• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What does Sailor Moon mean to you? Entries Part 1

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princessneise

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
KnightSaber03 wrote:
I know I hit no more than 100 words because I manually counted several times. Hopefully, the word count program they may use doesn't include spaces and punctuation as words.

Some word programs count contractions like "don't" as two words because don't is short for "do not".

This is why in one word counting program my entry only had 97 words but in another word counting program it was exactly 100.

So it all depends on what ANN wants to consider as a word.

I hope more finalists will be released soon. I still think I can become one.
leonasenshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Nah.

They have to, because that one 'someone' could be many 'someones' and that would really, really be annoying, and rather than the exception, it would be more unfair than what you're suggesting. They have way too many entries to allow an "exception."

They have to, and if they don't, then these people have really poor skills and experience on how to make good contests, not having included a word counter in the submission form is the main problem, I do think it would be totally unfair to not reinstate the original finalists that had the 100 words exactly and were then taken down, if they want to enforce the rules being that they themselves screwed up things by not providing that counter, people were forced to use different methods to control that, how it's possible to have a different counter show a different amount of words is beyond me, but many of us did use http://www.wordcounter.net/ and if ANN has NOT replied to this thread, it's because they know they screwed people up who did respect the 100 word limit but were still taken down and they don't want to admit it.

I've participated in many contests for different things, and the one thing that really upsets me is unfairness, unfairness to let people keep their entries when they clearly went over the 100 word count and unfairness for those that DID respect the limit yet we were also taken down because of this technicality, using word or http://www.wordcounter.net/ gives different quantities, they should look at that again.

I'm pretty sure that if you were a finalist and taken down because of THEIR mistake, you would be upset too.

We don't complain here because of nothing, there's a reason a lot of us are very upset with how this contest is being handled and it's unfairness.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Anyone else think they should postpone the voting/judging/etc.. until they get everything settled? They said it'd take 2-3 days to get all the finalist out...yet, already two days have past and we've hit quite a big bump in the road... At this rate, I hardly doubt a winner can even be chosen by the 30th.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
sakurablossom143 wrote:
Anyone else think they should postpone the voting/judging/etc.. until they get everything settled? They said it'd take 2-3 days to get all the finalist out...yet, already two days have past and we've hit quite a big bump in the road... At this rate, I hardly doubt a winner can even be chosen by the 30th.

I agree... and it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Also I think they didn't even did a scoring for the finalists, I think they just diecded everyone who followed the rules was a finalist. They proablly thoguht there going to be less people entering.

I hope if they do another contest like this again they should more effort into into it.
JudySparrow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Looks like it's still at 50 entries like a few hours ago.

I'm worried when they'll put up the ".... Entries Part 2" ?
I'm just sooo curious.... Confused

I hope that people won't be banned because of their words are a bit more than 100. I'd like to see what people made for this contest. <3
dlready87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I just put the entries through Word and wordcounter.net and both programs gave me the same number of words...
silentgrace7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Alright guys, lets relax a bit. Yes, there's a major bump in the road, and yes, it's evident that this has stopped the flow of getting the finalists out. That's why they included the little notion "dates are subject to change"--for little follies like this that end up taking days or weeks to straighten them out. But it's just a contest, isn't it? Smile Let's just all have fun and love Sailor Moon~ After all, winning or losing is very small in comparison to the point of this contest, isn't it? At least, to me it is (I could be a part of the minority on that...haha).

And right as I speak, they've posted two more parts to the entries of the Sailor Moon contest! (technically 1 more, since part 2 is actually part of the batch that they pulled from part 1. They were probably shortening the pages to make them easier to access). Part 3 is a broken page which will be up later, but the newest entries on part 4 look amazing!

Once again, I say lets have fun, and good luck to all those who've entered~
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy to see they're updating the page!
WistfulMidnight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I think perhaps, they should consider shuffling the entries as they appear on the pages aswell..
Since one of the categories literally is a popularity contest, I would say that first group has a leg up above all the others already just thanks to the exposure of sitting there for two more days than the rest. Also the fact that there are going to be -so- many that will be voted on in general...

Hopefully they do let us know how they are handling the word count though.. I'm pretty sure I am at or under 100 no matter what program is used (I made sure to use many to make sure the average was bellow, just in case..) but still, I'm a bit nervous.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
@WistfulMidnight: I agree completely!

Since the dates are subject to change, I wonder if they will?

Contest dates: (subject to change) wrote:
Finalists announced June 24-27
Voting for Audience Favorite June 28-29
Winners announced June 30

Yesterday was a full day with no updates from the staff on the Contest page (just splitting up the Part 1 entries) or in Feedback, so... Confused

I mean, aren't they gonna have to do a Part 5 or 6 since Parts 1 and 2 are originally from Part 1? I'm just really confused on how all this will be managed.
silentgrace7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:

Yesterday was a full day with no updates from the staff on the Contest page (just splitting up the Part 1 entries) or in Feedback, so... Confused

I mean, aren't they gonna have to do a Part 5 or 6 since Parts 1 and 2 are originally from Part 1? I'm just really confused on how all this will be managed.

Well, if you look carefully on the entry page, right after it says "part 4" it says "more coming soon" Smile So I find it safe to assume that there will be at least 5 parts, if not more.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I saw that. I guess I'm just more worried that they haven't told us in the forums what's going on. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Just my inner admin (another site) tendencies shining through I guess.
silentgrace7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Teehee, it's fine. I understand entirely Anime smile (I haven't been an admin before, but I think I understand where you're coming from at least ^^" I'm probably a bit spoiled by websites that let you know everything that's going on during a project, haha).
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why everyone is talking about postponing voting.

You can't even vote for them yet.

So far, it seems like they're on schedule to me.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
I don't know why everyone is talking about postponing voting.

You can't even vote for them yet.

So far, it seems like they're on schedule to me.

They're not, they're behind a day, not only that but we're not even at the half way point for the finalists as there are about 500... so unless they put all 300 remaining finalists tomorrow it's probably going to be delayed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 29