• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Plastic Memories Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I love melodramatic anime, but hated Plastic Memories. The "deception" of the first couple of episodes, to me at least, wasn't that it was a sci-fi show; it was very clearly a melodrama to me from the beginning. But I went in expecting a touching story about fragile relationships between humans and their Giftia. What I got was an overly-forced romance between a bland guy and an emotionless girl, filled with all of the sterotypical anime rom-com hijinks in the book.

And Oh, was it forced. Why was everyone in the office so obsessed with pairing these two together, even though they know first hand from their jobs what the pain of their separation would be like? ESPECIALLY Tsudere-girl?

And the thing is, this could have been explained. Insert some touching tale about how relationships with Giftia are worth it despite their short lifespan. Or you could go really deep - would you forgo a relationship with a human who had 5 years to live? Are the Giftia different?

And what about Isla? Her emotional growth was sweet and interesting, but I didn't feel like her reasons for being cold in the first place were really adequately explored. Maybe they could have focused some more time on her back story.

But instead, the second half of the show was basically Tsukasa and Isla conveniently being forced to live together and play newlyweds, like we've seen in every anime romcom of the past 15 years.

Wasted potential for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
-Ana- wrote:
Two words: Wasted Potential

and you said it all in just two words there Smile

i saw 2-3 episodes of this series.. when they announced the series i thought it will be like IS series

i didn't know it's similar to chobits in a way

might worth a rental but not sure about a purchase for this one..
Olaole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
You are pretty nice to this show in the review. It's utter lack of good pacing and ambition to actually dive into its own setting aside, the characters were just terrible. A generic good-two-shoes, a tsundere, a moody female boos, a pervert male boss, a kuudere loli.... coupled with some imho annoying VAs, general meandering and REALLY clicheed drama this anime is average at best and downright boring and sometimes intellectually insulting at worst.
Not to mention how much it had to degrade the female protagonist to show off her soon-to-end lifespan.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
They were acted out real enough, but only if you suppose that the owners of the giftas were wholly ignorant of their nature when they were acquired. That's might be OK if the party is a child who was a toddler when the gifta arrived but not the adults. If you dismiss that problem then the concept improves.

Good point, something I forgot to mention!

HaruhiToy wrote:
Another problem I had is that this came around too soon after Your Lie In April. spoiler[Another character you just didn't want to see die.]

This, for me, is a funny one. I had a feeling that both would end that way, but Your Lie is the series I dropped because of it. I just knew that it was going to happen, and just didn't want to be taken on the ride of the build up.

In the first 4-5 episodes of Your Lie, I felt more melodrama than in the 13 episodes of Plastic Memories. Some of what dtm42 has said about this series, would be how I felt about the first couple of episodes of Your Lie.

I will mention, even thought I "knew" where this series was going, I actually did enjoy the last few episodes of Plastic Memories.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
This show was a huge disaster. I liked Isla as a character but they gave no believable reason for her to fall in love, and vice versa. They just liked each other for the stories sake. Even when they asked for the reasons the dude couldn't name much at all. He just wanted someone to "Help", to make him feel good about himself. They just made Isla and worthless Damsel that couldn't even do her job right.

Along with that, they started off with a unique premise about a company that disposes of robots that people have lived with for a long time. The first few were episodes were it's strongest. Then they basically just turned it into a generic "Dying girl" romance. We have had enough of those. The only difference here is that she was a robot so it actually didn't make ANY sense. Anyone with a remote understanding of data knows that there is no legit reason as to why these robots had to have their memories erased. The whole "rage-mode" thing was a joke just so they could make a robot die from "illness".
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Eh, I disagree with the review.

I thought it had its flaws, but it got all the emotions right and honestly, the humor made it all work towards that somber late episodes.

I do think the show needs like 12 more episodes so it could have done more with the retrieval cases and maybe even show the mechanics of the giftia system, but in the end, it was all about Isla and Tsukasa and I'm glad they centered it to that when it counted. It was very sad as a story, though I do wish we got to see the kind of physical ailments Tsukasa was supposedly fighting throughout the show. If the show was longer, maybe we could have seen that.

But it was still quite a lovely show and I feel like a better person for having watched it. I can understand the criticisms, but I don't really agree it destroys the show or anything of that nature.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This show was a huge disaster. I liked Isla as a character but they gave no believable reason for her to fall in love, and vice versa.

That Tsukasa was trying to win her over wasn't a good enough reason? Seems to work just fine for an awful lot of people IRL. Or were you trying to say that you didn't think there was enough chemistry between the two for there to be a romantic connection?

Quote:
Anyone with a remote understanding of data knows that there is no legit reason as to why these robots had to have their memories erased. The whole "rage-mode" thing was a joke just so they could make a robot die from "illness".

I felt that the series firmly-established early on that whatever mysterious technology gives the Giftia their artificial souls is tied to their memories. (And that technology goes well beyond anything that exists in modern day, so our current understanding of data storage would not necessarily apply.) When the artificial soul degrades, so do the memories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2