflect the sales of a particular store, yes. But the initial shipment of NON-reserved copies at Suncoast, Best Buy (they don't do reservations anyway), etc...it seems to me to be some fixed amount that most stores roughly adhere to for whatever reason.

I think there were around 30 Haruhi Vol. 1 RE's at all the Suncoasts here and about 50 at all the Best Buys, with re-orders coming in the next weeks (despite no one buying, in this case I think the stores were all forced to buy). And the stores basically overflowed with Haruhi Vol. 1's until Suncoast lowered the price to $9 and got rid of most of them, and they suddenly disappeared all at once from Best Buy, when the Best Buy stores shipped them back to storage cause they wouldn't sell. And comparitively I only saw 4 or 5 Haruhi Vol. 2 RE's at the Best Buys here when it was released, etc. My exact numbers could be off, it's just a rough estimate based on the stacks I see of course.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:

It depends. Somehow, I don't think RightStuf minds people buying from their sales, since they have them constantly. For stores like that, they probably rely less on profit from individual items and more on raking in profits from people buying a lot of stuff.

Ah, well, that's a different between direct sales (from a company store) and retail sales (from a Best Buy or whatever). Direct sales they still probably make a decent profit off of a sale title, it's the retail market that gets killed by people sale-hunting, because they couldn't care less about the "volume" of anime sales, if another product could be sold with higher margins that would take up the same space.

Quote:

Do you have cable? Or any premium channels from any method?

I do have cable. But then, I have cable. I can't afford to pay for cable, sattelite, fios tv, etc. all at once, which is essentially the situation we'd be looking at if I had to buy into multiple channels to get the anime I want (and don't pretend that any single channel could possibly liscense all the shows I'd want to watch, it's just not feasible). If I'm going to pay for a specific anime pipeline, I expect it to be a bit more custom than by cable bill. I don't intend to "flip around" an anime line-up, I just want to have the shows I watch available to me when I want to watch them, and nothing more than that. We are talking about a product intended to compete with fansubs on their home turf.

I'm not saying your arguement is not grounded in logic, the analogies an math all work out, just that your logic has no real impact on whether or not it would get me to buy into such a channel.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Hitokiri, ultrapostman, I didn't realize that the later episodes of Kodocha weren't licensed...no wonder I never see them on Funimation channel. I agree that is good evidence that Kodocha did not sell well in the USA. Although, in this case, I am not certain it is hard evidence though. If I'm not mistaken (I'm no expert on the Kodocha series) aren't the later episodes supposedly not based on the manga, and supposedly a lot of fans had issues with the stories and thought that some (or all?) of the later episodes of Kodocha pretty much ruined the series? At least that's what I had heard from our anime club back when I saw Kodocha as VHS fansubs about 11 years ago. Or did a Funimation rep actually say that Kodocha did not sell well?

I believe Kodocha strays from the manga at some point, but at least the next bunch of episodes are based on the manga and whether or not it is based on the manga (and what manga fans think of it) doesn't really mean much. If how fans felt about part of a series meant anything, MediaBlasters wouldn't have bothered with the third season of Rurouni Kenshin. If it was selling decently, they would have continued it. Poor sales is the only reason they would change their mind. Originally, the claimed they were releasing the whole series. Then when it came closer to the second half, they made it sound like they never had the latter half to begin with.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I know that this might end up bad, but after following this thread for a couple of days I realized that I have to say my word on this too.

Firstly let me explain a little bit my situation: I live in a country where most of the people whom I’m talking to have a clue about what “anime” or “manga” means and some of them are really into this just like me. Nonetheless, when it comes to actually buying anime or manga, we have no place to go. In that big country of mine there isn’t a God damn store of anime or manga. Although it has been organized a convention on anime and manga last year and they brought some stuff there, most of that was highly expensive not to mention it was in English. I know English but not all people do. You can’t possibly understand what it means to be a fan and have to watch anime in English (when it’s second language) or to read a manga in English, Italian or French and not in your own mother tongue. I believe that in the entire Europe only France, Italy and Germany (I’m not sure about this last one) have somehow developed this market. So apart from English since I have become a serious fan of anime and manga, I have read and watched all this in English, French and Italian.

My financial situation is not at all very extraordinary. I’m a student and I have a job. Now, I don’t have to pay for my studies since I have a scholarship – I’m not telling you this to brag, but to understand that I have my salary at my disposal since I live with my parents and they don’t ask me a penny. Compared to the prices that Barnes and Noble have or even Borders I still can’t afford to buy many things from them for the simple fact that if it’s not a question of price, it’s a question of taxes. Believe that it hurts my guts when I see that I worked for a month and all I can buy is a case of DVDs or just a couple of manga volumes.

I also have cable but the only channel that shows anime isn’t very great. I mean, for instance they just aired for the third time Inuyasha….Shocked, twice Kaleido Star and only now they air Cowboy Bep-pop (which of course it’s after midnight).

Now, do I watch fan subs? Yes, I do and I’m not ashamed to admit it. If I had the possibility to buy the anime and the manga at a local store and not pay for the DVDs and volumes and then the taxes I would gladly buy them. For instance I also love movies very much. I have the possibility to download them from the internet and yet I don’t do it: I buy the DVDs and I go to the cinema to watch them. I buy the DVDs because I can afford them, because they are available almost at the same time as their official release date (therefore I don’t have to wait a lot to see them licensed) and because there are stores, actual stores where I can find them and touch them.

And regarding the ANN stance, I don’t feel like they make people feel unwelcomed that they watch fan subs. They understand that sometimes our situation is a bit complicated (like mine). They don't encourage it, it's true, but I never felt like they were the Inquisition ready to torture and burn the unfaithful ones who watch fan subs. Twisted Evil

Ok, I will stop here because it turns far too long than I have planned.

Embarassed
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I might download the first episode of a series based on an ANN review, but I certainly wouldn't buy a $20 DVD based on one.

The important question is what you will do if you like the first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The important question is what you will do if you like the first episode.

Well, running with the above criteria that there exists an acceptible official distribution method, I would start to buy that series, along with the other titles I would be buying. I'd at least be willing to give the series a little run. Of course, if I'd had to judge some series by only the first episode I might not have ended up watching as much as I have. The first ep of Haruhi, for example, did not catch my interests at all, and the second only marginally piqued them. It wasn't until the 3rd that I was really hooked in, and would definitely have paid to continue watching.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:32 am Reply with quote
CrazyIdiots wrote:
So...why not watch the Japanese audio track with subtitles on the DVDs? Or get the recent Media-Blasters releases without English audio?

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8