• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I smell Hollywood.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:29 am Reply with quote
Let's see Dragonball goes Live Action thanks to Hollywood and also Ninja Scroll. Confused Hmmm, I kind of have mix feelings on this. About the same mix feeling when I went to see Street Fighter and Mario Bros. Many of you know where this going, but hopely I don't have think live action video game movies along with anime live action movies (Iria and DB:TMB also had going there, but City Hunter pull out. Smile )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:44 am Reply with quote
I have but one word for this:

AAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGHHH!

Jesus. It was bad enough seeing live-action versions of Disney and Jay Ward cartoons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dudesup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 2:28 pm Reply with quote
that sucks Mad
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Not that I care much one way or the other, not being a big Dragonball Z fan myself, but what do you suppose the chances are that this movie will ever proceed beyond the "option" stage and get produced? Maybe it will just be another Sailor Moon live action movie, which Disney proposed around 1996 or 1997, starring Geena Davis as Queen Beryl and, rumour had it, Alicia Silverstone as Sailor Moon (Kirsten Dunst would make a better Sailor Moon, but she wasn't too famous, other than being the "girl from Interview with a Vampire" at the time), but then lost interest. (There were also plans for a live-action Patlabor movie, though this would have been European (I think the studio interested was German) not Hollywood, but this never saw the light of day either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 4:58 pm Reply with quote
We could always start the "cast your own live-action anime film" thread. Any takers? Dream film? Dream cast? I'll start.

I could totally see a Hellsing movie. Nicole Kidman would make a perfect Integra. Cast Drew Barrymore as Victoria, and Gary Oldman as Alucard. Hey, enough makeup and he could pull it off. Alucard isn't exactly bishounen, after all.

Totally. Man, it's a good thing I don't work in Hollywood.

-Zac
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

We could always start the "cast your own live-action anime film" thread. Any takers? Dream film? Dream cast? I'll start.

I could totally see a Hellsing movie. Nicole Kidman would make a perfect Integra. Cast Drew Barrymore as Victoria, and Gary Oldman as Alucard. Hey, enough makeup and he could pull it off. Alucard isn't exactly bishounen, after all.

Totally. Man, it's a good thing I don't work in Hollywood.

*A weak laugh, a very weak laugh* Sad I just your avarge movie goer, but it they bring that Disney Sailor Moon to light, I'll go battie. Well, a UY movie will make me go past that. *L*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Well, here's a "project" I sure hope will get "greenlighted". (Ha ha ha; I should write the entertainment industry version of Peggy Hill's "Musings" column.) Cardcaptor Sakura the American live-action movie. I have absolutely no suggestions for who would play the kids (they'd probably hold auditions for unknowns), but I'd love to see Ben Affleck and Matt Damon as Touya and Yukito. I can imagine Ben n' Matt riding bikes together in real life, so they're perfect for the characters, and Matt's already worn wings for at least one character before (as Loki in Dogma)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
anime uncut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 11:13 pm Reply with quote
These have just gotta be made into live action films!
Cowboy Beebop (if that's his nick name) can be played by (I can't think of his name) a James Dean type.
His friend - Judd Hersh.
The girls - Uma Therman (Poison Ivy), Hally Bary (haven't seen the show), and that girl from "Lost In Space" and "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me".

Cutey Honey would be split into 2 actresses.

The Dirty Pair team would be...
Yuri - Alicia Silverstone with a black wig.
Karie - The red head in "V.I.P."
3rd girl (can't remember her name or look) - Lucy Lu from "Charlie's Angels".
Morrolan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:25 am Reply with quote
A bit of advice to the casting man... never cast Drew Barrimore in anything.

Ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:50 am Reply with quote
Damnit, casting Gary Oldman in ANYTHING and you've got a good film on your hands. Or, failing that, a bad film WITH Gary Oldman in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:50 am Reply with quote
Morrolan wrote:

A bit of advice to the casting man... never cast Drew Barrimore in anything.

Ever.

Well what about younger Drew (ET age.)

Last edited by Ataru on Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Animan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:04 am Reply with quote
"Maybe it will just be another Sailor Moon live action movie, which Disney proposed around 1996 or 1997..."

Hey, don't forget that Disney also had plans for a live action STAR BLAZERS movie that got only as far as a first draft script.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Animan wrote:

Hey, don't forget that Disney also had plans for a live action STAR BLAZERS movie that got only as far as a first draft script.

Well, I wasn't giving a complete catalogue of every anime that a Hollywood studio was interested in remaking as a live-action film that ultimately never got produced. I know Fox optioned the live-action rights for Gunmn/Battle Angel but this project never proceeded beyond the "option" phase. (And, no, Dark Angel is NOT a rip-off of Battle Angel. As far as I can tell, the only similarities are cliches common to Philip K. Dick-esque near-future dystopias.)

As for the live-action Sailor Moon, if I thought Disney could do it right, I'd support it. What would I consider "doing it right"? If they were to do the Queen Beryl story arc as it appeared in the original manga (which has many differences from the way the story appeared in the anime, as the manga and anime were being produced at the same time and Naoko Takeuchi gave the animators only a vague outline as to what happens beyond the first few installments of the manga). But I doubt Disney (or any other Hollywood studio, had Disney not optioned the rights) would do a straight adaption of the manga; the temptation to do a live-action parody of the cartoon (like Inspector Gadget or George of the Jungle) full of post-ironic winks to the audience would be too great.
anime uncut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Animan wrote:

Well, I seem to remember the picture got partly made, but production was postponed when they started other projects like "T.R.O.N." (filmed in '78), "Herby Goes Bananas" (filmed and aired in '79), and "The Last Star Fighter". (filmed in 1980)
After seeing how poorly their previous film "The Black Hole" was treated, "Star Blazers" was scrapped in mid production.
The live action film was later released in full (edited for TV) as a TV mini-series.
The movie "Lost In Space" became a pilot for a TV series.
I believe "The Black Hole" and "Star Blazers" inspired the series.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2002 5:14 pm Reply with quote
anime uncut wrote:

Animan wrote:

Well, I seem to remember the picture got partly made, but production was postponed when they started other projects like "T.R.O.N." (filmed in '78), "Herby Goes Bananas" (filmed and aired in '79), and "The Last Star Fighter". (filmed in 1980)

Uh, TRON was released in 1982, and the Last Starfighter in 1984, so they were probably filmed in 1981-82 and 1983-84 respectively. Also, the Last Starfighter was made by Universal, not Disney.

anime uncut wrote:

After seeing how poorly their previous film "The Black Hole" was treated, "Star Blazers" was scrapped in mid production.
The live action film was later released in full (edited for TV) as a TV mini-series.
The movie "Lost In Space" became a pilot for a TV series.
I believe "The Black Hole" and "Star Blazers" inspired the series.

The 1998 film Lost in Space was inspired primarily by the TV series Lost in Space, which first aired in 1965 and predates both the Black Hole and the original Yamato series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3