• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in The Shell Gets New TV Anime Series in 2026 by Science Saru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I get the sense that this is going to be a relatively more straight adaption of the original manga.

It will also probably look amazing because Science SARU.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 12:29 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

If they go back and do a re-do of the original movie, then there's no way they're going to capture the same success or vibe

I am like 99% sure that this is going to be an adaptation of the original manga so that's the 'new' angle in this case
Wangen

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I can't comment on these latest GitS titles since I never watched them myself (although, I have nothing against CG), but I think Ilya Kuvshinov did a marvelous job with the modern designs of characters.

Early 2000s SAC Motoko is probably the most recognizable, and most iconic, but god....

Whenever I see Kuvshinov's version of her, she looks absolutely amazing.
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 2:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
There are over a dozen versions of the principal characters at this point. Shirow even regularly reuses Motoko´s designs in his hentai but GitS 2.0 has lesbian tentacle sex so it´s not that far a bridge.

Could’ve left this last bit out.
Nah, it sounds about right. Shirow always seemed to have his hand in different markets. He's a technical illustrator, draws manga and produces adult artwork as well. Nice to see he's still active.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd be excited for any adaptation of Shirow's work that isn't GITS frankly, because that's a title that's been saying" let's stop playing cops and robbers and go on to bigger things", only to go back to playing cops and robbers over and over again since the first manga ended in 1991.
Leave this desiccated corpse alone, and adapt something that still allows for plenty of creativity, like the original Black Magic or even better, Orion (the best thing Shirow has ever done apart from providing the basic ideas for Ghost Hound).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I feel like GitS was, as a title, mastered by Kenji Kamiyama in the two seasons of SAC worth watching. Arise is okay, but a little too convoluted for its own good. It looks like this new title will be more like the original manga, so that's pretty unique, and I'll give it a shot, but my expectations aren't super high.

Last edited by penguintruth on Mon May 27, 2024 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ChirashiD

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Eigengrau wrote:
Leave this desiccated corpse alone, and adapt something that still allows for plenty of creativity, like the original Black Magic or even better, Orion (the best thing Shirow has ever done apart from providing the basic ideas for Ghost Hound).
Don't forget about Appleseed. Personally I think Deunan is his best protagonist character.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 3:10 pm Reply with quote
The closest we ever got to the original manga was the PS1 game so if this is a proper adaption of the manga, I'm all in. I've always been a firm believer that the manga version has a distinctly better version of Makoto since she's not serious all the time and can actually show a fun side to her and be a little goofy.

Sure, stuff like the Oshi movies and SAC developed some aspects more but I still think of the original manga when I think of 'Undistilled GitS." It'll certainly be an interesting experience seeing people react to the series who's only experience are the Oshi movies, SAC, etc. since the manga has a distinct tone that if anyone can nail, it'd be SS.
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I welcome this. Two of Saru’s strengths imo are humor and (surreal) worldbuilding with a touch of grit, so they’re not a bad fit if the intention is to adapt Shirow’s original manga. And hell, after the last three forays into a franchise once ripe for creative exploration amounted to two uninspired remakes that missed the point, and then stilted CG Motoko literally pulling the plug on a cool sf concept—full-on collective consciousness in the cyber age—without much in the way of commentary or evocative illustration in 2045, a fresh approach really is best...

ChirashiD wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
There are over a dozen versions of the principal characters at this point. Shirow even regularly reuses Motoko´s designs in his hentai but GitS 2.0 has lesbian tentacle sex so it´s not that far a bridge.

Could’ve left this last bit out.
Nah, it sounds about right. Shirow always seemed to have his hand in different markets. He's a technical illustrator, draws manga and produces adult artwork as well. Nice to see he's still active.

Lol honestly, we could all stand to laugh at Shirow’s lewder tendencies. And I can’t fault the man for getting that bag either.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I feel like all the GITS media since SAC/2nd Gig and the second Oshii movie have been mid but it's Science Saru so I'll give it a shot as long as it's not wonky CGI. Which I'm not opposed to CGI but that Netflix show was very rough. I hope they'll get the classic dub cast back for this too.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Is the GITS manga similar in tone to Tank Police? I understand that was more of a straight adaptation.

It seems that after the GITS film, I.G went, "This guy can come up with some great concept ideas" and then proceeded to pay him to come up with Real Drive and Ghost Hound. Speaking of, anyone know why Real Drive never got a western release?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I can't picture a studio like Science Saru doing something in the vein of GITS, but then again I'm not familiar with Shirow's original manga other than a few panels, so if they go that route maybe it'll work just fine.
oilers2007

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:06 pm Reply with quote
An adaption of the original manga would be nice to see if only to mix it up. Did not care for 2045 due to the CG and other things. Science Saru's artstyle is usually hit or miss for me but so long as it's not CG I'll wait to see it before i judge.

residentgrigo wrote:
The original manga trilogy aged like stale piss, especially 2.0, and are comically sexist.

Eh, people say that about the original films and SAC all the time with things like Motoko Kusanagi not wearing pants or being naked all the time or propositioning that one boy.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh ****. New GitS? Science Saru? I know what this means.

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!

Now, things would be perfect if we actually had news on that Akira adaptation.
Vent

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 10:15 pm Reply with quote
If this is going to be close in tone to the original manga people who watched the Oshii movies/SAC are not prepared.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3