• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where do you get your Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gzilla04

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I get mine from Amazon, BestBuy, and Ebay. Amazon is the best online shoping store in my opinion.

^Those are places I get Anime from. I get other kind of movies from other website.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I get all my anime from DeepDiscountdvd.com

They have the selection and price.

For manga I usually go for Amazon.com because I like to pre-order alot of it to get it out of the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
mmxzero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:16 am Reply with quote
I get my dvds at Sam Goody and Best Buy.
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote
tetsusaiga-kyo wrote:
I wish Ebay would do something to stop the listing of bootlegs though.

Don't know if eBay can necessarily tell the difference between a bootleg and a legit anime (though I'm sure it can't take too long to set up). As for me, Deepdiscount consumes most of my funds, though I've been known to shop at BestBuy when it goes on sale (couple weeks ago they had 20% off all anime; picked up 5 discs there).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Papa-Cha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:52 am Reply with quote
I'd go to Best buy cause some of the anime thats $30 a disc like miami guns, angel tales, samurai deeper kyo, and azumanga daioh and other titles are always $20 but some are $23 or $25.
Sometimes i go to borders even though they usally sell them regular price, I preordered the second disc of oh my goddess and got for $17 instead of $25.

Sometimes i go to amazon, ebay or yahoo auctions even though there title base is limited. otherwise id go to [This URL is a known bootlegging website], [This URL is a known bootlegging website], or [This URL is a known bootlegging website], if im looking for cheap import titles.

I sometimes shop at this store in ventura i live in southern california the place is called cartoon star they sell import anime at fairly expensive price of $16 a import disc but they have a cheap $10 bin where u buy 4 get 1 one free . I was able to get Ninja scroll but its an unmarked title so the subtitles on it arent that great
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:06 am Reply with quote
Papa-Cha wrote:
Sometimes i go to amazon, ebay or yahoo auctions even though there title base is limited. otherwise id go to [This URL is a known bootlegging website], [This URL is a known bootlegging website], or [This URL is a known bootlegging website], if im looking for cheap import titles.

Yup, and all the stores you mentioned sell bootleg DVDs, which explains why they're cheap -- they're illegal. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Depression

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I buy most of my anime off of deepdiscountdvds.com they usually have the lowest prices. However, if it is something I cannot wait for then I will usually pick it up from my local BestBuy yet they only have a limited section.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I get my anime mainly from Suncoast and Bestbuy, and sometimes on base at the BX, but the BX haphazardly acquires anime, they buy randomly, they'll have DVD 4 and 5 of a particular series, but won't have the rest of it, or in particular, there's one DVD that has been on the shelf for close to two years (the same one, I swear), "Burn up Excess: Case of the Black Diamonds"

I also buy from AnimEigo most stores sell very little of their DVD's
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
aisasami

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Usually Suncoast and rarely Walmart. I want to go the Base Exchange due to cheap anime (A DVD can runup to $17 with ones those Special Boxsets is $22).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gnikdrazil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:09 am Reply with quote
I mostly buy from Digital Eyes, and the occassional Right Stuf
Papa-Cha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:41 am Reply with quote
lol why would I want to rip myself off and waste my money on a domestic title
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:32 am Reply with quote
Sometimes when friends pay me a visit, they smuggle stuff back for me. It's all legit stuff, but illegal because they're not censored.

I usually shop all over Singapore. It's not difficult since Singapore is so tiny. But there are about 5 shops that I frequent because they have the un-mainstream stuff and some difficult to find stuff. Half of them are most likely boots but in any case, they're the only versions on sale in Singapore, and besides that the government doesn't care.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Papa-Cha wrote:

Because buying domestic titles helps companies license more anime, which I guess for you, would lead to more bilingual bootlegs to purchase from eBay. Razz
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Papa-Cha wrote:

Hmm.. so you feel like ripping others off instead? Besides sites such as DeepDiscountDVD are very affordable.
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Papa-Cha wrote:
So then why waste it on bootlegs. And what is wrong with domestic titles?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3