• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Live-Action Attack on Titan Director Insults Promotion Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyJavabeans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Wait, hold on a sec, he's now not allowed to blow off steam via a private Facebook comment that was not meant for the public but for his friends? I guess everybody are saints here and if your work gets bashed you'll just take it with great big smile and never be at least a bit agitated and wanting to blow off some steam, nope. I'm curious about your Facebook pages and comments when you're having a bad day at work because your boss is screwing you over. It must be the most G-rated Disney stuff on the planet. Instead of raging, you all must be thanking your boss and promising to work harder.

Give the guy a break. Who doesn't get mad when their work is being ripped on? Whether it has merit or not does not matter. There's a reason why he's not in charge of publicity.

People should be more mad with the "friend" who betrayed the guy and essentially fed him to the hounds. And no, I don't know the guy, I don't know what he really is like in real life but most likely neither does anybody here. Just seeing how it is. Who really wants to invite people to their preview when they're sure they'll give them a bad review? Like really, come on.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
JohnnyJavabeans wrote:
Wait, hold on a sec, he's now not allowed to blow off steam via a private Facebook comment that was not meant for the public but for his friends? I guess everybody are saints here and if your work gets bashed you'll just take it with great big smile and never be at least a bit agitated and wanting to blow off some steam, nope. I'm curious about your Facebook pages and comments when you're having a bad day at work because your boss is screwing you over. It must be the most G-rated Disney stuff on the planet. Instead of raging, you all must be thanking your boss and promising to work harder.

No one is saying he isn't allowed to have his own opinions or rants on his private Facebook account but it is a major problem if he's trying to silence freedom of the press to protect his reputation.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't get people like this. First you insult people, then go on to apologize because that's not what you meant and insult someone instead. Then go on and insult someone who is a friend of yours. Confused Confused Confused
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
Then go on and insult someone who is a friend of yours. Confused Confused Confused

The "friend" leaked his personal rants on his private Facebook to the public for 15 minutes of fame. Of course he's going to insult him.

Apparently not being politically correct on your private social media account is a serious crime!
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
What's not clear to me is whether Higuchi was being entirely serious in what he thought was a private conversation. I can totally see a dissed director saying, "What moron invited that guy?" without seriously meaning it. Irony seldom propagates well across the internet.

I do kind of like how his "apology and clarification" sounds a whole lot like doubling down on his remarks. Note that what he apologizes for is for "being a nuisance," which reminds me of the apology Daisuke Matsuzaka made for getting injured while trying to catch a long fly ball for the Yankees...that confused a lot of sports writers, but it was a very Japanese kind of apology, intended to smooth social relations without necessarily admitting fault or wrongdoing.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
oh well, the movie destined to be fail anyway even without his comment
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:32 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
It really does seem like a hit or miss anime Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Either you love it with a fury or hate it. Just what I've seen I guess.

I think it's more a case of only people that really love the show or really hate it care enough to comment.

I get the impression that there's a fair amount of resentment that AoT became immensely popular over and above other equally good shows, and maybe a bit of resentment towards the more casual fans who don't know much about anime, but have seen and liked AoT.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:59 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Note that what he apologizes for is for "being a nuisance," which reminds me of the apology Daisuke Matsuzaka made for getting injured while trying to catch a long fly ball for the Yankees...

Red Sox
lllllllllllllllllllllllll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"I'm the real blockhead... for accepting the director job of this film."

Fixed.

Such a shame Shinji Higuchi was blinded by the offer. Tetsuya Nakashima quit the position after realizing that the producer and the rest of the production team can only provide very limited resources, making it impossible to produce a quality film.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:33 am Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
It really does seem like a hit or miss anime Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Either you love it with a fury or hate it. Just what I've seen I guess.

I think it's more a case of only people that really love the show or really hate it care enough to comment.

I get the impression that there's a fair amount of resentment that AoT became immensely popular over and above other equally good shows, and maybe a bit of resentment towards the more casual fans who don't know much about anime, but have seen and liked AoT.

Ahh good point.
JohnnyJavabeans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
No one is saying he isn't allowed to have his own opinions or rants on his private Facebook account but it is a major problem if he's trying to silence freedom of the press to protect his reputation.

No but it doesn't necessarily say allowed either when people are putting him down over a private rant. Also, if this is all it takes to "silence the freedom of the press to protect his reputation", just a rant on Facebook to his friends, then we got a bigger problem on our hands. Besides, if the movie truly sucked, the reviewers who were allowed to the prescreening will say so regardless unless they were bought out or they owed the director something which is a whole different story that was never hinted here.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
What an ass. so they "didn't deserve to be there" because they didn't like the movie. lol

Sorry for not including this in the article, but in his tweets Higuchi linked to a blog post from 2011 that implies that his beef with the reviewer is that the critic complained about a movie from that year (Hayabusa) that he apparently didn't see.
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who finds it funny that his defense of his statement is more or less just repeating it.

"Who are the idiots who invited them?"

His defense of that statement

"What I meant was I was angry at the blockheads who invited people who shouldn't be allowed to see it."
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
LoriasGS wrote:
Am I the only one who finds it funny that his defense of his statement is more or less just repeating it.

"Who are the idiots who invited them?"

His defense of that statement

"What I meant was I was angry at the blockheads who invited people who shouldn't be allowed to see it."

He doesn't bend. Razz I sort of respect him for that.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
LoriasGS wrote:

He doesn't bend. Razz I sort of respect him for that.

Same here. Besides, a public apology for a private comment that was leaked? Wouldn't be accepted as sincere anyway, so why give Twitter the satisfaction?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3