• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gabriel DropOut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BethanyP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Quite so. Vignette acts more like an angel than a demon - therefore she is bad at being a demon. Problem is, in practice she's simply being cast in a very typical straightman role which isn't really adding much to the skits.

Really, this episode had Satania stupidity in spades. Handing over her weapon to her (imagined) nemesis, believing the angel when she starts declaring the rules of a completely unfamiliar game, etc. In short, too stupid to have tickled my funny bone
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I continue to describe Satania as Yuru Yuri's Akari if she tried to be evil. She is no longer invisible, but her lameness leaks into her trying to be evil and self destructs her, maybe with a fusion of Sakurako who is always trying to show herself as superior only to prove the opposite. Vigne is is Yui if she had Kyoko's sense of adventure. And Raphiel is evil Chitose, maybe Kyoko's troll side.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Cute episode. Razz

But seeing Satania point a gun at Gabriel in school, my immediate thought was "oh boy, the US censors is going to love this". So I won't be surprised if the gun is altered for overseas or the scene gets removed altogether.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:18 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
But seeing Satania point a gun at Gabriel in school, my immediate thought was "oh boy, the US censors is going to love this". So I won't be surprised if the gun is altered for overseas or the scene gets removed altogether.

When would a show like Gabriel Dropout ever get picked up by a US television network? We never even got K-On on TV over here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:49 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
SWAnimefan wrote:

When would a show like Gabriel Dropout ever get picked up by a US television network? We never even got K-On on TV over here.

SWAnimefan was probably referring to a physical release as opposed to broadcast, but, of course, I'm not sure. I had the same thought about how that same scene would never fly in Western animation, but fortunately anime is very much under the cultural police (both right and left versions) radar in North America so there is a good chance the scene wouldn't be censored or cut in a home release version. After all, CR ran it as is.
reaslin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:51 am Reply with quote
I agree on everything but the Gabriel counting, which made me smile on both occasions, as silly as it was.

Last edited by reaslin on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
wastrel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:38 am Reply with quote
realem wrote:
I agree on everything but the Gabriel counting, which made me smile on both occasions, silly as it was.

The Gabriel counting (Gabriel Lullaby?) had me laughing. I hope that makes it onto the soundtrack CD.
DanQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:09 am Reply with quote
realem wrote:
I agree on everything but the Gabriel counting, which made me smile on both occasions, silly as it was.

First scene with Gabriel counting was so so, but reprise in form ending song sold me Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DanQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:11 am Reply with quote
Raph brings badminton to play it with sick person – that's pretty diabolic, isn't it? ~_^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
At this point, Gabriel Dropout has really solidified its place as my favorite show of the season. It quite simply has everything I need in a light and fluffy show right now.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
DanQ wrote:
realem wrote:

First scene with Gabriel counting was so so, but reprise in form ending song sold me Anime smile

Taking away that awesome ending for the sake of the joke with the Gabriel counting.

I...I just can't find the justice in that, I was missing the ed this week Sad
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
"Back in my day, they used to call me the indestructible Buddha-face."

"I'm not sure what that means, but wow!" Oh, Vigne.

I would buy a book that was just Vigne's diary if they made one.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
I was wondering when Heaven and Hell were going to start pushing back with respect to their respectively crappy angel and evil-less demon. I can't say their QC systems are that great, but I guess reducing stipends is a start? I appreciate the thought of a Vigne-heavy episode, but I have to say this one wasn't among my favourite of the season. Vigne's "bad deeds" schtick was pretty reminiscent of Satania's "breaking proper recycling rules" etc of the first episode. In fact, other than the counting Gabriels bit - which didn't do much for me - there really was no new comedic element. Even an under-powered GD episode is better than a lot of other comedies, but I hope next week is funnier.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
The "counting Cerberus" followed up by "counting Gabriel" was super cute, especially as the ending theme where they showed how many Gabriels were counted before she drifted off to sleep (33). Other than that, for an episode without much Satania it was pretty good. Satania remains my favorite of the cast though.
dash56

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
Another episode that's all warm and fuzzy. This was really fun and I was happy to see coffee guy again. I couldn't help but imagine him hanging out with Tweek's dad from South Park and just talking about coffee.

Also that high five was a pretty awesome moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5